The Last Ringbearer. Awesome fantasy fan fiction.

I just finished this and absolutely loved it. I'd never dabbled in fan fiction before but having heard about a book that presented Mordor's side of Lord Of The Rings, I decided to give it a shot.

History (LOTR) is written by the victors and that's the angle the author Kirill Yeskov takes. This is the story of Halladin and Tzerlag and the role they played in the third age.

It's written and translated in a modern style with absolutely great characters. None of the verbose flowery prose of LOTR. Fantasy fans give it a shot .. Oh yeah, reading LOTR is a prerequisite. Phone Post 3.0

Ignores the entire point of Tolkein's themes to push the authors axe grinding.

Huh? I take it you did not enjoy it? Phone Post 3.0

Beastro - Ignores the entire point of Tolkein's themes to push the authors axe grinding.
Explain? Phone Post 3.0

I've been meaning to read it.

Do you know where one could easily find a translated version of it?

ferox13 - 
Beastro - Ignores the entire point of Tolkein's themes to push the authors axe grinding.
Explain? Phone Post 3.0

Turning it from a work about the overlooked strength of the meek, the dangers of those who grab for power, how we're all susceptible to that and defending a good and right chain of culture despite it's flaws into one raging about religious zealots trying to suppress science.

One of the best fan fic 'other perspectives' i read was the one from the perspective of The Thing Phone Post 3.0

Thanks Phone Post 3.0

Beastro -
ferox13 - 
Explain? Phone Post 3.0

Turning it from a work about the overlooked strength of the meek, the dangers of those who grab for power, how we're all susceptible to that and defending a good and right chain of culture despite it's flaws into one raging about religious zealots trying to suppress science.
You haven't read it have you? You're quoting typical hater reviews lol.

It's an adventure like any other fantasy where the protagonist has an unfathomable mission. Of course there's science vs magic but it's done so well. Characters like Tangorn, Mongoose and his spy network, the trolls and their inventions, all awesome. Phone Post 3.0

Enamoratu -

I just googled it and you get a link to the pdf. I used that on my nook and it was all good. Phone Post 3.0

LordSeano - One of the best fan fic 'other perspectives' i read was the one from the perspective of The Thing Phone Post 3.0

That's "The Things" by Peter Watts. One of my absolute favorite authors.

Interested in both of these Phone Post 3.0

deepu - 
Beastro -
ferox13 - 
Explain? Phone Post 3.0

It's an adventure like any other fantasy where the protagonist has an unfathomable mission. Of course there's science vs magic but it's done so well. Characters like Tangorn, Mongoose and his spy network, the trolls and their inventions, all awesome. Phone Post 3.0

So you assume I'm assuming? lol

It's an angle I'm very tired of in fiction regardless of the quality. It's up there with rebels instantly being the good guys and those they fight being the bad ones.

Along with that it twice rubs me the wrong way by presenting Tolkien's world in a way he never intended in a similar vein to most Beowulf movies these days when they present Grendel as a sympathetic character/good guy and the Geats as the bad guys.

You're a barrel of laughs aren't you. Phone Post 3.0

Beastro -
deepu - 
Beastro -
ferox13 - 
Explain? Phone Post 3.0

So you assume I'm assuming? lol

It's an angle I'm very tired of in fiction regardless of the quality. It's up there with rebels instantly being the good guys and those they fight being the bad ones.

Along with that it twice rubs me the wrong way by presenting Tolkien's world in a way he never intended in a similar vein to most Beowulf movies these days when they present Grendel as a sympathetic character/good guy and the Geats as the bad guys.
But it doesn't! Haladin has some very hard choices to make much like one would in any war. Sure the elves are the bad guys but fuck them lol. Pretentious pretty holier than thou fairies :). Aragorn and the human alliances are not portrayed as the bad guys at all. It dwells quite nicely in the complexities of war with convoluted alliances of convenience.

Anyway, more than anything, it's just a fun read. Phone Post 3.0

I'm so in. Will read these soon Phone Post 3.0

deepu - 
Enamoratu -

I just googled it and you get a link to the pdf. I used that on my nook and it was all good. Phone Post 3.0

What is this google you speak of?

VU OP

Deepu - VTFU.

Just sent a PDF of it to a friend of mine - it'll be right up her alley. I might give it a go myself.

Enjoy guys. Tzerlag is a legit fantasy bad ass. Phone Post 3.0

i like it so far, but this line from Saruman rankles me a bit:

"Every generation of wizards is weaker than the previous one, so sooner or later Men will face Nature alone."

Every generation of wizards? Like Saruman would ever say that...

There are laws of the Tolkien Universe that even a different PoV must follow and treat as a fact: 5 wizards were sent from the West, that's it, that's all.

and yes, it is real to me. dammit.