Christianity has not been tried

because people thought

it was impractical.

And men have tried everything

except Christianity.

And everything

that men have tried

has failed.

I like that alot, the excuse of impracticality is self fulfilling prophecy, ofcourse it will not work if it is never tried.

rev

Could it ever really work?

yes, it will work, I have seen it work.

rev

I think guys like Ghandi and the Lubavitcher Rebbe would suggest other ways are possible Rev, though all inspired from the some place.

Gandhi followed Jesus example and was quite explicit about that.

rev

Didn't ghandi sleep with a bunch of naked girls to prove he could resist temptation? Or is that a myth.

ghandi believed in the example but not in the one that provided the example. I guess that's how compelling the actions of Jesus were, that even those that cannot accept him exclusively as Lord cannot deny His actions.

Gandhi believed in Jesus, so much so that he actually did what Jesus did, you however that say you believe in Jesus so much, and talk about your faith and belief, but you will not live as he did.

rev

I suppose by that reasoning that I am a drunken degenerate that is of completely loose morals, trying to sleep with any woman he can, and concerned only with himself. I am a illegal drug user, and gang member, and selfish member of society.

People change, the racism that Gandhi exhibited when he was a young lawyer in South Africa, changed to a point where he actually lead a rebellion of blacks against whites, where he told a hindu man to raise a muslim child as a muslim in penance for killing a muslim child. It is funny how in Christian circles we celebrate a man who was once a satanist, drug addict, or racist that is now a Godly man, who has rejected his former ways, but when a non Christian has the same testimony we label them a racist. The height of moral hypocrisy.

rev

damnit Rev! Every time you speak I see the beauty of your religion. Instead of walking Jesus' walk can't you just tell me I'm going to hell. If a majority of Christians acted like you, I'm not sure I could resist converting- lucky me, my family won't disown me this way.

MS

Don't say that MS the fundies will use that as ammunition to say I have watered down the gospel.

:)

rev

some people are Jesus' hair, other's are his heart.

you: Gandhi believed in Jesus, so much so that he actually did what Jesus did, you however that say you believe in Jesus so much, and talk about your faith and belief, but you will not live as he did.

me: I'm not sure if you are referring to me, but you don't know me personally at all, so you are guilty at the very least of being presumptious.

ghandi did not believe in Jesus enough to even consider His exclusive claim. Jesus said, "if you love me, you'll keep my commandments". He commanded all men, to believe and obey His gospel. To believe in who He was and to accept and apply His work on the cross.

You seem again, to think that one's works, or a pseudo social gospel earns salvation.

This is a distortion of the gospel and an insult to what Jesus said, did and demanded of His disciples. He did not tell His disciples to continue to be Jews, to take care of the poor but be comfortable in not believing who He was.

He said, "unless you believe that I AM, you shall all die in your sins..." and "before Abraham was, I AM."

Ghandi did not believe that Jesus was the great I AM that died for His sins. So whatever satisfaction you hold in lifting up non believers for their works, it is not comparable to one who accepts, believes and applies the gospel.

Ghandi did not do what Jesus did. He did not die on a cross of repentance with His Lord. He was not buried with Christ in baptism, calling on the name of the Lord for the remission of his sins, and He did not join Himself with the power of the resurrection by being filled with His Holy Spirit.

It seems to me that you have a pantheon of secular saints that you extol while consistently seeking to exercise your past fundamentalist sins by putting down your brethern, whom you don't know.

Weird.

"So whatever satisfaction you hold in lifting up non believers for their works, it is not comparable to one who accepts, believes and applies the gospel."

This is the great evil in fundamentalist religion

Gandhi did believe in Jesus, He believed enough to do what Jesus did. Gandhi did not believe in Christianity, because in it he saw the destruction of his people, and the ugliness of religion that had long since been married to empire. In the great commission Jesus tells his disciples to make disciples, and baptise them, and to teach them to obey his commandments. Obey. So Gandhi obeyed Jesus commandments, but did not get baptised. You by your own admission do not believe you are called to live like Jesus lived, nor the twelve. This is not what I am saying it is what you have said. Gandhi had every right to be distrustful of the Christian religion, the Christian religion is what held his country in bondage and oppression. You fail to recognize how married Christianity has been to empire. So here is a guy who reads about Jesus, and in his own conception sees in him the greatest light of man, and in his admiration of Jesus dedicates his entire life to following Jesus, even to the point of his own death. Ganndhi gave his life for his friends and his people, which is ultimately what Jesus did. If you believe in Christ, really believe in Christ, with all of your heart, then why don't you live the life Jesus lived? Why do you spend your time working to accumulate stuff you don't need?

It is funny, you are filled with the Spirit, baptised, and know all the "correct" doctrine, yet this non Christian, unbaptised, not spirit filled heathen lived a more Christlike life than you do. Yet all you can do is fight for your doctrine. It is a shame.

rev

^^ Bang.

A non-Christian holy man who found concepts within another religion that he thought could be benefit others? Wow.

Now let's see how many fundamentalist Christian thumpers will try that on.

yet this non Christian, unbaptised, not spirit filled heathen

Hell,Ghandi went to HELL because he was not a Christian

I'll be in good company. By a totally strict interp. on being filled with Holy Spirit and acceptance of Jesus as the Messiah, probably 90% of humanity is condemned. Woo Hoo! Of course, if we accept metaphor and allegory, then things change.

MS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6UrMTC73A

Rowan Atkinson sums it up to a tee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC6UrMTC73A

Great post Rev,

I've always said (even as a "vitriolic" atheist) that the world would be a better place if their were more real christians following the example of Jesus.

Life is about action - not constant judgement