The most poisonous afterlife?

What religion has the most poisonous afterlife?

What I mean, is that which afterlife type promise poisons that religions followers the most. The problem with believing in an afterlife is the idea that this world is only temporary (and hence not as important) - which leads to complacency regarding our "earthly" behaviour. Not doing the best to make this world a better place because there is something else to look forward to.

Islam is a good example with a poisonous afterlife - Kill in the name of God and you're given 72 virgins, you are a worthless speck and live only to worship god so that you can get your place etc etc.

Christianity was as venomous as Islam, but there is also the idea that "Don't worry, it's ok being a destitute slave because you're going to heaven - it'll be much harder or even impossible for your rich slave master" This particular mentality has helped keep people oppressed the world over for centuries.

Are there similar examples anyone else can think of?

Isn't it the belief that is the most important thing? As long as you believe and are sorry you can do what you like really it seems.

No I am talking about Christianity and what I have been told about it.

It's to do with belief in Jesus being the no.1 primary reason for a person going to heaven, rather than adherence to any particular moral code. Are we not all sinners in God's eyes? Only belief can save us, no matter how bad a person we are, because we are all rotten people to God.

Nah - It's Scientology. You have to come back to to whatever mess you left this planet in and pick up from there. Sucks.

rna

Chance, belief is mental assertion, scriptural belief is action.

robbie, the bible is a book about redemption. Please read the story of Moses and you will see that God is for the liberation and freedom of his people...both spiritually and physically.

Rooster - I have read the bible many years ago and it will be a while before it makes it back on my to read list. I am familiar with the stories and am familiar with its content.

In regards to the question I posted above, I could put it more simply.

There are some religious beliefs that essentially assert that this world is unimportant compared to the one you're about to go to. There are various flavors of christianity, like Chance mentioned, that you don't have to worry too much about your behaviour on this world, as long as you have belief in Christ... This is a dangerous concept.

I was just struck how good the idea of reincarnation is though - coming back as someone or something different depending on how you led your life. It is an afterlife that essentially states that the better you are now the better your life will be in the next. Whereas Christianity states, well... you're all more or less sinning bastards so as long as you believe in me it's OK.

Zoroastrianism

"The problem with believing in an afterlife is the idea that this world is only temporary (and hence not as important)"

One of the reasons I so rarely respond to your posts is that you don't seem to think about them very much...and yet still manage to be incredibly condescending to theists.

So let's look at the above statement.

Do non-theists consider their existence on this planet to be permanent? No, no matter wether there is some sort of after life or there is a nothingness we will not even be aware of, we all agree life is transitory, don't we? The theist and the atheist agree that our lives in what Shakespeare called "this mortal coil" is only temporary. Birth and death should make that fairly obvious.

And you make a spastic leap of logic and land on erroneous ground when you say that belief in an afterlife makes the existence in this world somehow less important to theists. As your actions will play a large roll in what happens to you in the afterlife, theists, it seems to me, have a far greater interest in what they do in the world than people who think none of it, ultimately, will matter because there is nothing after death and no one to judge us.

Similarly with your baffling analysis of slavery and christianity, I can't help but wonder how you could be so incredibly uninformed of the driving force that christianity was in the abolitionist movement both in the US and europe-- and later throughout the world. Christianity, after all, didn't invent slavery, but it has played a vital role in nearly ending it.

I will be the first to admit that christians often say things that make me cringe (literally), but you are a reminder that they don't have a monopoly on waving around ignorance like a flag.

excellent post pneuma!

rob: Rooster - I have read the bible many years ago and it will be a while before it makes it back on my to read list. I am familiar with the stories and am familiar with its content.

me: not really

you: In regards to the question I posted above, I could put it more simply.

There are some religious beliefs that essentially assert that this world is unimportant compared to the one you're about to go to. There are various flavors of christianity, like Chance mentioned, that you don't have to worry too much about your behaviour on this world, as long as you have belief in Christ... This is a dangerous concept.

me: can you be specific? I actually agree with you. I to some degree. Have you heard of the doctrine of "ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED"? It's the belief that once you are saved, you basically have your pass.

When I got "radically saved" in college a lot of my partying buddies couldn't figure why I was so worked up. They had gotten "saved" at 8 in bible camp (etc.). The reality is they were "living like the devil". I laughed at them. I was like, dude, your having sex, smoking Mary J, drinking, partying...c'mon.

But they would insist they were saved. I didn't buy it.

rob: you're all more or less sinning bastards so as long as you believe in me it's OK.

me: your right, it's been a while since you read the bible:

2Pe 2:20 For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

2Pe 2:21 For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known [it], to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

2Pe 2:22 But it is happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog [is] turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire.

Eze 18:26 When a righteous [man] turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.