The reason towels aren't thrown in more often

Because they basically double their pay (most fighters) with a win.

It's difficult for corners not to give their guy every opportunity with these financial implications.Ā Ā 

Corners are in a no win situation..

Ufc needs to offer more guaranteed $ if they really want to protect fighters.

Or maybe because that's not allowed in mma.

1 Like

When I stepped in the cage/ring, I was there to fight. I knew what I signed up for, and so did my corner. Sometimes, that was getting my ass whopped. The corner should be there to protect you from yourself, but there should be rare occurrences when a towel actually needs thrown in vs. a ref stoppage or a tap - Iā€™d think mostly between rounds when assessing your fighter and seeing that something is ā€˜wrongā€™ with them. I know I had a couple, and cornered many, many more, where a fighter was taking damage and came back late in the fight.

The amount of $ in the fight never once crossed my mind.

3 Likes

UFC should offers these bonuses for each fight, would be interesting..

10k to fighter with more strikes thrownĀ 

5k to fighter with most octogan control timeĀ 

5k getting ko'd .. "out on your shield" bonusĀ 

Add these fines..all to fighters on receiving end

1k for first eye poke, 3k for second, 10k for thirdĀ 

1k for low blow,Ā  3k for second, 10k for thirdĀ 

2k per fence grabĀ Ā 

1 Like
SPROUT - When I stepped in the cage/ring, I was there to fight. I knew what I signed up for, and so did my corner. Sometimes, that was getting my ass whopped. The corner should be there to protect you from yourself, but there should be rare occurrences when a towel actually needs thrown in vs. a ref stoppage or a tap - I'd think mostly between rounds when assessing your fighter and seeing that something is 'wrong' with them. I know I had a couple, and cornered many, many more, where a fighter was taking damage and came back late in the fight.

The amount of $ in the fight never once crossed my mind.

Understandableā€¦ but I doubt you were being paid 200k to show, and 200k to win.

Trust me, these guys are definitely thinking about money.

The money is not the reason.

Towels donā€™t get thrown at the lowest levels where fighters get paid nothing or less thanĀ $1000 dollars to fight.

I have been to heaps of local fights, basically never happens.

More likely the MMA fighter will give up their neck or their arm in a submission to allow the fight to be stopped.

Imagine throwing the towel in at a main event.

Or they justĀ Ā think their fighter can win, money isn't always the motivation.

PHOENIXmike -

Because they basically double their pay (most fighters) with a win.

It's difficult for corners not to give their guy every opportunity with these financial implications.Ā Ā 

Corners are in a no win situation..

Ufc needs to offer more guaranteed $ if they really want to protect fighters.

Everyone wants more money. It doesn't matter what your job is or what it pays. When I made 8 dollars an hour, I wanted 10. When I made 10, I wanted 15.Ā If a job paid $100 an hour, I'd be saying "Sure would be nice if it was $120". There's no amount where I would say "Don't ever pay me anything more, I'm making plenty."Ā 

Its brainless sometimes. You're costing them money by shortening their career.Ā 

fence is too high

2 Likes
shatefak -

shatefak -

This and only thisĀ 

the fighting never stops - Imagine throwing the towel in at a main event.

GSP vs BJ Penn comes to mind. Quite sure it was a main event, didn't check though. While not as dramatic as literally throwing a towel in during action, BJ/corner quit after the fourth round. And BJ looked helluva lot less damaged than Kattar...Ā 

mindless optimismĀ -Ā 

fence is too high

Legit lol.