The official OG Tennis thread

To hit the deep, high spinning ball I have to make a grip change.

I use a semi-western grip but usually choked up with the top knuckle at the 3 o’clock position.

So I have to work on choking down so the hand is right on the butt of the racket with the top knuckle at the 4 o’clock position.

To hit it like that, you gotta come up on on a steep angle on the ball and make sure the arm is completely extended and straightened out.

Might struggle with it but I would rather struggle temporarily for better rewards later on.

One of the advanced players at the club I play at that uses a Pure Aero uses a very loopy swing in order to create topspin.

I want to go that route but want to put a little more pop and pepper on the ball than he uses.

1 Like

I guess I’ve been using an Eastern grip, not Semi-Western.

The Semi-Western grip on bevel 4.

Eastern on bevel 3.

tennisgrip
tennisgrip2

Been putting effort into getting the motion down.

Didn’t really think much about about my grip not matching the type of swing I was going for.

When you extend the racket out like in the picture, it will feel like your hand is underneath the racket rather than behind it.

1 Like

Finally got out to hit with the new racket.

Got a few warm up shots in with the 2010 Pure Aero first.

Then switched to the new racket.

I was surprised by the Pure Strike. I really enjoyed hitting with it.

I was doubting the racket the strings I got for it.

But it felt like a good combo. Ball felt really push coming off the stringbed.

90% of the practice was working on the new forehand technique.

But the racket seemed to really match up well with my one handed backhand.

The few I hit were just grip, rip it and watch the ball land in play.

This racket is a player for sure.

1 Like

Nice man glad you found it great it to use!

When a racket feels particularly good with a one handed backhand, then that’s definitely a good sign.

I know Las Vegas is quite far away from New York but were you (or any other OGers) thinking about going to see the U.S open this year?

1 Like

Not me James. Maybe one of the New Yorkers would go check it out.

It would be cool to see it in person.

1 Like

My one handed backhand was a bit of a dud.

But my forehand was way better this week.

My forehand seemed to be causing the other teams to intentionally hit the ball away from me.

But if I had to hit the backhand, I would usually just poke the ball back really high to keep it in play.

1 Like

Also, anybody looking to get back into tennis I’ve put together a pretty good affordable.

From Tennis Warehouse. But you can probably get the same deal on other websites.

Ordered this setup for my brother’s birthday next month.

Head Extreme 360+ MP

tennis40

Strung with Head Lynx Tour Champaign strings @ 52lbs

tennis41

When, you buy this racket the strings ring up in your cart @ $4.99.

So have them string one set on and then order and extra set for another $4.99.

Then a Head Extreme Soft overgrip - I ordered white. But black or blue overgrips would also look good on this racket.

tennis42

Pete Sampras vibration dampener.

tennis43

And throw in a matching tennis bag.

Total price including tax - $223.76

1 Like

My backhand was definitely a weakness when I first started playing. So of course the people I played with at school always used to hit to toward it!

However eventually once I had enough experience it became a strength for me. So my opponents would have to mix it up more.

I only played on clay occasionally but it was a nightmare for my backhand because the ball would kick up so high sometimes and it would be much harder to hit it back in play.

Had I been able to play on the surface regularly, I’m sure I would have learnt to take the ball earlier before it rose up so much. For some players their single handed backhand is actually better on clay than a hard court for some reason. Stefanos Tsitsipas is an example of that on the tour today as well as Gustavo Kuerten from the 1990s and early 2000’s.

1 Like

Some good recommendations there!

1 Like

I’ll keep working it.

May go back to using a two handed backhand temporarily.

My one hander feels great and I rip it when practicing or when the coach is feeding me the ball in the strike zone.

But when I get in the match, people start hitting high floaters and i can’t wind up and rip the ball.

End up poking it back high to keep it in play.

And I don’t want to get in the habit of hitting a lot of slices.

I can hit the slice fine but I see it a defensive shot and I don’t want to get in the habit of playing defensive tennis.

Downside of the one hander is hitting high balls back with it, which should make clay a harder surface for most one handers.

Which is why Nadal’s high bouncing heavy topspin forehand is so hard for opponents to hit back on a clay surface.

1 Like

Haven’t seen many people do this.

But I think I’m going to use both a two handed and one handed backhand while playing.

Anything high and out of the strike zone I’ll temporarily use the two handed backhand.

Then switch to a one handed backhand when the ball is in the strike zone.

1 Like

In tennis, you have to set priorities.

Not going to worry about the backhand much at the moment.

Gonna focus on learning to hit the Tweener.

I haven’t seen anybody in class attempt or hit that shot yet.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah that’s an issue if you feel like you are on the defensive all the time on your backhand.

Yes normally clay is a harder surface for most one handers. For a few though it makes it easier. Was talking to @Boomsticks about this months ago and it seems to be because they have more time on the ball which allows them to think more about how and where they want to hit their backhand. So it’s much more comfortable for them. This is only for a tiny minority of one handers though.

I think the Nadal topspin forehand on clay is possibly the greatest shot in Tennis. Even very tall players with 2 handed backhands can struggle with it at times although less so then most.

Interesting strategy!

if you want to be really different, try a 2 handed forehand. Then you can transition to the 2 handed backhand much easier!

Not aware of any men of the tour who have one. Although some women have over the years.

1 Like

Thanks I had somehow completely forgot the one Federer did against Schoorel!

There were many good ones but I have to say Nadal’s against Djokovic was particularly great.

1 Like

Oh man, I have so much to catch up on!

I’ll be by tomorrow with some thoughts :slight_smile:

2 Likes

hmmmm. Interesting.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a two handed forehand before lol.

1 Like

Monica Seles was the highest profile player that used it that I can think of.

You can see it in the video below

Here is a short 3 minute video on some of the debatable advantages of the 2 handed forehand. I somehow forgot that a male player called Fabrice Santoro utilised it as well.

1 Like

Very interesting. But certainly not for me.

My forehand, despite having some issued, show it’s first signs of being a weapon last class.

Right now I think a lot of it is getting a better understanding of the grip.

Then giving myself time to become comfortable with it.

Once I get something in my head, stubbornness makes it hard for me to get it out.

Same with the one handed backhand.

It’s just a matter of understanding why I struggled the other day.

I think the key is that I need to have three different one handed backhands.

I’m only using one at the moment.

And the one I’m using is the worst of three when dealing with the high floaters people hit in the beginner/intermediate class.

Instead of one grip for the one handed backhand, I’m going to work on using using three.

1. Knuckle on Bevel 2 for hitting low shots.

2. Knuckle on Bevel 1 for hitting medium shots.

3. Knuckle on Bevel 8 for hitting the high floaters.

I was using the Bevel 2 grip, which is why I was ripping the ball when practicing by myself and the balls being fed to me by the coach.

In those situations, I was able to able to wait for the ball to get low and then rip it.

When practicing against the beginner/intermediate players, I was rarely able to get that low ball and dealing with a lot of medium/high floaters.

Causing me to poke the ball back.

Now as soon I see medium to high floaters coming, I’m going to try switching my grip to Bevel 1 and Bevel 8 respectively.

This should allow me to, hopefully, rip through the ball the same way I was hitting my preferred low balls with grip on Bevel 2.

I don’t believe in giving up.

If Federer can do it. If Wawrinka can do it. I Gasquet can do it.

I believe I can do it as well.

It’s must a matter of not giving up, finding out what you’re not quite doing right, and developing a plan on how to fix it.

1 Like