THE MICE WILL PLAY.....

Hope this does'nt sound disrespectfull caus' in no way is it ment to be:
In one of the first thread someone was talking about "closing the gap" but isn't a gap a good think which one should have no interest in closing? I mean a gap must mean that your opponent can't reach you which means your out of danger?

Tom,

Thanks! Yes you answered my question!

Looking forward to the 'jab'.

P.

Thanks Tom!

My best to you and your family on Thanksgiving Day.

Tony T.

Great thread.

T

HEY GUYS!!..I FEEL LIKE SPINNING A TOM STORY SO HERE GOES!!..TIM HAD A QUESTION ABOUT SKILL VS. S&C!!..SO LETS ROCK!!

I WAS A VERY GOOD BASEBALL PLAYER IN MY YOUTH!!..I WENT ON TO PLAY AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL!!..THE TURNING POINT IN MY YOUTH WAS WHEN I WAS GOING INTO MY JUNIOR YEAR IN HIGH SCHOOL!!.. I WAS SLATED TO BE THE STARTER IN LEFT FIELD THAT NEXT SPRING!!

THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL I WAS GREETED WITH RUMORS OF A NEW STUDENT WHO WAS A HOT SHOT LEFT FIELDER!!..WHEN I FINELY MET HIM!!.. MY WORST FEARS WERE TRUE!!..HE WAS A STUD!!..6'0"..185 LBS OF RIPPLING MUSCLE AND NO BODY FAT!!..I WAS 5'7" WITH HIGH HEELS ON!!..AND 155 LBS WITH ROCKS IN MY POCKETS!!..:-)

HE WAS A WORKOUT MACHINE!!.. HE WAS ALWAYS WORKING OUT!!..HIS TIMES IN RUNS I COULDN'T TOUCH!!..HIS WEIGHTS I COULDN'T LIFT WITH A FORK TRUCK!!

I WAS SCREWED!!....SO I DID THE ONLY THING I COULD!!!.. I STUDIED THE GAME!!!..READ EVERYTHING I COULD FIND!!..I BECAME A "STUDENT OF THE GAME!!".....AND I HIT!!..THEN HIT SOME MORE!!.

I CAME FROM A SMALL TOWN SO WE DIDN'T HAVE BATTING CAGES!!..SO I HIT ROCKS OUT IN OUR POTATO FIELD!!..NO MATTER WHAT THE WEATHER OR HOW I FELT I HIT 100 ROCKS A DAY!!

EVERY DAY FROM FALL TO SPRING!!..SORE HANDS!!.. BLOODY BLISTERS!! BELOW 0 TEMPS..DIDN'T MATTER!!..I NEEDED LEFT FIELD TO CALL MY OWN!!

SO SPRING COMES AND WE OPEN CAMP!!..EVERYONE IS TELLING ME I DON'T STAND A CHANCE!!..SO WE DO THE S&C PART OF CAMP AND THIS KID IS KICKING EVERONES ASS!!..
THEN WE GET TO THE SKILL!! :-)...THE KID SUCKED!!..HE SPENT SO MUCH TIME ON S&C AND NOT SKILL THAT HE COULDN'T APPLY HIS S&C TO THE GAME!!

I STARTED AND RIPPED UP THE LEAGUE!!..THE S&C BOY NEVER PLAYED A GAME ALL YEAR!!

SO WHAT DO YOU THINK???...GET IT??? :-)

PEACE, TOM

Tom I totally get it!

"You can't swing a sword the wrong way a thousand times."

Old Samurai Maxim

Tony T.

SWEET TONY!!

BUT THIS DUDE DIDN'T SWING THE SWORD!!

HE DID EVERYTHING TO PREPARE HIMSELF TO SWING THE SWORD!!

PEACE, TOM

:-)

"The first, most important, and most ignored part of S&C training is SKILL. Nothing is more important for conditioning than the Skill itself."

Tom Campbell

AMEN!!

Awesome story and responses guys...

E

PHIL DID I REALLY SAY THAT???...IF I DID I MUST HAVE GOTTEN IT OUT OF A BOOK SOMEWHERE!!! :-)

ERIC!!..YOU KNOW COUNTRY BOYS AND STORYS!! HAHAHA!!

PEACE, TOM

TONY I JUST REREAD YOUR SAMURAI MAXIM!!...

HAHAHAHAHA!!!...NOW I GET IT!!

PEACE, TOM

P.S. OK SO I'M A LITTLE SLOW!!

Tom,

That's an awesome idea!

I'm going to have to try that one out today!

Thanks,
Jake

JAKE, I LIKE TO START THEM RIGHT AWAY!!

WHAT I DO IS PUT MYSELF AT THE PROPER DISTANCE FOR A TECHNIQUE THAT I HAVE PREDETERMINED!!...THEN I CALL THAT TECHNIQUE!!..I FIND THAT IT HELPS THEM TO DEVELOPE THEIR PROXIMITY SENSE MUCH FASTER!!

I HAVE FOUND EVERYONE CAN DO SOMETHING!!..

EXAMPLE!!..YOUR STUDENT KNOWS NOTHING!!..NO BIGGER LIE WAS EVER STATED!!..EVERYONE KNOWS SOMETHING!!...YES THEY MAY NOT KNOW A TECHNICALLY PERFECT TACTICAL SPEAR!!..BUT EVERYONE CAN RAISE AND EXTEND THEIR LIMBS!!

SO MAKE THE DRILL SIMPLE,COMFORTABLE AND SAFE FOR BOTH OF YOU!!

LIKE WHEN YOU CALL A TECH.!!!..KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!.. LEFT HAND TO RIGHT SIDE OF HEAD AND SO ON!!..KEEP IT COMFORTABLE!!!..THIS PERSON IS NEW!!.. WHAT SEEMS LIKE A LOW INTENSITY LEVEL TO YOU MAY BE OFF THE CHARTS TO THEM!!..AND MOST IMPORTANT KEEP IT SAFE!!..WEAR THE HIGH GEAR!!..YOU MAY BE GOING SLOW BUT THEY COULD GET EXCITED OR NERVOUS!!..SO PROTECT YOUR STUDENT AND YOURSELF WITH PROPER EQUIPMENT!!..ENJOY!!

HOPE THAT HELPS??

PEACE, TOM

NO PROBLEM TIM!!

IT'S JUST SOMETHING ABOUT A QUESTION WITHOUT USING MY NAME IN FRONT OF IT THAT IS RUDE TO A COUNTRY BOY!! HAHAHAHA!!

PEACE, TOM

P.S. I DIDN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTION BECAUSE I KNOW YOU ALREADY KNOW THE ANSWER!! :-)

SORRY TONY I ALMOST FORGOT YOU!!

LOOKS WELL THOUGHT OUT!!..PERSONALLY I TEACH FOOTWORK AND MOVEMENT LAST WITH A NEW TECHNIQUE!!

LEARNING TO THROW A TECHNIQUE TO ME IS LIKE LEARNING TO SHOOT!!....STANDING FIRST!!.. THEN MOVING!!

PEACE, TOM

ERIC, I MISSED YOU ALSO!!..TO MANY PUNCHES TO THE HEAD!! HAHAHA!!

MY RESPONSE WILL BE A LONG POST!!..BUT I JUST WORKED ALL NIGHT!!..BARB IS PULLING MY EAR TO GET THE TURKEY IN THE OVEN!!..THE KIDS ARE GOING NUTS!!..AND MY PAGER JUST WENT OFF AGAIN!!....LIFE IS GOOD!! :-)

I'LL BE BACK WHEN I CAN TO BREAK DOWN HOW I TEACH A JAB!!

PEACE AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL, TOM

No edge at all Tom!

I have an intense desire to glean information from you. It is very powerful and there is nothing like it around.

Did I do something wrong?

T.

Tom,
By 'technical knowledge', I was referring to the size
of someone's toolbox.
In other words, do you wait until someone knows a few
kicks, basic boxing punches, the close quarter form,
and 10 (or some other number of) grappling holds before
you start them with the range rover? What level do you
feel that the student needs to be at to benefit from
that?
I hope that makes sense...I'm working on real low
sleep right now, so I apologize if I'm incoherent.
I'll second (or is it third by now) Eric's request.
Give us the break down, please :)

Jake

How do you teach someone that S&C without skill (and vice versa, i'm sure) is useless? Why is that?

T.

NO TIM !!!..THE SKILL THAT YOU ARE TRYING TO GET DETERMINES THE S&C!!!... AND NOT VICE/VERSA!!!

PEACE, TOM