The Rory frate trane myth will be dispelled!!

Is he talented? Yes. Was he dominate his last couple fights? Yes. Has he faced a legit quality welterweight yet? Yes.. one.. and he lost. Sure Rory looked great against the mid level guys, but Condit is the only upper tier welterweight McDonald has ever faced and he lost. This weekend he's fighting one of the GOATs. BJ Penn is gonna take that cocky little Canuck down a peg. War BJ!!

Phone Post

Best Fucking Thread Ever

WAR PENN

It's not a myth bro, he even rides unicorns.

the geek -

It's not a myth bro, he even rides unicorns.

More like he is a unicorn lol.

Phone Post

Phone Post

Unfortunately for Rory, I see this as a paradoxical fight in which the established veteran has a bigger upside through victory than the up and comer.

This isn't to suggest some people won't make it out to be some crazy achievement in his career, but the reality is, BJ is a GOAT 155'r who has typically struggled to make waves in a very competitive, very stacked 170 division.

For Rory what does a victory really tell us about him? What questions does defeating a much smaller man tell us about Rory? That he can beat smaller guys. That's basically it.

This is no disrespect to BJ, and I think he is quite capable of winning this fight. I just think that BJ winning this fight means more for BJ Penn, than winning can mean for Rory.

For Rory is is a scalp. That is it. BJ is too small, and any victory he earns over BJ can be immediately chalked up to that fact.

The real question for Rory is how will he handle the elite wrestlers of the division? That is his path to an eventual title shot at 170.

Expect a great fight, a win could be an exclamation point on a legendary career for BJ. A win for Rory doesn't really tell us anything about his title potential imo.

TTT Phone Post

i want that unicorn costume

He was 21 years old and almost beat the current #2 ranked WW in the world.  BJ is awesome, Rory is awesome and it will be an awesome fight.  Simple as that?

BJ gunna smash Mr. Nerdelsteen!!

War Baby Jay Phone Post

Rory is the real deal. A motivated Penn will make this an exciting fight.

i like both

but bottom line is bj is too small for the weight class. rory has shown he is very worthy, beating carlos for 2.5 rounds much the way gsp did for 5.

Osbot - Unfortunately for Rory, I see this as a paradoxical fight in which the established veteran has a bigger upside through victory than the up and comer.

This isn't to suggest some people won't make it out to be some crazy achievement in his career, but the reality is, BJ is a GOAT 155'r who has typically struggled to make waves in a very competitive, very stacked 170 division.

For Rory what does a victory really tell us about him? What questions does defeating a much smaller man tell us about Rory? That he can beat smaller guys. That's basically it.

This is no disrespect to BJ, and I think he is quite capable of winning this fight. I just think that BJ winning this fight means more for BJ Penn, than winning can mean for Rory.

For Rory is is a scalp. That is it. BJ is too small, and any victory he earns over BJ can be immediately chalked up to that fact.

The real question for Rory is how will he handle the elite wrestlers of the division? That is his path to an eventual title shot at 170.

Expect a great fight, a win could be an exclamation point on a legendary career for BJ. A win for Rory doesn't really tell us anything about his title potential imo.

It's bold to discredit something so adamantly before it happens. Did Diaz's fight with Penn mean anything? Phone Post

Rory hasnt fought anyone like BJ. Honestly. Condit underestimated him was all. Hana Hou. Just Scrap. WAR BJ!!!! its blood licking time Phone Post

BJ gets beaten back into retrement.  I will also say that for the 1st round BJ can beat almost ANYBODY in the world.

MostLegit - 
Osbot - Unfortunately for Rory, I see this as a paradoxical fight in which the established veteran has a bigger upside through victory than the up and comer.

It's bold to discredit something so adamantly before it happens. Did Diaz's fight with Penn mean anything? Phone Post

Does Diaz have title aspirations? How does BJ fit into title consideration? Do we consider BJ a contender at 170?

From my end, the answer to those questions is, yes, he doesn't, not anymore.

That then means, beating BJ Penn for Diaz was maintaining the status quo in regards to his place in line to fight GSP. It does not advance him because BJ is not in front of him. Neither does beating BJ raise his stock beyond the prestige of beating one of the all time greats.

Again, I didn't say Rory would win. I also said people would almost certainly make it out to be a major achievement. However from a rational position, BJ has minimal career upside for Rory.

BJ is smaller than he is.
BJ is actually naturally a weight class lower.
BJ is not a title contender.

While losing to BJ which is extremely possible in this fight certainly inhibits Rory's march up the WW ladder (captain obvious I am!) How does beating BJ progress it.

If as fans we want to learn as much as possible about a fighter as we can, this is not a fight that will help us much. BJ is not known for wrestling. That is what we need to see Rory against to make even a remotely educated guess on where he can ultimately stack up at 170 and beyond.

I hope BJ runs through him....

I don't think this will solidify Rory's standings really, he wins... He beat a passed prime BJ fighting above his weight. He loses, he was beaten by a passed prime fighter above his weight.

I hope BJ comes out looking yoked (well as yoked as BJ gets) talking to himself and by the end of the first is licking blood off of himself. Phone Post

I went back and watched some Rory tape last night, and I can see BJ slipping and ripping him.. the kid is a powerhouse but there are still holes in his game. Penn by sub post knockdown in the 2nd.

Osbot -
MostLegit - 

Does Diaz have title aspirations? How does BJ fit into title consideration? Do we consider BJ a contender at 170?

From my end, the answer to those questions is, yes, he doesn't, not anymore.

That then means, beating BJ Penn for Diaz was maintaining the status quo in regards to his place in line to fight GSP. It does not advance him because BJ is not in front of him. Neither does beating BJ raise his stock beyond the prestige of beating one of the all time greats.

Again, I didn't say Rory would win. I also said people would almost certainly make it out to be a major achievement. However from a rational position, BJ has minimal career upside for Rory.

BJ is smaller than he is.
BJ is actually naturally a weight class lower.
BJ is not a title contender.

While losing to BJ which is extremely possible in this fight certainly inhibits Rory's march up the WW ladder (captain obvious I am!) How does beating BJ progress it.

If as fans we want to learn as much as possible about a fighter as we can, this is not a fight that will help us much. BJ is not known for wrestling. That is what we need to see Rory against to make even a remotely educated guess on where he can ultimately stack up at 170 and beyond.

VTFU...when i get on a laptop. Nice thought process. Great post. Phone Post

Rory destroys BJ..no disrespect to BJ Phone Post