The Journey of MMA Super-Trainer Greg Jackson

The Journey of MMA Super-Trainer Greg Jackson:From hippies, to street fights, to teaching - 4/9/2008
by John Buhl

http://www.insidefighting.com/betweenRoundsDisp.aspx?uid=4376

"Only a few mixed martial arts schools can rival the level of talent that's passed through the doors of Greg Jackson's gym. He groomed Ultimate Fighter Season One winner and 170-pound contender Diego Sanchez and currently trains UFC interim welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre, Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans, Nathan Marquardt, and a slew of other top fighters and up-and-coming prospects.

But despite all of his success and his status as one of MMA's most respected trainers, Jackson is far from impressed with himself. Frankly, he doesn’t understand what all of the fuss is about. "

www.InsideFighting.com

Accepting MMA…Begrudgingly

Jackson opened his school in 1992, focusing on self defense. Not content to rely on his wrestling and fighting experience, Jackson was willing to soak up every useful technique he came across like a sponge.

“One time I was reading a judo book and it had a picture of a triangle-armbar [submission], and I thought, ‘That’s pretty cool,’” he remembers.

Diego Sanchez's (top)success on the first Ultimate Fighter season propelled Jackson's team into the spotlight, shocking the coach himself

crazy how a self taught guy with little to no formal training can be disciplined enough to teach himself the subtle aspects of MMA. And not only to understand them himself, but to have the ability to pass it down to others is very rare.

Absolutely. The Jiu Jitsu and striking being the most impressive parts of it. His guys are really skilled in those areas as well.

Thanks for reading Ramy!

the angelo dundee of mma ?????????????

perhaps

Thanks for reading eqard

Interesting input Bobby, thanks.

I personally don't think that things get easier for Sanchez at 155 and I think he has the skills to be a champ at 170.

Huge fan of Yoda, thanks for posting.

Damn good article. His attention to detail is uncanny.

any word why sanchez left jackson ? i heard rumors but didnt know for sure ...

its no secret that eqard has never cheered for sanchez ... but he is a hell of a fighter i got to admit . poor sportsmanship gets him on my shit list real quick .

my advice for sanchez's training >>>> take a year and do 10 % ground and train / spar / compete 90 % standup .... in other words forget ground training for awhile and balance urself out .... ++ take some sportsmanship lessons from coach jackson himself

You got it goeb, thanks for reading!

Glad you enjoyed it glock, I did also.

"any word why sanchez left jackson ?"

This isn't from us but I've read interviews with Sanchez mentioning that, for one, he was upset with St. Pierre being allowed to train there given that Sanchez was obviously going for the title himself. I'm sure it's complicated and nuanced though.

GREAT article as always Elias.

Thanks for the kind words and for reading as always Aus! John Buhl did a fantastic job with this piece.

Thanks to Jackson ans his camp for letting InsideFighting spend the day with them in order to work on the story.

eqard 1 - any word why sanchez left jackson ? i heard rumors but didnt know for sure ...

its no secret that eqard has never cheered for sanchez ... but he is a hell of a fighter i got to admit . poor sportsmanship gets him on my shit list real quick .

my advice for sanchez's training >>>> take a year and do 10 % ground and train / spar / compete 90 % standup .... in other words forget ground training for awhile and balance urself out .... ++ take some sportsmanship lessons from coach jackson himself

Elias is sorta right about why sanchez left, that and he felt he knew too many people in new Mexico, and needed a fresh start somewhere else. he's not partying anymore, etc and thinks he can take things more serious with his new training camp. Greg understands fully why he left and there is no bad blood.

In terms of sportsmanship i think he's improved a lot on that since the Kos fight.

awesome read TTT

"its no secret that eqard has never cheered for sanchez ..."

LOL!!! WAR etard!!!!

thanks guys for the inside ...

sanchez sportsmanship ?? .... cameras / lights and money can have a way of spinning things , you know .
i remember the kid sanchez at a texas submission competition a few yrs back BEFORE the fame hit ... did not handle himself well there and then either .... usually fame and fortune makes bad habits / traits much worse .

Thanks Van!

ttt for later