The Enigma of the UFC's Lightweight Division

Knee pads aren't allowed... or ankle braces for that matter... in all states. For example, in California this weekend for WEC, nothing was allowed. But still... Aoki is the F'ing man. Guy is bat shit crazy... in a good way. 

Joe Lauzon - 

I wasn't butt hurt I wasn't on the list... I would have argued against myself being on the list for those two reasons you gave had I been. 

This humility is why I'm a big fan of Joe's. I think that Joe will be in the mix for the LW title in about 4 fights. Regardless I'll always be a big fan. Plus he kicked Chip in the leg which was fucking hilarious!!!

EckY - 
Legless -  I think JZ, Kawajiri, and Alvarez would do fine, but take the pants away from Aoki and he becomes less of a threat (yes I know he beat Eddie). Sakurai is WW and I don't know that he could make 155 very easily.

This shit about Aoki not doing well without his pants is ridiculous, he did fine in SHOOTO without them and if he wanted he could just do what Kitaoka did at the last Pancrase if he felt he needed some extra grip to combat the use of vaseline in US MMA:

Unfortunately we will probably never know since Aoki has said he won't fight in the UFC.

RaginRedneck169 - 
Joe Lauzon - 

I wasn't butt hurt I wasn't on the list... I would have argued against myself being on the list for those two reasons you gave had I been. 

This humility is why I'm a big fan of Joe's. I think that Joe will be in the mix for the LW title in about 4 fights. Regardless I'll always be a big fan. Plus he kicked Chip in the leg which was fucking hilarious!!!

Thats how you deal with trolls in real life! I wish it were that easy on messageboards... 

Legless -

Unfortunately we will probably never know since Aoki has said he won't fight in the UFC.

Maybe not UFC but Coker wants to get him in Strikeforce.

I would obviously love to see Aoki in the UFC but I think there might be more interesting matchups for him in Strikeforce...I mean how great would an Aoki/Diaz fight be? or how about Aoki vs. Josh Thomson, Jake Shields, Gilbert Melendez, even KJ Noons....imagine the possibilities...

Legless - 
EckY - 
Legless -  I think JZ, Kawajiri, and Alvarez would do fine, but take the pants away from Aoki and he becomes less of a threat (yes I know he beat Eddie). Sakurai is WW and I don't know that he could make 155 very easily.

This shit about Aoki not doing well without his pants is ridiculous, he did fine in SHOOTO without them and if he wanted he could just do what Kitaoka did at the last Pancrase if he felt he needed some extra grip to combat the use of vaseline in US MMA:

Where the fuck did you hear that new guy? I have read many Aoki interviews in which he states he would like to test himself against the best in the UFC

Legless - 

Source my friend?

EckY - 
Legless -

Maybe not UFC but Coker wants to get him in Strikeforce.

Why would he fight in Strikeforce but not UFC? Same rules, same cage, possibly less money? I guess the lack of elbows to the head on the ground might appeal to him.

So I was right about BJ beating the piss out of Kenny & feel that he will similiarly beat the piss out of Deigo...the question becomes what next for BJ after he dismantles Deigo?  I'm just hoping that the UFC does something with him in mind and signs some top ranked lightweights...I'd really be stoked if they signed Takanori Gomi;  if they don't I'm afraid he might get bored....& we all know how well that turns out.

"Why would he fight in Strikeforce but not UFC?"

He'd still be able to fight in Dream.

If BJ beats Diego, Maynard is the obvious next challenger.

Oh, and if they really wanted to sign the #1 guy in Japan right now, it would probably be Mizuto Hirota.

If Spencer Fisher beats Joe, he should get the next shot.

Jesus, I hope to god they just give Maynard the Okami treatment.

After he decisions Huerta for his 5th decision in a row we get to see him fight BJ for the title, that really shows the UFCs lightweight division is in desperate need of some new talent.
The guy is obviously good and I suppose 5 wins against all tough guys could warrant a shot, but the thought of getting up for a BJ Penn vs Gray Maynard title fight is pretty weak imo.

Zedlepln - 

If Spencer Fisher beats Joe, he should get the next shot.

Nah, the win over Uno was too close and controversial. I'd want to see him avenge the Edgar loss or beat someone like Florian or Sherk before getting a title shot.

fiercedragon - 
Obiewon -  So I was right about BJ beating the piss out of Kenny & feel that he will similiarly beat the piss out of Deigo...the question becomes what next for BJ after he dismantles Deigo?  I'm just hoping that the UFC does something with him in mind and signs some top ranked lightweights...I'd really be stoked if they signed Takanori Gomi;  if they don't I'm afraid he might get bored....& we all know how well that turns out.

and penn already beat gomi so FAIL...

That fight was almost 6 years ago;  both guys are completely different fighters now and the UFC is in desperate need of help in its lw division.  He fought Caol Uno, Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, & GSP twice...why would Penn/Gomi II not be a compelling match-up?

IF THE TALENT IS SO WEAK @ 155 WHY IS IT THE ONLY WEIGHT WHERE THE U.F.C. AND W.E.C. OVERLAP??? 155 IS THE TOUGHEST WEIGHT CLASS.

I lol'd.  So all the best LW's, outside BJ, are not in the UFC?  Good times.

I think we will learn a lot about Maynard in his next fight, but I see him as the best LW in the UFC outside of BJ at this point. His stand-up is improving dramatically and his wrestling is obviously great.

The LW's mentioned outside the UFC are all good and would do well in the UFC, but I still see Penn as the clear top dog.

dream fight for me would be BJ/Alvarez.