The oblique kick needs to be banned

FingerorMoon - 

Such rubbish.

Eapecially in an event that had a flying knee send someone on a journey through the dark lands.

As I point out on the lucky knee thread that was not s flying knee.

In fact it was a poorly executed sunset flip which inadvertently turned into a thigh / knee strike into the brachial plexus and into side of the neck

Wasa-B -
thetouchofdeath - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

I think it's a dirty move, kicking outside the knee I understand and is fine. But the direct kick to the knee cap imo is dirty and can permanently injure these guys, and it takes away the competitiveness of the fight. 

No it should be slipped and countered like Amanda did to Holly. 

Bonds, you are very knowledgable about boxing but “takes away the competitiveness”? Cmon man, what?

Also, Nunes showed exactly how it can be countered.

Punching and kicking and kneeing someone in the head also can cause brain damage.

Why is the kidney area illegal to punch in boxing?

chupecabre -
Barry_BondsMVP -
chupecabre -
Barry_BondsMVP -
chupecabre -

You need to be banned. 

Ban me!!!! Do IT 

I van you. There. 

You van me? VAN? No one vans me asshole

I vanned you. Fucking deal with it. 

I van you too buddy 

I'd much rather be banned than vanned by some clown.....it sounds.....rapey.

YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

Lol I'm checking outside as we speak 

Is there an example of anyone who has actually suffered a career ending/threatening injury from oblique kicks?

I can think of Robert Whittaker and maaaaybe Wonderboy. Rampage didn't like them but I don't think he suffered an injury from them.

There's no reason to ban them, they're not some unblockable strike.

To see oblique kicks makes me literally nauseous, but I can't see justifying a ban. I wish, though.

They've been legal in Savate for literally 100 years...and they wear shoes! 

Oblique kicks are no more dangerous than a Thai kick to the knee. Both can cause ligament damage if the person's weight is on that leg...hence why boxing and wrestling stances where more weight is on the front leg is a liability when facing a good kicker. 

It's a smart distancing technique meant to counter powerful opponents whose footwork is slower. But it's extremely low percentage in terms of actual damage. You might as well say spinning elbows should be banned.

I think everything but nut shots,fish hooks and eye gauges should be legal.

Barry_BondsMVP -
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

I'm out there vanning people every week, sucka!

Barry_BondsMVP - 
Wasa-B -
thetouchofdeath - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

I think it's a dirty move, kicking outside the knee I understand and is fine. But the direct kick to the knee cap imo is dirty and can permanently injure these guys, and it takes away the competitiveness of the fight. 

Bonds, you are very knowledgable about boxing but “takes away the competitiveness”? Cmon man, what?

Punching and kicking and kneeing someone in the head also can cause brain damage.

Is it illegal in MMA?

Wasa-B -
Barry_BondsMVP - 
Wasa-B -
thetouchofdeath - 
Barry_BondsMVP -

Is it illegal in MMA?

I’m not sure, good question 

mindless optimism -
Barry_BondsMVP -
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD -

I'm out there vanning people every week, sucka!

Where I can learn to van like you?

ANd knee bars too

And arm bars

And shoulder locks

Barry_BondsMVP -

I think punching to the fees need to be banned it's a dirty move That can lead to CTE and potential death

Strykr619 -
Barry_BondsMVP -

I think punching to the fees need to be banned it's a dirty move That can lead to CTE and potential death

Oh yes the fees can lead to death for sure. Watch out for the fees

we have fees and vans on here, what else can the intellectuals on here produce?

Personally I think they should get ride of all chokes .. they cut off oxygen .. what a dirty move 

I guess the better question to me is how are knees to the head of a downed opponent illegal, 12-6 elbows illegal, but oblique kicks legal? 

I don't know if they should be *illegal*, but every time I see a thread on this every single response is the same: "you're a pussy", "lets ban punches", etc.... yawn. Is there any potential for a reasonable discussion about this? I'm sure the answer is no, but... 

I agree that there are ways to counter it. I agree that fighters can train strategies to use it to their advantage. I see the argument that "punches and kicks to the head cause head trauma", but does one single punch have the potential to forcefully end somebody's career? I don't believe there is any scientific evidence that one punch ALONE to an otherwise healthy fighter could destroy their ability to continue fighting in the future. 

ONE single oblique kick could do that to somebody's knee. If anyone here has had knee injuries then I'm sure you know how difficult they are to come back from. I don't know of any fighters who have been ended with one oblique kick yet, but it only started to get popular in the last couple years and a very small portion of fighters use it. 

I agree that since it's legal, fighters are free to use it. It's fair play, and it's effective. I don't think fighters are "dirty" for using it. 

I have no problems watching a KO or submission, but every time an oblique kick lands my stomach hurts. Perhaps because I have knee issues of my own. 

This is a completely new take that no one ever mentions after every jj fight.

Get over it already.

Everytime Jones fights this topic always comes up and it's always the same; I don't like it because it looks scary. Round kicks have blown out knees yet you don't have a problem with them. Why? We're all fine with repeated brain trauma, broken skulls and faces but a teep to the knee is a bridge too far? Makes no sense.