"The Passion" on Ash Wednesday

The Passion is 4 months away. From newsmax.com:

With Carl Limbacher and NewsMax.com Staff
For the story behind the story...

Thursday, Oct. 23, 2003

Gibson's 'Passion of Christ' Has Distributor, Debuts Ash Wednesday

The left-wing thought police fought him every step of the way. The major studios refused to touch his new project even though he has made Tinseltown hundreds of millions of dollars. But Mel Gibson's "The Passion of Christ" will open in America on Feb. 25, Ash Wednesday.

The Oscar-winning director and Newmarket Films announced a deal today to distribute the movie, about the last hours of the life of Jesus Christ.

"The Passion of Christ" stars James Caviezel as Jesus and Monica Bellucci as Mary Magdalene. The dialogue is in Latin, Hebrew and Aramaic with English subtitles.

Newmarket, an independent distribution company, specializes in publicizing and securing theaters for such excellent movies as "Memento," "Real Women Have Curves" and "Whale Rider."

Gibson will distribute the film himself through his Icon Productions in the United Kingdom and Australia, the Associated Press reported.

And that high-pitched shriek you hear is the New York Times' Frank Rich tossing his latest temper tantrum.

What day is Ash Wednesday? What is Ash Wednesday? Christian? Jewish?

Ash Wednesday is the Wednesday after Carnival Tuesday. It is celebrated about 40 days before Eastern, and marks the start of mourning for Jesus´s passion, that finishes at Aleluia Saturday.

Donna, why do you call Easter "Eastern"? I've seen it on a couple of threads.

Because my spelling in English is very incorrect sometimes. :-(

Heh heh, that makes up for plutonic/platonic!

But I actually thought there was some kind of religious reason behind it.

As much as I know, you are way ahead of me in English spelling. I´m good only with some latin roots. ;-)

Does your nickname means Big Mac? The sandwich?

That's funny, Cherrypicker asked the same thing. It's short for Brian Macaulay.

Sincronicity. :-)

BMac, I think this is going to make for one powerful Ash Wednesday!!!! Decisions, decisions, decisions...do you go get your ashes before or after you see the movie?

On one hand, before would be cool because you could mark yourself a man of Christ's Church that everyone in the theater would recognize, on the other hand, getting your ashes after seeing the movie would surely prove a powerful experience.

In any case, this should be a GREAT start to Lent, a time where we can all grow closer to Him.

I hope the subtitles aren't in the movie...an option in the dvd, yes...in the movie, no.

Kolbe, I'll opt for the ashes first, for the witness thing; I'll still have the rest of Lent to meditate on the movie.

I agree with you on the subtitles. I think they'll be distracting. The images I've seen on The O'Reilly Factor were powerful enough without words. I think Gibson gave in too easily on this one, but hey, he's a majorly successful filmmaker and I'm not, so I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

I am looking forward to this show. I like the original name better.

What was the original name?

It was originally titled "The Passion" but now it is "The Passion of Christ"

I think the former sounds more powerful.

Yeah I agree. Must be another marketing thing, like the English subtitles.

I am not postive but I think the name might of had to be changed for legal reasons. I think there is another movie alreadly titled The Passion.

I didn´t like they changed the name.

Cherrypicker is correct. I think Miramax has a movie titled "The Passion" in production already, so Gibson had to change the name of his.

I don't think it's too big of a deal, even though I liked the original a little more.

They are using subtitles in the movie. Mel said in a People magazine article back when they just started making it that he didnt even want subtitles, that the actions of the movie would express everything he was trying get across, but that he was talked into adding the subs later.

what language do they use in the movie?? english??