The Guillotine Guard - A new form of Guard Control

The Guillotine Guard is a new form of Guard Control that can be used from a variety of positions in No-Gi & MMA. It is a ver powerful control that will give you solid sumissions and good transitions into other strong positions. In my opinion once it is looked it is one of the strongest forms of guard control.

If you like to get the whole system. Check out the link:

https://www.budovideos.com/collections/latest-products/products/guillotine-guard-2-dvd-set-with-bjorn-friedrich

Table of contents

Volume 1 – Closed Guard

Intro

Arm-In Guillotine

100% Control – 3 Control Positions

Clearing the arm – The double Underhooks

The „Dumb Triangle“

Double Underhooks – Triangle

Double Underhooks – Hammerlock

Transition into Arm De La Riva

Arm De La Riva – Stickshift Armbar

100% Knee Shield to Straight Armbar

100% Knee Shield to Guillotine

100% Knee Shield to Back Take (Side Guard)

About Sweeps

Dealing with the Stack

Volume 2 - Open & Butterfly Guard

Arm-in Guillotine

100% Control

Arm Saddle

Hammerlock

Straight Armbar

Failed Back Take

Arm De La Riva – Stickshift Armbar

Arm De La Riva – Reverse Triangle

Arm De La Riva – Reverse Triangle – Backside 50/50 Heel Hook

Get up

More about control

Entries into the Guillotine Guard from different positions

interesting…

I was working something like that for a while from crucifix that I got from tonon and was having some good success with.

It is really a strong position. Esspecially to counter people who try to pressure pass you with their head down. It is much easier to get 100% Control (the first step) than get a guillotine.

100% position (or 200% if you like that variation) has always seemed very strong for sweeping, back takes, and finishing in itself. I’m curious why you decided to explore further?

Interesting, I was playing around with exactly this right before the pandemic.

Very cool control, gonna give it a go

Actually I never was able to pull of the Arm-in Guillotine in a smooth way. I was able to choke or crank with strength but never able to make it smooth like ahigh wrist guillotine or RNC.

So I was sitting down and researching the mechanics with my student. When I worked the choke I felt that as soon as my hands are closed and I keep sitting straight I loose my base and structure and I felt the weight of my partner when he was pushing into me.

So I changed that and I fall to the side while applying the choke which changed that choke big time and made it really effortless.

From this side position I just ask: What if the choke doesn´t work? 100% Sweep is something I knew since the 90ees but it was to hard to pull of if someone is strong and has good posture.

SO instead of pulling away from the underhook I turned to the side of the underhook. I grabbed my leg and that´s how this position was born

Interesting

Zero1 -

Actually I never was able to pull of the Arm-in Guillotine in a smooth way. I was able to choke or crank with strength but never able to make it smooth like ahigh wrist guillotine or RNC.

So I was sitting down and researching the mechanics with my student. When I worked the choke I felt that as soon as my hands are closed and I keep sitting straight I loose my base and structure and I felt the weight of my partner when he was pushing into me.

So I changed that and I fall to the side while applying the choke which changed that choke big time and made it really effortless.

From this side position I just ask: What if the choke doesn´t work? 100% Sweep is something I knew since the 90ees but it was to hard to pull of if someone is strong and has good posture.

SO instead of pulling away from the underhook I turned to the side of the underhook. I grabbed my leg and that´s how this position was born

Very interesting thanks for explaining

The Gimp - 
Zero1 -

Very interesting thanks for explaining

that is interesting in that it seems to bring the inside of your elbow more to his armpit rather then your forearm which could be driven down. definitely a version to keep in mind

jeff glover and roger gracie have nice explanations of their own version that’s been working well for me. It’s similar in the way it moves your arm, but you instead sort of lift your hips off the floor and bring them to his hips. No matter how he moves, it doesn’t really matter because you’re just moving with him. So the principle does seem to be the same.

Yes if I go for the Guillotine with my right arm around his neck I put my armpit tight at the side of his neck. When I fall to the side my choke arm is reaching to the celing or is being pulled with the other hand into the direction.

It puts torque and pressure on the neck feels like you don´t squeeze at all and will get the tap.....

How often do you get that arm de la riva on people? I just noticed your bottom leg isn't a butterfly hook, it's all the way across his body. How do you get into this position? (Not trying to shit on you or say this position doesn't work, it's just my brain is trying to figure out how you would break down posture like that with your foot all the way across their body and isn't coming up with any answers.)

The arm de la riva is more of an option. Whenever you clear the leg there is a path to the arm saddle which is high percentage. So arm de la riva is something on the path. If you get it good there is the stickshift armbar which is high percentage or you can also get to your knees and of course the reverse triangle trap is there.

However if you don´t get it just move on to the arm saddle or triangle if you are closed guard…

You can now also get VideoOn Demand:

https://www.budovideos.com/collections/on-demand-1/products/guillotine-guard-with-bjorn-friedrich-on-demand

Save money with the DVD bundle

https://www.budovideos.com/collections/latest-products/products/guillotine-guard-the-jiu-jitsu-cradle-4-dvd-set-with-bjorn-friedrich

My website is finally updated. If you want to learn more about my approach check out:

Now at Fanatics:

If you want 40% discount on my videos then use the Code 4JULY2021 at BJJ Fanatics

Any footage of this type of guard actually being used in competition against skilled opponents?

1 Like