The FBI recovered a huge chunk of the Colonial Pipeline ransom by secretly

‘Just happened to have the password’

3 Likes

How did that happen. Just happened to have the password?

1 Like

Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of paying the the first place? Isn’t there some way for them to activate the ransomware again?

Looks like ransom requests might go back to stacks of unmarked bills?

2 Likes

Big fucking deal. The hackers still made $1.1 million which in itself justified the hack in the first place.

I would imagine that they would patch the vulnerability

I’m curious about how all this plays out. The hackers have their own code of ethics that says if we encrypt your stuff, we’ll give you the ability to unlock it if you pay. If they don’t unlock it, they ruin their business model because people will stop paying. Now you have a business that pays, then takes the money back. Where does that leave the hackers? I’m worried they could just say “Fuck it. If we’re not getting the money let’s just lock these companies data and leave it.” Given the SolarWinds hack, there’s no telling how much damage they could do purely out of spite.

1 Like

The “hackers”.

4 Likes

They’re not breaking into code, but I don’t have a better word for them. Do you?

No but I just put them in quotes.

The fact that they just happened to have the password to their Bitcoin wallet leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2 Likes

So Biden’s team gave back the money to the FBI ?

3 Likes

The hacker for chan strikes again.

1 Like

Seems like they must have an insider in the organization or have compromised where they store the private keys. That Russian organization probably has quite a few members. Pretty lax security for a hacking crew.

Of course they did, they probably had a deal worked out with them before hand… it’s just another political ploy to push uncle Joe’s infrastructure bill.

3 Likes

They had the password because the FBI were probably the ones that hacked it in the first place. False flag to push internet regulation. Or they did some shady illegal, mass spying/data capture shit to recover it.

5 Likes

Also FBI today:

The FBI having the password to a Bitcoin wallet the hackers used is super fucking shady.

9 Likes

This is actually a huge fucking story and of course nobody on the OG actually understands the gravity of the FBI magically having a bitwallet encryption key means.

4 Likes