The Knockout

Hi Tony,

This is a bit of a technical question. Hope you don't mind. In my experience, the punches that have produced the best KO's for me have been quick, snappy punches, as opposed to the big, demonstrative follow through shots. Now, I'm aware that surprise accounts for many KO's(it's the punch you don't see that hurts etc.) and I know that hitting the jaw is the most reliable spot for getting the KO, but what I'm curious about is perhaps a scientific explanation behind it if you don't mind.

Why do snappy punches produce such good KO's over huge follow through shots? Let's forget the fact that huge follow through shots can be more easily avoided and for the sake of the question, assume that two punches were thrown seperately at someone's jaw that connected flush. One was a huge haymaker, and the other one was a bullet-like, snappy blow. Now, while I'm sure both can and will produce a KO, why I have I experienced more KO's with the type of punching I mentioned earlier? Or is my success simply due to the element of surprise? Thanks for your time and please forgive the long question. :-)

I am by no means an expert, but I think it is due to the head whipping back motion, which occurs more in a quick snapping punch. you may also have a stronger jab than you thought. haha..
ttt

Well, you did ask for Tony, and he is busy teaching...and teaching...and teaching.So I'll give it a try. See if you can find a copy of Secret Fighting Arts, Tuttle Press, by John Gilbey (who is actually Robert W. Smith), and go to the chapter entitled The Dinky Little Poke.(Warning: I'm quoting from memory.)What Gilbey/Smith describes is identical to the verticle jik chung Wing Chun straight blast punch targeted to the point of the jaw. He attributes its success as a knockout to its causing a rebounding of the medulla oblongata to the back of the skull, and cites E. Jokl's work on western boxing as additional authority for this proposition.Maybe your follow through with the heavier punches is taking the rebound force off target.Hope that helps.RS

*sigh* my threads going to die unanswered *sniff*

Hello Menapace,
The brain has a thin layer of fluid that surronds it
inside the skull, ALMOST like it is free floating.

When the head is jarred rapidly the brain bounces
off of the inside of the skull (the side the force was
introduced) and this will cause a knockout or
medically termed a concusion. That is why
sometimes a person will get nailed and will keep
going with no apparent injury (picture rolling with
the punches, so to speak) and sometimes
someone will get knocked out by what looks like a
tap.
Weather the force and speed are great or small if
it causes the brain to bounce off the inside of the
skull you will get a cuncussion. Now there are
varying degrees of cuncusions, any where from
slight to fatal. Picture in UFC 6 when Tank Abbot
KO's Matua, Matua takes a good shot on his feet
(brain bounce) and goes slack and falls, now
imagine the trama of falling totally relaxed and
bouncing your head off a hard ungiving surface
(like the ground) and imigane how the brain will
impact the inside of the skull. If you watch that fight
you can kind of imagine the biomechanical
mechanic's (ouch!)
Mac Hege

Thanks Mac and others. Appreciate the input.

Menapace the key distinction based on your question:Why do snappy punches produce such good KO's over huge follow through shots?

Aside from the techincal stuff already submitted. A key ingredient is prepartion. The surival system requires micro-moments warning to prepare for danger/damage...the slower the shot [relative of course] the more time to prepare.

A fast stinging shot therefore cause both psychological damage [fear, surprise, loss of balance] and physical impact [the actual blow], its the combination effect that is often overlooked.

Power shots are telegraphic in their intention and their mechanics, thus allowing the intended recipient to 'get ready'.

This theory/principle applies to ring excahnges as well as street. Ponder it.

Tony

Thanks Tony, and everyone else for your input.