The infamous "fist bump..."

RockTheVote - I hated it for awhile and now I don't care. I've been hand slapping, then then they hold up a fist I hit it with the back of my hand. I've had two students ask what the meaning behind using the back of my hand is, instead of the traditional fist. I just blank stare them. "None of it means anything." Phone Post 3.0
Actual best post yet. I have done this several times as well. Phone Post 3.0

The Professional - I was recently compared to a "grumpy old man" on a previous thread and after reading the "ooossss" thread.... A common theme emerged; OG guys who apparently have as much disdain for the word "osss" as the infamous "fist bump."

My question is, who here hates the fist bump as much as I do? Why? And what is your counter attack?

Having trained for 13.5 years, I'm just a grumpy old man and see it as trendy and dumb. Why??? I have no idea. My counter is nothing. I simply shake hands and when the fist is presented in 'bump' form, I just pretend it's not there and start to train. Phone Post 3.0

Completely onboard with this.

Isn't this same thing in all areas of life. You've been doing something in a similar fashion long period and new generation brings something new to the table.. And you think how dare they!

Of course it's stupid and useless! Phone Post 3.0

IDK... I kind of like it.. It started on the west coast and travelled east. Training partners who traveled and trained at other schools brought it back. It's kind of a reminder of the bjj community in my mind. It's not a technique or anything important but just a details that reminds me about the connectivity of bjj.

UGCTT_Fillthy - 

when the fist is presented, i bow and kiss the ring finger.

I'm old-school like that.

I thought you just placed your fist on the screen?

Back when I started judo as a small kid our instructor use to have us sit back to back
On the floor. He would then slap his hands for newaza to begin. Some would try to jump before the slap. Lol. Phone Post 3.0

Clap his hands Phone Post 3.0

I really don't care

Why anyone else would is beyond me Phone Post 3.0

Judge Mental -

I did it back in 1998 so im not sure how new it is actually.

Yeah, well I had already stopped doing it by then. Phone Post 3.0

RockTheVote - I hated it for awhile and now I don't care. I've been hand slapping, then then they hold up a fist I hit it with the back of my hand. I've had two students ask what the meaning behind using the back of my hand is, instead of the traditional fist. I just blank stare them. "None of it means anything." Phone Post 3.0
"None of it means anything", dangerous words to put in the public arena Phone Post 3.0

I'd rather 100 fist bumps than a single oss. Phone Post 3.0

I'm not sure what the big deal is with fist bumps? I was fist bumping buddies before I started doing BJJ.

Oss on the other hand... Phone Post 3.0

The Professional -
Actual best post yet. I have done this several times as well. Phone Post 3.0
HAHAHAHAHA Phone Post 3.0

xxxxxxxx -
Judge Mental -

I did it back in 1998 so im not sure how new it is actually.

Yeah, well I had already stopped doing it by then. Phone Post 3.0
Hahaha thank you. This guy is ridiculous. Phone Post 3.0

The reason why I posted this is because "the fist bump" is the catalyst of change. First fist bump.... Then kids grey belts and whatever the shit other belts they have now. Then "oss." Then god damn yellow gis. Then who ever the F knows. Phone Post 3.0

When the fist is presented, I take a deep breath and offer my hand arm wrestling style and say "to the end", and give Em a hug and a pat on the back.  Then the roll is on!

Robobear -

When the fist is presented, I take a deep breath and offer my hand arm wrestling style and say "to the end", and give Em a hug and a pat on the back.  Then the roll is on!

Yes Robo!!!! I've also tried a similar technique where i say, "listen... If we bump fists, then this roll will not be stopped by tapping... There will be no 'do you give up?!' (Said in Pride heferee voice)." Phone Post 3.0

Your mom likes the fist bumps

It initially annoyed me when it started showing up out of nowhere, but unlike Oss, I gradually stopped seeing any reason to be annoyed over it & unconsciously do it my self at this point.

45yo and I still bump... cant help it... its become part of my dna.. been around too many Brazilians for too long..