The reason DJ is a weak draw

He has almost never had a challenger who had any significant drawing power whatsoever.  Everyone he fights is a complete nobody so he never gets a big win in a big marquee matchup.  When he fought Cruz in the UFC they were both fresh and not draws at all.  Since then the biggest name is Joseph Benavidez.

At this point I would say his career is pretty comparable with Andersons.  Why was Anderson a way bigger draw?  He fought guys like Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, etc before he really blew up and could carry a fight himself against a no name.  People tuned in to see not only him, but his opponents.  Winning those big matchups makes a star.  DJ will have none of those at 125.  None.

The only matchups at this time that could launch him into stardom are at 135.  If he refuses to go up that's his choice, but he'll never get rich.

Hes's 5'3. Has no interesting personality traits and weighs 125.

Agreed entirely.

Drawing power at 125?

shaqitup -

His height is a non factor.  He's exciting and has a good finish rate.

His personality isn't outlandish but it's not what's holding him back.  Stipe draws better than him and he's pretty mundane, but you put Stipe against Overeem and people fuckin tune in.  If you put Stipe against Jared Rosholt nobody watches.  It takes an A side and a B side.  Only Ronda and Conor can draw by themselves.  Even Floyds last PPV flopped because nobody cared about the opponent.

His problem is that he doesn't have controversy following him like Jon Jones, he doesn't have a big troll mouth like a Bisping or Conor, doesn't have a heel angle like a Chael, not a thug like a Diaz, a stupid haircut like Dan Hardy, etc.

When you look at the most popular fighters they have these things. The less popular fighters don't. Same reason Dan Cormier wasn't popular until he started becoming a heel. Same reason Woodley isn't popular - but he also is whiny. Stipe is a bit on the dull side too, but he gets a little push because he's a heavyweight.

Particular to MM is that he is so damn technical, that the mainstream fans don't know half of what they are seeing.

If Woodley won 10 in a row and beat guys like GSP, Diaz, and Maia he would definitely be a good draw.  Not comparable.  DJ isn't just a champ he's an all time great

shaqitup -

Sadly this, but I enjoy his fights 

ausgepicht - His problem is that he doesn't have controversy following him like Jon Jones, he doesn't have a big troll mouth like a Bisping or Conor, doesn't have a heel angle like a Chael, not a thug like a Diaz, a stupid haircut like Dan Hardy, etc.

When you look at the most popular fighters they have these things. The less popular fighters don't. Same reason Dan Cormier wasn't popular until he started becoming a heel. Same reason Woodley isn't popular - but he also is whiny. Stipe is a bit on the dull side too, but he gets a little push because he's a heavyweight.

Particular to MM is that he is so damn technical, that the mainstream fans don't know half of what they are seeing.

There is truth to this. Who here doesn't think MM would instantly become more popular if it was reported that he was involved in a hit and run accident he was responsible for, plus broke a pregnant woman's arm in the process? Sad, but it's true.

Also, he is so unbelievably fast (faster than even his 125 opponents) that most people need to watch his fights at about 3/4 speed to even understand all of the things he does.

He fights in a extremely weak division and your average fan cant relate to a guy that small, I know some people hate to hear that but its true, the guy is smaller than most teenage girls, it's a tough sell.

Naseem Hamed was the champ at 126lbs in boxing and he drew a lot of fans. People wouldnt talk about how small he was or even care who he fought because he could sell a fight. I think mighty mouse is really talented but he lacks the ability to sell fights.

If he tried to change his image now it would look fake. What mighty mouse needs is a new contender to come along and slap him at a press conference. It would get lots of media coverage. He wouldnt have to change his image. Marketing 101.

Or he can fight a superfight on a Conor card.

Too quick for the casual fan. They can't handle it. 

EckY - He fights in a extremely weak division and your average fan cant relate to a guy that small, I know some people hate to hear that but its true, the guy is smaller than most teenage girls, it's a tough sell.

Not true.

Garbrandt is marketable and he's only 10lbs away and qualifies as being smaller than most teenage girls.

He's not a thug, not a troll, doesn't have a stupid haircut. doesn't get in trouble with the law. He's normal.

That's not very marketable.

Card -

Drawing power at 125?

Nobody knows who most of those guys, especially not casual fans. Joe B and Dodson maybe, not the rest, and they all did terrible numbers because of it. Reis last fight was on an undercard, then he's getting a head liner on Fox, nobody knew who he was. I dont remember anybody even getting remotely excited for Ali, Moraga, Horiguchi or Cariaso either, and those were some of the worst PPV buy rates of all time, my friend that's kind of in between a hardcore and a casual fan got up and walked out during the Ali fight lol. You cant just throw some random person at MM and expect it to sell, it just doesnt work. 

Also people need to get over the 125lb part, he's really what, 145 or so, but the UFC doesnt do a good job explaining weight cutting to the casuals. 

Easters -
shaqitup -

His personality isn't outlandish but it's not what's holding him back.  Stipe draws better than him and he's pretty mundane, but you put Stipe against Overeem and people fuckin tune in.  If you put Stipe against Jared Rosholt nobody watches.  It takes an A side and a B side.  Only Ronda and Conor can draw by themselves.  Even Floyds last PPV flopped because nobody cared about the opponent.

Stipe fights at hw. It draws its self and still has tremors of Brock lesnar.

Easters -

He has almost never had a challenger who had any significant drawing power whatsoever.  Everyone he fights is a complete nobody so he never gets a big win in a big marquee matchup.  When he fought Cruz in the UFC they were both fresh and not draws at all.  Since then the biggest name is Joseph Benavidez.

At this point I would say his career is pretty comparable with Andersons.  Why was Anderson a way bigger draw?  He fought guys like Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, etc before he really blew up and could carry a fight himself against a no name.  People tuned in to see not only him, but his opponents.  Winning those big matchups makes a star.  DJ will have none of those at 125.  None.

The only matchups at this time that could launch him into stardom are at 135.  If he refuses to go up that's his choice, but he'll never get rich.

I agree, he's in a division that isnt popular and they dont have any build up for these fights. You also consider that while MM is upping his finish rate, the rest of the divison isnt, and has the lowest finishing rate out of all of the men's weight classes. So when somebody sees his next opponent, who was probably dug up from an undercard, people say "who?" or they see his opponent and remember them from a boring decision that ruined the flow of a card at some point and are instantly turned off. He also talks WAY too fast on camera.

The UFC needs to promote his opponents better, and need to focus on what these guys really weigh, 125lbs is hard to relate to, but guys in that division are really 145-150 or so, they are just short lol

I'm a casual fan. I don't know if I'm typical or not.  I can just say that i have zero interest in 125 weight class.  I skip all their fights or fast forward through them if it's a title fight.  I can't cite any specific reason, I think I'd just like to see average to big mother fuckers fighting.  As opposed to guys smaller then my kids. 

I do like MM though, seems likea great guy and champion. I won't watch his fights though. 

Easters -
shaqitup -

He didnt always have a great finish rate (in one of his finishes he didnt even get the finish until there was 1 second left, and only because Hume screamed to go for it), and I think that stigma stays too, not to mention the rest of his opponents have ABYSMAL finish rates, even against lower ranked guys. 

How can people discount his size in relation to his marketability?  It makes a difference to the viewing public.  The 125's are so small you could hardly tell who was Reffing the fight, you could only see him from the waist down

shaqitup -
Easters -
shaqitup -

Stipe fights at hw. It draws its self and still has tremors of Brock lesnar.

You're missing the point.  Stipe vs. a nobody is no draw at all but Stipe vs. a known name is a solid draw.  It takes two to sell a fight 9/10 times