The proper way to record the police...

Every court of note that has ruled on it have ruled that cops have no expectation of privacy when performing their official duties in public. Record away! Phone Post 3.0

jake11 - . Phone Post 3.0
This Phone Post 3.0

ACLU Alvarez was Illinois though. Phone Post 3.0

Fake Pie - ACLU Alvarez was Illinois though. Phone Post 3.0

Yep.  It was appealed to the USSC, who declined to hear the case.  That's that.

Ridgeback - 
Fake Pie - Every court of note that has ruled on it have ruled that cops have no expectation of privacy when performing their official duties in public. Record away! Phone Post 3.0

I agree, but when you actually start recording you may have a fight on your hands and they have a lot of ways of making your life miserable while you wait to have your rights upheld in court.  

Normally I would agree. It has become such a nonstarter though that these days when it happens and the video gets out, the PDs arent even arguing anymore--they just agree to remind their officers that they can be recorded.

I'm fine with a person recording an interaction. I mean, I'm recording the interaction on a car-stop so there will be audio/video regardless. What I would request, however; is that you not have anything in your hands when I approach your vehicle. If you have not already activated your recording device, politely ask to do so. I cannot think of a single time where this has caused me a problem.

As silly as it sounds, there are numerous companies that manufacture firearms, tasers, and pepper spray disguised as cellphones. It is also not advisable to point a dark-colored squared-off object toward an officer as they approach your vehicle.

Stupidnewbie - I'm fine with a person recording an interaction. I mean, I'm recording the interaction on a car-stop so there will be audio/video regardless. What I would request, however; is that you not have anything in your hands when I approach your vehicle. If you have not already activated your recording device, politely ask to do so. I cannot think of a single time where this has caused me a problem.

As silly as it sounds, there are numerous companies that manufacture firearms, tasers, and pepper spray disguised as cellphones. It is also not advisable to point a dark-colored squared-off object toward an officer as they approach your vehicle.

I didn't know you worked for the SDPD, and are also retarded. 

Stupidnewbie - I'm fine with a person recording an interaction. I mean, I'm recording the interaction on a car-stop so there will be audio/video regardless. What I would request, however; is that you not have anything in your hands when I approach your vehicle. If you have not already activated your recording device, politely ask to do so. I cannot think of a single time where this has caused me a problem.

Right your recording, so how often do you give the tape to people who request it? How often does it get " lost"? A cellphone can be a weapon huh? Only in the fact that it can be used to protect our rights Phone Post 3.0

I looked up guns disguised as cellphones so now the government has that info lol Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - I'm fine with a person recording an interaction. I mean, I'm recording the interaction on a car-stop so there will be audio/video regardless. What I would request, however; is that you not have anything in your hands when I approach your vehicle. If you have not already activated your recording device, politely ask to do so. I cannot think of a single time where this has caused me a problem.

I think having your hands empty is a good idea and I understand this concern during a stop. I have a phone mount on my dash.

Phone weapons though? Who would buy something like that? Sounds like BS Phone Post 3.0

. Phone Post 3.0

OpenedUp - 

Right your recording, so how often do you give the tape to people who request it? How often does it get " lost"? A cellphone can be a weapon huh? Only in the fact that it can be used to protect our rights Phone Post 3.0

Well aren't you cute, all fired up and sarcastic.  I have nothing to do with the transfer or release of the digital video in our units.  Our vehicle's recorder wirelessly connects to the PD network and uploads.  The digital videos are, in fact, released quite frequently upon subpoena.  I get notifications all the time that videos are being released upon DA or defense request.  I've never had a video get "lost."  I never worry about what is on the video because I do my job properly and in accordance with the law.

Yes a cellphone can be a disguised weapon.  As I said, it sounds silly but there are such devices.  Officers encounter them in the field.  Just last week, my dept found a cane gun during a search warrant.

I posted with the intent to assist and provide a perspective from the other side.  If you want to act like a d-bag, I'm fine with not providing helpful info.

pm1964 - Those of you in California might want to be aware that it is a felony to record somebody without their permission if there is a reasonable expectation of privacy. Any any such recording is not admissible in any court or legal proceeding.
Unless you're a cop doing the recording Phone Post 3.0

We had closed an investigation where a manager had stolen thousands. We called the cops. When the officer got there he asked the manager where his phone was and immediately demanded the password. The guy gave it to him. It was surreal. Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie -
OpenedUp - 

Well aren't you cute, all fired up and sarcastic.  I have nothing to do with the transfer or release of the digital video in our units.  Our vehicle's recorder wirelessly connects to the PD network and uploads.  The digital videos are, in fact, released quite frequently upon subpoena.  I get notifications all the time that videos are being released upon DA or defense request.  I've never had a video get "lost."  I never worry about what is on the video because I do my job properly and in accordance with the law.

Yes a cellphone can be a disguised weapon.  As I said, it sounds silly but there are such devices.  Officers encounter them in the field.  Just last week, my dept found a cane gun during a search warrant.

I posted with the intent to assist and provide a perspective from the other side.  If you want to act like a d-bag, I'm fine with not providing helpful info.

Voted up for reasonableness. Phone Post 3.0

Onikage -

I think having your hands empty is a good idea and I understand this concern during a stop. I have a phone mount on my dash.

Phone weapons though? Who would buy something like that? Sounds like BS Phone Post 3.0
Phone Post 3.0

Stupidnewbie - I'm fine with a person recording an interaction. I mean, I'm recording the interaction on a car-stop so there will be audio/video regardless. What I would request, however; is that you not have anything in your hands when I approach your vehicle. If you have not already activated your recording device, politely ask to do so. I cannot think of a single time where this has caused me a problem.

Not having something in your hands is reasonable.

While cellphone weapons certainly exist as a novelty, I think you would be hard pressed to find an actual usage instance against a cop. It is a boogey man used as justification to confiscate cell phones IMO, but I dont envy the fear you have walking up on god knows what every day.

Sub Phone Post 3.0

Awesome Phone Post 3.0

Oh, I'm not advocating cellphone confiscation in any way. I'm just saying, as I walk up, you not waving a cellphone in my face is one less thing I need to quickly assess and address. If you were to ask to turn your cellphone video recorder on and I have had a moment scan the car for threats to my life, I have no reason to not allow it. Also, it helps to have a second to see the phone sitting there on the center console/phone mount/whatever and realize it's just an Iphone and not a goofy-looking phone gun with gigantic pushbuttons.

EDIT: Also, I agree these things are for the most part a novelty. In my experience, the people most attracted to silly things like this are the people you would least like to have them. Whenever I've found disguised firearms, taser knuckles, pneumatic knives, etc, it is always been a complete piece of parolee-at-large scum possessing them. It may seem silly to prepare for proverbial ninjas dropping from the ceiling, but it's better than being that one cop that gets himself killed with a phone-gun.