The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug trailer

Here's the US version

Here's the US version (previous post was the international version).....

d'oh!  double post fail!  er..... MURICA!

*runs from thread*

I watched The Hobbit (finally) the other day. Didn't really do a whole lot for me. I love LOTR and The Hobbit is one of my favorite books, but the movie left something to be desired. I can't even place what it was - I liked the acting, the effects were good, but it just seemed meh.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thanks for posting this Paw.

dizz - I watched The Hobbit (finally) the other day. Didn't really do a whole lot for me. I love LOTR and The Hobbit is one of my favorite books, but the movie left something to be desired. I can't even place what it was - I liked the acting, the effects were good, but it just seemed meh.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, thanks for posting this Paw.

I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I've asserted LOTR is possibly the best trilogy in film...but the Hobbit was meh and I can't quite put my finger on why.  The casting and acting was sublime, effects were solid...but it just didn't have the "magic" I guess.

So at this point peter jackson is just raping the corpse. Every change he made in LOTR was a bad one and this is just getting worse.

BigWilliam - So at this point peter jackson is just raping the corpse. Every change he made in LOTR was a bad one and this is just getting worse.

I don't know if I would go that far.

But I do wonder why a brand new character that doesn't appear in the book is being introduced (name escapes me, but it's an elf being played by Evangeline Lilly - there's a few shots of her in the trailer)  and I really, really wonder about how truthful claims for a triology were "artistic", because the cynic in me thinks it was financial.

paw - 
BigWilliam - So at this point peter jackson is just raping the corpse. Every change he made in LOTR was a bad one and this is just getting worse.

But I do wonder why a brand new character that doesn't appear in the book is being introduced (name escapes me, but it's an elf being played by Evangeline Lilly - there's a few shots of her in the trailer)  and I really, really wonder about how truthful claims for a triology were "artistic", because the cynic in me thinks it was financial.

I think it's 65% financial and 35% Jackson being unable to edit himself. He suffers from GRRM syndrom - churns out some great stuff, but can't edit himself worth a damn. I loved the LOTR trilogy but it could have used some cuts, and Jackson's other movies (King Kong, etc) all were longer than they should have been.

I think he was having problems cutting The Hobbit down, and as soon as the studio saw that they just saw a way to capitalize and make more and more $$.

Just my opinion.

Awesome paw!!

dizz - 
paw - 

I think it's 65% financial and 35% Jackson being unable to edit himself. He suffers from GRRM syndrom - churns out some great stuff, but can't edit himself worth a damn. I loved the LOTR trilogy but it could have used some cuts, and Jackson's other movies (King Kong, etc) all were longer than they should have been.

I think he was having problems cutting The Hobbit down, and as soon as the studio saw that they just saw a way to capitalize and make more and more $$.

Just my opinion.

Solid opinion, imo.

In Phone Post

This looks just awful to me. Another three hours of them falling off of breaking shit. Love how they turned even riding the barrels down the river into some kind of ridiculous Universal Studios thrill ride.

Even the look of it grates on me, everything looks so fucking fake, especially Smaug. Jurassic Park came out 20 years ago for god's sake.

Rankin-Bass cartoon crushes this in every respect, especially Smaug.

I won't watch it now because I fucking hate Orlando Bloom.

spits venom

F u elfboy!

Why does it show so much of legolas? Been a good ten years since iv read the book but pretty sure he wasn't in it

He better not be there for the whole movie Phone Post

60% of these movies was not in the book, so why not add Legolas and Kate from Lost as a red-haired elf with a bad british accent too?

Orlando Bloom will not rest until he pussifies every movie he can, that's why Legolas is in the film.

Man, I fucking hate how the LOTR movies try so hard to make Legolas a badass. And who the fuck is that female elf character? Unnecessary.

peter jackson wishes he could come up with a narrative one tenth as complex and involving as what GRRM does. And was I seeing things or is Orlando Bloom playing two parts?

BigWilliam - peter jackson wishes he could come up with a narrative one tenth as complex and involving as what GRRM does. And was I seeing things or is Orlando Bloom playing two parts?

Maybe he has a twin

Very disappointed with the trailer

The CGI on smaug looks pretty shitty aswell =( Phone Post