The Final Countdown Movie (1980) Thread

I got a firestick and was watching older movies last night.  I am not sure if you guys remember this movie "The Final Countdown" It's a science fiction film about the USS Nimitz carrier that travels through time to December 6th,  before the 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor.  It has Martin Sheen and Kirk Douglas in it plus a lot of Navy extra's that had speaking parts. I know there are some historical inaccuracies with the photos of Pearl Harbor and the sidewinder missles on the F-14's but I think it would be a cool concept to revisit. It raises a lot of questions despite cheesy effects.  What would have happened if the carrier took on the whole Japanese Fleet?  How would it impact history?  Is there a remake planning to be made?

Been a while since I watched it. All I remember was the cheesy FX.

Great movie. 

This mother fucking movie. 

Fantastic.  

Another similar film I like is Time Slip with Sonny Chiba.. A group of 'modern day' soldiers get transported back to feudal Japan..

It odd that this theme hasn't been visited much in cinema.

I thought Final Countdown was the A abomb TV movie from the 80s? Huh... learn something new. 

Splash the zeroes!

Loved that movie as a kid. I remember being pissed when they launched all the aircraft to intercept the Pearl Harbor attackers, and then they had to return when the time warp came back.

BostonCharm -

I thought Final Countdown was the A abomb TV movie from the 80s? Huh... learn something new. 

You're thinking about The Day After.

Well I guess then people might have not been born was the premise. There is a lot they could have do with this concept.

Spider Rico -

This mother fucking movie. 

Fantastic.  

It really is. I am sure the Navy would do a remake. They always want to recruit.

I love this movie - need to watch it again!!

It's on Netflix I believe.

TTT

Zeros vs. F-14s!

T-9's the mocked up to be like Zero's from what I read.

Great movie. It is on Amazon Prime.

ferox - Another similar film I like is Time Slip with Sonny Chiba.. A group of 'modern day' soldiers get transported back to feudal Japan..

It odd that this theme hasn't been visited much in cinema.

Wasn't there a person who posted a story on reddit about modern day group of soldiers (and their gear and vehicles) getting transported back to roman times?

The story got so many views that some movie studio bought the rights to the story.

Anyone remember this?

Yeah and it didn't go anywhere with the studio. Years ago there was a thread about it on here. It's a great premise for a movie.

There's a whole series of books starting with "1632" by Eric Flint where a whole West Virginia mining town of about 3000 people gets transported to Europe in (you guessed it) 1632.

The identify themselves as Americans, and everyone is like, "Oh, that pissant little colony the British just lost?" ;-) and yet they turn out to have like a National Guard unit and cars and modern guns and so on and they become a major player in Europe politically over time, becoming the USE - United States of Europe.

Of course, the most important thing the town has is their library, with all kinds of stuff that helps them develop what would be fairly low-tech to us but is super high tech to 1600's Europe. It also goes a lot into cultural stuff, how all the women act differently, how we hate slavery and such, phenomenal advances in medicine, and it has some thought-provoking aspects.

Fascinating stuff, not so much as how the high tech Americans kick ass as it is about how things would change politically with democracy getting a powerful foothold in central Europe and how it changes world history. It definitely has a "Game of Thrones" feel in that it is not afraid to kill major characters at the drop of a dime.

Alas, later books wound up getting shitty writers to work on them.

Sounds vaguely familiar.....

I did read a book where a bunch of South Africans went back in time with a bunch of Ak47s to the Civil War era to help the South win (and prevent the abolishing of slavery)...