The infamous "fist bump..."

I was recently compared to a "grumpy old man" on a previous thread and after reading the "ooossss" thread.... A common theme emerged; OG guys who apparently have as much disdain for the word "osss" as the infamous "fist bump."

My question is, who here hates the fist bump as much as I do? Why? And what is your counter attack?

Having trained for 13.5 years, I'm just a grumpy old man and see it as trendy and dumb. Why??? I have no idea. My counter is nothing. I simply shake hands and when the fist is presented in 'bump' form, I just pretend it's not there and start to train. Phone Post 3.0

I have also tried a counter similar to "get that corn out of my face" (Nacho Libre), but I've found it to be ineffective and evolves into a conversation that I would rather not have. Phone Post 3.0

just grab their fist and say 'paper beats rock'. You'll win the psychological mind game before the roll even starts.

I always think of the fist bump as a boxing thing, because, needless to say, that's how you shake hands when you have gloves on.

So Shen and Chris, safe to say you're both against it as well? Is it just an old man issue?! Do you join the festivities when other people do it to you? Phone Post 3.0

It doesn't bother me, but I have been know to do hubad on the incoming limb for fun.

I have nothing against it either but I can never judge if its is going to be a fist bump or a hand slap so it just usually ends in fumbly, awkward hand interactions, so in that sense yes, I'm against the fist bump. Phone Post 3.0

IT always throws me off i'm used to just the hand slap then someone sticks their fist out and i just armdrag them

Chris Coogan - just grab their fist and say 'paper beats rock'. You'll win the psychological mind game before the roll even starts.
This. Phone Post 3.0

When I first started training I would often present my rump when the fist was offered up. Just a natural reaction I suppose. Everyone would say "why do you always start off in donkey guard", I would say WTF is donkey guard.

I am as much against oss and other trendy nonsense as anyone, but the fist bump is a practical improvement over a handshake. Here and there, someone shakes your hand, doesn't quite release it, and tries to turn it into a drag or something of that nature. This eliminates that possibility.

I don't like "osss." Me and my training partners use it jokingly and to mock things just to make fun.

But we hand slap fist bump all the time. So what if it's trendy. It takes about half a second and doesn't impede in your training in any way. I can see people being annoyed with OSSS because it's people just regurgitating a word about a culture they may not even know or understand. A fist bump is just a friendly acknowledgement that the training is going to start that follows the handshake

I train with both an old school 4th degree black belt and his instructor who is an even older school 6th degree BB on the verge of his red & black and they both use the hand slap fist bump. Neither use OSSS though

i harbor disdain for people who use .5 years of training in their posts...break it up into months already

falsecrack - i harbor disdain for people who use .5 years of training in their posts...break it up into months already
Haha agreed. That was a dummy move. Phone Post 3.0

Slap hands and first bump all day

Osss

shen - 

It doesn't bother me, but I have been know to do hubad on the incoming limb for fun.

nice!

paw - 
shen - 

nice!

Shen probably also mixes in nerve destructions and lap sao's

If you're not first, you're last

Bro, it's just a bro fist, bro, knowwhatimsayin?

liquidrob - Slap hands and first bump all day

Osss
This! Osssssss!!!!! Yaaaaay!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

I did it back in 1998 so im not sure how new it is actually.