The hate for Nickelback.

I don't own any Nickelback albums, not really a fan but I don't get why people pile onto them?
Surely this is a gang mentality thing, something that just caught on and now they are the butt of the joke?
There are thousands of bands that are worse than them, and a lot that are just as well known.
If you dislike Nickelback then you should also dislike Foo Fighters, because to me they are just as bland, just as safe, middle of the road, boring rock as Nickelback.

I think it's something people do to try to be funny. They are the same as almost every top 40 band. 

Hi Chad Kroeger

derekbob - 

I think it's something people do to try to be funny. They are the same as almost every top 40 band. 

this.

fuck nickleback

While I agree on the foo fighters it isn’t to the same extent.

Nickelback is like a crossover or what became country music, generic lyrics about the same broad bullshit and the same like 3 note 

I think people bitch at Nickelback because of Nickelback fans. 

A bit off-topic, but I always thought Def Leppard was pretty awesome and considered a trend-setting band. To my surprise, apparently, they are viewed as the Nickelback of the 80s.

derekbob -

That's what I'm saying.
Why were they singled out? Just right band, right time?
Our local rock radio station like to advertise that they don't play Nickelback, and make little jokes about them here and there, yet they go on to play Foo Fighters, Creed, this new theory of a dead man band song etc.
What's the difference? They're all boring as fuck.

Foo Fighters are not Canadian. How dare you sir!

Sogsteel - Foo Fighters are not Canadian. How dare you sir!

rush?

Jobe Watson version 3.0 -
derekbob -

That's what I'm saying.
Why were they singled out? Just right band, right time?
Our local rock radio station like to advertise that they don't play Nickelback, and make little jokes about them here and there, yet they go on to play Foo Fighters, Creed, this new theory of a dead man band song etc.
What's the difference? They're all boring as fuck.

I certianly can't say why. I would guess they just got made fun of and people started to pile on until it became what it is today. What I find entertaining is the people who always tell the joke think they are hilarious, but they are just saying the same shit everyone else says. Like telling a waiter, "How about a million dollars?" when they ask if they can get anything.

Something kind of similar happened after the 40 year old virgin made fun of Michael McDonald. A lot of people liked to make fun of him for years after that movie came out.

They are the walmart of rock bands.

People hate them because they suck. Not in a "it's trendy to hate this band" way, but because their actual music is terrible. It's not wrong to call shitty music "shitty music", and Nickelback is shitty music.

AnthonyWeiner - People hate them because they suck. Not in a "it's trendy to hate this band" way, but because their actual music is terrible. It's not wrong to call shitty music "shitty music", and Nickelback is shitty music.

This. There is nothing artistic about their sound. Nothing thought provoking. Nothing creative. When I listen to them I feel nothing.

dustynothing -
AnthonyWeiner - People hate them because they suck. Not in a "it's trendy to hate this band" way, but because their actual music is terrible. It's not wrong to call shitty music "shitty music", and Nickelback is shitty music.

This. There is nothing artistic about their sound. Nothing thought provoking. Nothing creative. When I listen to them I feel nothing.

You just described almost every top 40 artist.

And I agree, they suck.
But let's not pretend that they are the only well known, established band that play terrible, bland, cheesy music.

FAR from my favorite band, but I'd rather listen to them than many of the "artistic, thought provoking" bands.

Just curious, here: Do you make fun of them often in casual conversation? If so, do you think you're funny when you do? (I'm talking actual conversation, non-internet)

This is fucking why:

"Look at this photograph
Every time I do it makes me laugh
How did our eyes get so red?
And what the hell is on Joey's head?
This is where I grew up
I think the present owner fixed it up
I never knew we ever went without
The second floor is hard for sneakin' out"

Literally terrible lyrics. I don't mean intentionally silly pop song lyrics like The Ramones or someone. I mean laughably bad lyrics.

Hated em since the day I heard them.