The disconnect-old/new fans

This past year I've really noticed how there seems to be a connection between the fans who complain in hopes of a better sport aka the old guys, vs "our sport is thriving like never before, it's growing leaps and bounds"=the newer fans(2007+)

I can respect how mma was introduced to both. 
The newer fans got in or are getting in when the sport became widely accepted and that allowed the sport/UFC to grow. With the sport getting so much acceptance, UFC gets to put on much more fights per year, in many different locations, really expanding their growth.
New fans get a lot more fights, a lot less mismatches and more competative fights as we have much more talented guys per capita than in the older days.

These new fans don't really appreciate, and can't really be expected to appreciate, the older fans mentality-
The older fight fans got to see this sport on a whole different level, not just acceptance, but evolution of the fight game. Fights weren't around every corner on hdnet/mtv2/spike/fuel/fx/fox, anytime on youtube, etc...

When fights came around, it was a very special thing, and it meant for this rare(shunned occassion), we got to see men who were the baddest dudes of their areas, compete against top dogs of other areas/countries as well. When we got to see a guy beat multiple guys in one night, it truly meant without any question, THAT GUY was the toughest mother fucker of all of them. It truly was something special. It was a bonus if the fight ended up being a barn burner.

Newer fans tend to defend the strategic gameplanning of not putting yourself in danger and emphasizing that, more than finishing your opponent. The way the rules are and the reasons for the rules(acceptance) are set up allows this thing to happen. 

When a fighter utilizes this method, it's because they can. Whether you like effective use of strategy or you think it's a cop out, you're entitled to your opinion. 

BUT-for those of you who within the past year or 2 are becoming tiresome of the same old, "bullshit decision, that guy ran away the whole time", I have a reality check-You're going to have to get used to it.  These are the days. These are the days that mma has become, the negatives have been talked about for years, it's nothing new. This sport is the way because it had to become that way.

"D241-where the fuck are you going with this?"
Improvement.
Starting with the top organization who undoubtidly has the top talent in the world and the means to obtain the top who aren't.

UFC-Bellator-OneFC-I ask you this, is mma not accepted yet? If not, HOW MUCH LONGER do we have to go?
Reason I ask, is because what I REALLY REALLY want, is this-

Better rules, better scoring, better fights.
Rules-We got worldstarhiphop and tmz and youtube who show more violent material than a UFC fight, come on lets be real, it's 2012 now, not 2000.

Rhianna has taken a bigger ass whipping than some fighters who ran around and avoided a fight, and she's a pop star, And that was 2009!

What would be the problem with allowing knees to a downed opponent? Headbutts? Would that just be too attention grabbing and have a genuine chance of ruining our sport of fighting?

Time limits. As pointed out by fighters and Joe Rogan, humans aren't wired for 25 minutes of fighting. I'm sure most of us have been in at least 1 fight in our lifetimes, so you know they don't last long. I thinkg 10 minutes is more than enough time for 2 men to determine who is better. But don't have judges. Leave them out the payroll. Don't worry about paying out a winning bonus if the fight goes to decision, because then it would be a draw. Draws won't have much impact on how a fighter climbs up the ladder. If the losing fighter puts up a fight for at least 3 minutes before they were finished, give them a paycheck that isn't as big as if they won, but bigger than if it went to decision. This would encourage exciting fights and finishes.

Otherwise, we'll continue to have a great imbalance actual epic fights vs epic fights that could have happened.  

10Marlons -  REALLY? Really? did you actually think I would read that garbage?

AHA! How did you know it was garbage if you didn't read it?

Apart from the last part its pretty accurate imo

edit; spelling

short version, if you're a new fan, don't listen to anything that sounds negative to you and enjoy what you like about what you see.

if you're an older fan, you know that 2 men fighting each other, it should not take more than 5 minutes to see who is the better fighter if they're fighting. 10 minutes is plenty, 15 would guaratee to be enough. We need to drop the judges, encourage finishes by paying the loser more money than the fighter would make if it went to a draw, Fights that go to a draw get the least pay, unless the higher brass feels a helluva fight was put on the whole time. Allow more ways to damage/finish your opponent by opening up the rules, allow knees/kicks to a downed opponent, no fish hooking, biting, eye gouging, or groin shots, everything else goes. You can keep no hitting to the back of the head if you really want to. It's 2012, UFC/mma isn't viewed as violent as it was in the beginning.

how badass would a one fc one night 16 man tournament be?

jason73 - how badass would a one fc one night 16 man tournament be?

I'd learn the name of the winner that's for sure.

maybe you younger fans have a sharper memory than me, but I'll forget half the names that were on the most recent ufc card.

I think when you are bored with something, you should try something else.

I think when you are bored with something, you should try something else.

tldr 

themmaexpert - I think when you are bored with something, you should try something else.

I was going to reply, "like what, your momma".

But I realize you have a good reason to say that.

But mma isn't a slut to me. I've had those, mma is an actual love. I fell in love with her early on, and she's given me many great years, some good times and bad, the good definitely out weighing the bad. But her tits are starting to sag. 

I don't have the money for breast implants, but Zuffa does. Zuffa-can you inject some silicone into the current saggy tits por favor? You'll get to squeeze and see them too

I'm sure I could get with some new fad to catch my interest for a while, but I doubt it would have the staying power mma has had with me over the years. If something could catch my interest like mma did, that'd be TITS! (natural)  But probably only temporary. I'd be content if my proven love could just fix herself up a little, put on some make up and make herself good like she used to.

D241 - 
themmaexpert - I think when you are bored with something, you should try something else.

I was going to reply, "like what, your momma".

But I realize you have a good reason to say that.

But mma isn't a slut to me. I've had those, mma is an actual love. I fell in love with her early on, and she's given me many great years, some good times and bad, the good definitely out weighing the bad. But her tits are starting to sag. 

I don't have the money for breast implants, but Zuffa does. Zuffa-can you inject some silicone into the current saggy tits por favor? You'll get to squeeze and see them too

LOL!!!! Great quote. But yea it sums up exactly how I feel.

ArtWanderlei -  

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/members/d241/

But I feel you on credability of older join dates Art. Be proud of your 01 join date. I was posting back in 2000-2008ish on mmafighting.com as my main site. 

But I haven't been a part of this forum since the join date you quoted, but I have been a fan longer than my join date here as I have proved to you, so, your welcome bud.

10Marlons - I bet you just copied his SN.

I could sign up as d241 on MMAJunkie and give the links to your fake sherdog account and look legit.

You confident to BET a screen name since we're talking about screen names then?

IwillSuckTheSkinOffYourBone - 
10Marlons - 
D241 - 
ArtWanderlei -  
  http://www.sherdog.net/forums/members/d241/

But I feel you on credability of older join dates Art. Be proud of your 01 join date. I was posting back in 2000-2008ish on mmafighting.com as my main site. 

But I haven't been a part of this forum since the join date you quoted, but I have been a fan longer than my join date here as I have proved to you, so, your welcome bud.
I bet you just copied his SN.

I could sign up as d241 on MMAJunkie and give the links to your fake sherdog account and look legit.

He probably went to watch snuff videos, never to return.

You got snuff video links? Spill the beans. If you got em, post em, otherwise you're full of shit

Why, D241, are you responding to a known troll? Bump the thread? Understandable.