The Goat's 2nd Blog on Title fight with Shields

here you go.  Any thoughts?

Nick Thompson's Blog for "Countdown to Welterweight Gold"-- T-Minus 10 Days

Blog by: Nick "The Goat" Thompson

Fights are often hyped by playing upon the animosity between the two fighters. It is going to be difficult to push that angle here. It is clear that Jake and I have nothing but respect for one another. And that respect is well deserved.

Each of us has worked hard excel in every discipline of mixed martial arts. This will be the first fight in which I have ever been a part where neither myself nor my opponent will have a clear advantage in some area of the fight. This is not to say that there aren’t areas where I think I am better than Jake or areas where he is better than me but I realize that the gap in those areas is very slight.

I think I can out strike Jake but Jake’s striking is technically sound and much underrated. It is just an area of his game that has not been showcased because he has been so successful at taking down and submitting his opponents. And in that vein, I know Jake may have an advantage over me on the ground. At the same time, the majority of my wins have come via submission and I beat a jiu-jitsu brown belt at his own game in my last fight. This level of parity is rare in a mixed martial arts fight and it is why I am so excited for this fight.

While it is exciting to have a fight that is going to test me in every area of the sport, I would be lying if I didn’t admit that it also makes me nervous. I am nervous for every fight. While this is a sport that I love and enjoy, it has become more than that. Mixed martial arts is my career. It is how I support my family. This fight in particular has the ability to catapult my career. The last time I faced this scenario, I fought the best fight of my life. I was able to use the nervousness to push myself harder than ever in training. I have been able to do the same for this fight, hopefully to the same end. Two weeks until I find out and each day seems to take longer than Christmas Eve did as a child.

Editor's note: Nick Thompson and Jake Shields fight at CBS & EliteXC Saturday Night Fights: Lawler vs Smith II on July 26th. The winner will become EliteXC's first Welterweight Champion.

Imo:

If he beats Shields that should put him in contension to fight Maoshun.

OR

??

Did I read he is studying for the bar at the same time as training for this fight and takes the bar two days after?  Better not get ko'd and dislodge all that knowledge!!

PittWrestler -  Did I read he is studying for the bar at the same time as training for this fight and takes the bar two days after?  Better not get ko'd and dislodge all that knowledge!!

Something like that.  Nuts huh?

The Bar exam is the 29th and 30th. That'll give him a whole day to prepare after the fight. Plenty of time!