The MMA Super Athlete Has Arrived

This reeks of someone seeking approval from liberal pop-culture afficionados.

Yes, the true "super athlete" of MMA is Rousey.

HELWIG -  This reeks of someone seeking approval from liberal pop-culture afficionados.

Yes, the true "super athlete" of MMA is Rousey.

. Phone Post

behzad - 

Nicely written though. Phone Post

Thanks bro, and thanks for reading. I obviously put it here for discussion so it doesn't bother me for people to disagree with my take, but glad you checked it out

DanChow - Our friend Mike Chiappetta wrote this weekend that she has the best killer instinct in all of MMA. It’s hard to argue with him.

I like Mike, but I think that's a ridiculous statement.  Fact of the matter is that she's an Olympic level athlete competing against non-athletes and high school level athletes.  Sarah Kaufman has no athletic background that I am aware of.  Miesha Tate wrestled at the high school level.  Rousey is exposing the fact that WMMA is not very good talent wise.  She is by far the best in the world and she has achieved that status with minimal cage time, ZERO striking and 1 fucking move that she lands pretty much whenever she wants.  Only Tate made it out of the first minute with her and even she had to escape a fully locked in armbar to do so.

Ronda Rousey teaches us that WMMA is really bad talent wise. 

I agree. Honda rather than being uber athlete is showing us how far behind WMMA is behind mens in terms of talent pool. Same thing that Cyborg was doing for few last years.

Honda may as well embarass this whole division if she keeps winning like that with the same move over and over again.

There are some equivalents in men's mma like Paul Harris, yet they're nowhere near dominating.

markiz - I agree. Honda rather than being uber athlete is showing us how far behind WMMA is behind mens in terms of talent pool. Same thing that Cyborg was doing for few last years.

Honda may as well embarass this whole division if she keeps winning like that with the same move over and over again.

There are some equivalents in men's mma like Paul Harris, yet they're nowhere near dominating.

Yeah Paul Harris is nowhere close to what Rousey is doing.  She is beating the best competition possible within a minute with a move that everyone knows is coming. 

Paul Harris isn't leglocking everyone immediately at the start of every fight nor is he doing it against elite competition.

jjj2121 - 
DanChow - Our friend Mike Chiappetta wrote this weekend that she has the best killer instinct in all of MMA. It’s hard to argue with him.

I like Mike, but I think that's a ridiculous statement.  Fact of the matter is that she's an Olympic level athlete competing against non-athletes and high school level athletes.  Sarah Kaufman has no athletic background that I am aware of.  Miesha Tate wrestled at the high school level.  Rousey is exposing the fact that WMMA is not very good talent wise.  She is by far the best in the world and she has achieved that status with minimal cage time, ZERO striking and 1 fucking move that she lands pretty much whenever she wants.  Only Tate made it out of the first minute with her and even she had to escape a fully locked in armbar to do so.

Ronda Rousey teaches us that WMMA is really bad talent wise. 

Yea - I find it bizarre how female MMA fighters can spend tons of hours in a gym and yet still throw punches lke Miesha Tate does. Everything is looping, incredibly sloppy, inaccurate, and she keeps her chin in the wind constantly.

They are weaker than men due to nature but what is their limitation in learning some very basic striking technique and not make it look like a cat fight between school girls?!

jjj2121 - 
markiz - I agree. Honda rather than being uber athlete is showing us how far behind WMMA is behind mens in terms of talent pool. Same thing that Cyborg was doing for few last years.

Yeah Paul Harris is nowhere close to what Rousey is doing.  She is beating the best competition possible within a minute with a move that everyone knows is coming. 

Paul Harris isn't leglocking everyone immediately at the start of every fight nor is he doing it against elite competition.

Paul Harris is very similar to Honda in background too, only first he did mma and then competed at highest level of BJJ with a sucess.

And this whole super-athlete thing - I think MMA is getting more and more filled with those guys.
Also we did have olympic level guys from different sports or champions from non-olympic sports. Some of them did great, some of them got their ass kicked.

It's not like MMA is light years behind for example NBA in this athletic matter.
Sure NBA has freaks like LeBron James, but it's also filled with Luke Waltons - guys that are nowhere near "super athlete" level.

Elias Cepeda - StrikeForce Rousey vs. Kaufman Aftermath: The MMA Super Athlete Has Arrived   

MMA fans have always wondered what would happen if the sport grew to the point where it could attract the types of elite athletes that have historically gone to, say, the NFL or the Olympics. Surely once that happened, we’d see a marked rise in athleticism and potential in the sport we all love.

Well, that new breed of elite MMA athlete has arrived. He isn’t the dominant and other worldly athletic Jon Jones. He isn’t the pound for pound great and all-around lethal weapon Georges St. Pierre. She’s Ronda Rousey.

The Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion successfully defended her title again Saturday night against Sarah Kaufman. In about the last year and half the Olympic Judo bronze medalist Rousey has had her first six professional fights, winning all six by arm bar in the first round.

Kaufman couldn’t last a minute in the cage with Rousey before being forced to tap out. The thing is, Kaufman is a damn good fighter. So is Miesha Tate, Rousey’s prior victim.

Kaufman is a former champion and has only lost twice in her career. Tate has only lost three times. Both women have almost three times the professional MMA experience as Rousey.

“Rowdy” Ronda isn’t perfectly well-rounded yet. She hasn’t been tested in a fight yet and she simply hasn’t fought nearly as much as the women she faces. But she’s been able to dominate them all because she brings a lifetime of doing a couple things at a higher level than even most MMA champions have ever done anything.

READ MORE

Winning 9 fights the same way each time does not make you super-athletic.

Ronda will always be a pure martial artist more over cage fighter or super athlete.

This is a disappointing thread for a red namer to start.

Wait until she fights someone with a great muay thai and tdd.

My friend, the train will be decommissioned, sadly by a woman far less attractive.

The best American athletes are not going into MMA yet because A. It's a relatively new sport, and B. The money is laughable when compared to what professional basketball, football, and baseball players make. We're talking rookie pay here.

On the other hand, if you're an Olympic level wrestler or Judo player, then MMA is definitely worth a shot when compared to a coaching career at the high school or junior college level. So those are the next level athletes entering MMA currently, like Rousey.

XxLiveBaitxX - 
Elias Cepeda - StrikeForce Rousey vs. Kaufman Aftermath: The MMA Super Athlete Has Arrived   

MMA fans have always wondered what would happen if the sport grew to the point where it could attract the types of elite athletes that have historically gone to, say, the NFL or the Olympics. Surely once that happened, we’d see a marked rise in athleticism and potential in the sport we all love.

Well, that new breed of elite MMA athlete has arrived. He isn’t the dominant and other worldly athletic Jon Jones. He isn’t the pound for pound great and all-around lethal weapon Georges St. Pierre. She’s Ronda Rousey.

The Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion successfully defended her title again Saturday night against Sarah Kaufman. In about the last year and half the Olympic Judo bronze medalist Rousey has had her first six professional fights, winning all six by arm bar in the first round.

Kaufman couldn’t last a minute in the cage with Rousey before being forced to tap out. The thing is, Kaufman is a damn good fighter. So is Miesha Tate, Rousey’s prior victim.

Kaufman is a former champion and has only lost twice in her career. Tate has only lost three times. Both women have almost three times the professional MMA experience as Rousey.

“Rowdy” Ronda isn’t perfectly well-rounded yet. She hasn’t been tested in a fight yet and she simply hasn’t fought nearly as much as the women she faces. But she’s been able to dominate them all because she brings a lifetime of doing a couple things at a higher level than even most MMA champions have ever done anything.

READ MORE

Ronda will always be a pure martial artist more over cage fighter or super athlete.

My friend, the train will be decommissioned, sadly by a woman far less attractive.

Where is this mythical female with "great" muay thai and tdd?  She does not exist.

There isn't the pool of women competeing at sports from the early age and honing their skills likethere are for men. There are lots of male amateaurs out there who train like pros but you never heard of.

Apples and oranges do not make a fruitbasket.

UGCTT_NKTKDace -
Elias Cepeda -  He was the third name I thought about putting in there along with Jones and GSP of other great fighters who also don't have the athletic pedigree as Rousey. 

What are those couple of things she does at a higher level? Phone Post

Arm bars for one. Phone Post

jjj2121 - 
XxLiveBaitxX - 

READ MORE

Where is this mythical female with "great" muay thai and tdd?  She does not exist.

I'm not sure where the fighter is, but it's going to take those skills in a fighter to push Ronda and prove to the OP just how "super" athletic she really is.

I like Ronda alot, but to say she's "super" athletic is premature at this point since she hasn't been pushed back.

My target point is she falls under the category of "martial artist" and not "super athlete" since she relies so heavily on her technique.

Same category with Lyoto Machida who relies heavily on his technique.

SwampRocker - i won't comment on the super athlete title. i don't aknow enough of her back ground, although if it's just judo as mentioned in the article...there are plenty of other mma fighters out there from other backgrounds who have racked up 6 wins in a row.

my question...if she REALLY thinks she can take Cyborg, it should be her place to gain weight and go to Cyborg's class as opposed to telling Cyborg to cut weight. sounded like a cop out, call out.

Yep, I thought the same... and Rousey was at 145 previously... 

XxLiveBaitxX - 
jjj2121 - 
XxLiveBaitxX - 

READ MORE

I'm not sure where the fighter is, but it's going to take those skills in a fighter to push Ronda and prove to the OP just how "super" athletic she really is.

I like Ronda alot, but to say she's "super" athletic is premature at this point since she hasn't been pushed back.

My target point is she falls under the category of "martial artist" and not "super athlete" since she relies so heavily on her technique.

Same category with Lyoto Machida who relies heavily on his technique.

She is an Olympic medalist in a combat sport.  That alone makes her a super-athlete.  She is competing against girls who are either not athletes or who competed at a very low level athletically.

SwampRocker - i won't comment on the super athlete title. i don't aknow enough of her back ground, although if it's just judo as mentioned in the article...there are plenty of other mma fighters out there from other backgrounds who have racked up 6 wins in a row.

my question...if she REALLY thinks she can take Cyborg, it should be her place to gain weight and go to Cyborg's class as opposed to telling Cyborg to cut weight. sounded like a cop out, call out.

This.

People who throw their laptop over a YouTube comment that you can see a boob at 1:33 don't deserve to call out someone like Cyborg.

As for Super Athlete?

Kayla just won GOLD in judo.

Guess she will be coming and is even better. Phone Post

kanodogg2 - 
Elias Cepeda -
kanodogg2 - 
DeusEx - A bronze medalist in a weak division is our super Athlete....LMFAO.

We had #1 guys from other sports like BJJ,Sambo,Judo(Satoshi Isshii),etc.

But this is our Super Athlete...Wtf.

lol this. Have you guys not paid attention to how terrible the women are? Phone Post

I don't think you've paid attention or just don't know anything about what it is to fight because if you squared up against any of the people Ronda has beaten, I'd put money on the girls. 

I don't fight for a living, and would still smack around a lot of them. Nothing says skilled like throwing punches while looming down at the floor. Phone Post

"I don't fight for a living, and would still around a lot of them."

Cool story, bro but...

No. You would not. 

Congratulations on bragging about your percieved ability to beat up women, though.

^^^^

You're going to bust his balls for a comment that you lead him into?  Neat.

And yes, the majority of grown men would beat up the majority of professional girl fighters.  It is ridiculous to say otherwise.  Have you seen Miesha Tate throw a punch?  She looks like a drunken brawler.  Add in the fact that she's around 5'6 and 135 pounds with far less strength than just about all males...she ain't whipping dudes asses.

DeusEx - A bronze medalist in a weak division is our super Athlete....LMFAO.

We had #1 guys from other sports like BJJ,Sambo,Judo(Satoshi Isshii),etc.

But this is our Super Athlete...Wtf.

Way more people compete in judo than bjj or sambo and for that matter: basecall, football, basketball (all levels of these sports) etc. Being third place out of hundreds of thousands of competitors is pretty top notch, troll.