The Dragon Departs Bellator

MIAMI – Lyoto Machida is not ready to hang up the gloves just yet.

The former UFC champion is hoping to get one more fight before walking away from MMA. Machida (26-12 MMA), who was most recently fighting under the Bellator banner, is no longer with the promotion and now sits as a free agent, MMA Junkie confirmed on Friday.

The 44-year-old ideally would like to get one more fight in before putting an end to his illustrious career.

“Yes, I would like to fight at least one more time, who knows can be the farewell or something like that,” Machida told MMA Junkie at Friday’s UFC 287 legends Q&A with Georges St-Pierre, Vitor Belfort and Chris Weidman.

Machida was last seen in May 2022 at Bellator 281 where he suffered a first-round knockout loss to Fabian Edwards. Almost a year removed from that contest, Machida has kept busy – even if inactive professionally.

“So I’m training pretty much every day because I love to train, it’s a part of my life,” Machida said. “Martial arts is in my blood, but you never know. I train with the young guys and I do sparring at least once a week and I feel very good. For now, I don’t have any offers, so I prefer just to keep training and do what I love to do.”

UFC ?

1 Like

I’ll watch him fight Perry in BKFC.

1 Like

Do ya think they will bring him back ?

They would just feed him to some up and comer. It’s strange he didn’t stay at Bellator, they would definitely give him a sendoff fight. They treat their legends well.

Maybe for one or two if he doesn’t out price himself.

1 Like

If hes still drinking his own Urine Your In

2 Likes

He can try that Karate Combat league.

1 Like

WunderMan ?

Go to Rizin and get on the juice for a bit. They have tons of fighters in their late 40s and even 50s on their roster that are in every show. Would be a great fit honestly.

2 Likes

Crazy.

Guys who should have been done so many years ago always popping up with “I want one more!”

It is a shame Machida will end his great career fighting somewhere below Bellator where less than nobody will see him.

2 Likes

zactly

1 Like