The FREAK!

Bradu,

I want a copy of this when its finally done. Can you either keep us updated or let us know what to do know to buy a copy?

Fucking awesome.

Actually bradu I like the background, the texture behind Tony gives the
3 dimensional appearance and it looks great. I would like to see you
work with that type of background a little more...there is some
potential there. If you remove Tony from that you may have a work of
art.

I am in!

Rob, my email to you got returned.

Despite mostly positive feedback, I don't think I'm done with this one yet. I don't think I've ever been so undecided on a painting, I can't decide if I love it or hate it but it's definitely not somewhere in between. But since I still haven't decided hours later, I think I'll try a few things that I was meaning to do from the start.

My original intention was to have the painting perhaps 50-75% blue-green, 10-25% red, and 5-10% each of purple and yellow. But as I toyed with the background, I originally had way too much purple, and the more I looked at it, the red and yellow contrasted with the figure and that's what I liked. But now I've almost completely covered the purple and green in the background with red and yellow...I just think I overdid it a bit and whereas in earlier stages the foreground and background had a connection, now they are somewhat disconnected. So what I'm going to do is go back in and add some more greens and purples to the background, covering some of the yellow. Not that any of you care about the finer points, but anyway...

That is by FAR your best work

wow; YOU GOTS SKILLS.

BajaBryan, if you're interested in purchasing any artwork, give me an email at brads-art@brads-art.com

thanks for the compliments

DiscoNfrno,

I would normally ignore your comment, but I will make an exception here to clarify why Tony pulled such a bone-headed move. I don't care for that type of behavior myself!

However, to hear Tony tell that story sort of puts it into perspective. Keep in mind that I didn't say, it makes it "right", I just said that it puts it into perspective.

Tony basically watched (over and over) the tape of Renzo stepping on Ben Spijkers neck, so when he fought, I don't know if it was an intentional or subconscious thing, but he did the same thing. Also, keep in mind that at this point in Tony's life, he also thought that he was going to beat Kevin Jackson with, I guess some people call it a "rape" choke. His comment before the fight was, "What is he going to do? Wrestle me to death?" LOL!

Obviously, Tony looks back at that point in his life and laughs at how silly he was. He is one of the most respectful and humble guys at the gym now. I am NOT a fan of the disrespectful behavior myself, so if I didn't feel that Tony deserved someone sticking up for him, I would not have said anything. But, due to the fact that he doesn't post on here, and I know that he is sorry for his past behavior, I felt that I should share what I know about him.

Also, you should read the "Miletich Journey" in the JOURNALS section at the website www.beyondmass.com! There is a great thread on there about my roommate that just moved out here to train with MFS. He details what he is going through and talks about how cool Tony is. It sort of gives you another perspective.

Anyway, I hope this helps, because Tony doesn't deserve to be remembered for such a silly mistake!

:)

How the heck does that put things into perspective? I thought you were going to type a story about how his opponent talked about his momma or something...

At least Renzo had some provocation, as stupid as he acted.

Brad,

The green in the background is prominent enough. More might hide Tony.

I'm curious to see what adjusting the purple will do.

most of us are judged by our actions

Why do you always copy a photograph? WHy don't you ever do original poses or scenes?

"How the heck does that put things into perspective? I thought you were going to type a story about how his opponent talked about his momma or something...
At least Renzo had some provocation, as stupid as he acted."

Oh yeah, did I mention that his opponent talked aobut his momma? ;)

As I look at the picture again, the green and red in the background is nice, it emphasises the blood on Tony.

Not sure bout the yellow.

Anyway, jest an opinion

"Why do you always copy a photograph? WHy don't you ever do original poses or scenes?"

It's a different type of art entirely. It's kind of like asking a guitarist "why do you always play the guitar, why don't you play the drums instead?"

The skill of drawing itself is acquired by being able to see, understand what you see, and replicate what you see. Drawing from imagination is entirely different. It is virtually impossible to draw something 'realistic' from imagination. If I were to do original scenes or poses, it would not be realistic at all...it would be cartoon like. There's nothing wrong with cartoons, it's just not what I do.

For what it's worth it's something I am interested in and working on.

Wildcard and Prince Albert, thanks for the feedback that goes a little bit deeper than just "cool!" or "you suck!" Not that there's anything wrong with one line compliments, but it's refreshing to see that someone took a little time to look at a painting once in awhile.

Anyway, I do agree...the yellow is overdone. What I like about the yellow is that it provides a value contrast whereas none of the other colors really do. The purple I want to just add a tiny bit more to complement the yellow, not go nuts. But I do think it could use a bit more green in the background, mostly on the outer edges so that Tony doesn't get lost as you suggested he might, but so that a stronger connection is drawn between figure and ground.

Before I applied so much red and yellow to the background, what I really liked about the green is that it made it look like there was a wall behind Tony...it gave him a 3 dimensional feel and seemed to place him in an environment. But now with so much red and yellow, it makes him look somewhat 3 dimensional and 'pop' from the background, but it no longer seems to add an environment, it just seems to seperate figure and ground almost completely. Not sure if that made any sense but that's what I'm feeling right now about it. So I'll probably change it up a bit and maybe tighten up some details on Tony as well. I'm still not quite there with the likeness I don't think.

Oddly enough, the Tony Fryklund image is the "Image of the Week" on the MMAReview.com web site.

It looks like the Incredible Hulk getting pissed off in church.