The gauntlet

I know some people have to run the gauntlet when getting promoted. I'm interested in hearing how many you had to go through, what it was like, etc.

When I got my blue, I had to roll with 17 different people, starting with day one guys. I remember my first guy was obese, and while he had no skill, he was very heavy and wore me out. I finally tapped him and was completely gassed. I won my next three in decent fashion, and lost all the rest. I puked 2x.

Anyone else with interesting stories?

the only gauntlet we run involves wet belts with knots in them, pain, and some serious welts.

we dont do the belt whipping, but basically you train with everyone and they all try to kill you. i got my ass kicked last night after getting my purple.

Baroquen Record - we dont do the belt whipping, but basically you train with everyone and they all try to kill you. i got my ass kicked last night after getting my purple.

How many was it? Did you get any breaks, or was it one after another?

we roll with everyone in class,if theirs less than 15 or so,then your gonna roll with a few people multiple times.There is no stopping,and as your finishing up with one person the next will attack you from any side,you basically dont know who's next and where there coming from.Its a great time by all,especially if your not one of the ones promoted

Belt whippings baby!

for blue belt we do something very similar but we start with 20min of guard passing drills non-stop we then get about 10min rest then have to roll with every colored belt one by one. When one is done the next guy jumps right on without letting you stop. It is known that you will get a knee to the belly from all everyone while everyone tells you to not tap.

For purple belts and up we whip then as they crawl on their hands and knees without their gi top on.

best one I've been to was at Check Mat in Sao Paulo (Leozinho's school)

The guys have to walk the gauntlet with hand behind there heads. Now blue belt walks up and back, purple belt up and back twice, brown goes three times and black goes 4 times!!
Of course all the BB line up and Judo throw you after that.

I saw a guy get his BB, big tough guy I trained with before, man they beat the shit out his back, after the third time he begged Leo to let him stop, Leo LOL'd and said porra! and the guy went again, I felt bad for the guy.. But I still whipped him! lol

Tough love! ;-)

Oh yeah, there was 25 BB there to throw the guys too!

Ouch!

I can't believe people would do that kind of thing. Absurd!

jjd - best one I've been to was at Check Mat in Sao Paulo (Leozinho's school)

The guys have to walk the gauntlet with hand behind there heads. Now blue belt walks up and back, purple belt up and back twice, brown goes three times and black goes 4 times!!

I saw a guy get his BB, big tough guy I trained with before, man they beat the shit out his back, after the third time he begged Leo to let him stop, Leo LOL'd and said porra! and the guy went again, I felt bad for the guy.. But I still whipped him! lol

Tough love! ;-)

My instructor is from Checkmat and this is basically what we did, BUT I had to walk the gauntlet as described above (back and forth) THREE times for my purple. It was brutal and the pictures of my welts afterwards look disgusting.

Joe

for the most part, if someone is getting blue, purple, whatever, they roll with everyone and everyone goes hard, THEN they get the belt as a surprise.

i remember i was wrapping up a session w/ a guy who was on the cusp, and he didn't know he was getting the blue after rolling w/ me. i crushed him, and after was like, "You're almost there man. Any day, moment, the blue is there.. You're soooo close." he was like, "thanks man, just trying to bring it and show the techs....etc etc" and whap, he catches a blue belt smack on his back. he turns around to receive it and i'm like, "See, told you it was close.".

i like those days at the dojo. seeing a young twenty something get the blue belt after hard sessions... it's pretty great motivation for us higher belts to see it.

JoejitsuMD - 

Tough love! ;-)

My instructor is from Checkmat and this is basically what we did, BUT I had to walk the gauntlet as described above (back and forth) THREE times for my purple. It was brutal and the pictures of my welts afterwards look disgusting.

Joe

Joe knows the love! lol

i dont want to ever get promoted again bc i fear the gauntlet. last promotion was
6 years ago before our class did the gauntlet

Empire - for the most part, if someone is getting blue, purple, whatever, they roll with everyone and everyone goes hard, THEN they get the belt as a surprise.

i remember i was wrapping up a session w/ a guy who was on the cusp, and he didn't know he was getting the blue after rolling w/ me. i crushed him, and after was like, "You're almost there man. Any day, moment, the blue is there.. You're soooo close." he was like, "thanks man, just trying to bring it and show the techs....etc etc" and whap, he catches a blue belt smack on his back. he turns around to receive it and i'm like, "See, told you it was close.".

i like those days at the dojo. seeing a young twenty something get the blue belt after hard sessions... it's pretty great motivation for us higher belts to see it.

We do something similar at mine. Thank God my coach doesn't believe in that gauntlet business.

Luckily, no gauntlet for my blue. I might still be a white belt.

jjd - 
JoejitsuMD - 

Tough love! ;-)

Joe

Joe knows the love! lol

Shit man... My instructor is from Checkmat in SP with Leo, and there is a rumor that my purple is coming soon. I'm getting phantom pains just reading this...

Root12 - 
jjd - 
JoejitsuMD - 

Tough love! ;-)

Joe

Joe knows the love! lol

Shit man... My instructor is from Checkmat in SP with Leo, and there is a rumor that my purple is coming soon. I'm getting phantom pains just reading this...

Get ready! lol

I hope you don't train with Pancho, cause he will bring a whip! :-)

Tough love! ;-)

It'd make me think twice about wanting my next belt.

Am I the only one that thinks that this kind of hazing doesn't belong in BJJ? It's not like anyone who earns rank hasn't already paid the price.

Give it to me on the mat; I'll be in hell and love it.