The sad tale of a former 80s kickboxing champ

3 Likes
2 Likes

I thought Michael Mouseboxer would have some of his bouts and sure enough.

This is an incredible channel especially for these earlier Full Contact Karate / PKA / WKA / ISKA days.

It’s a shame to see that cocaine shot him to shit, that drug really grabs a hold of people.

3 Likes

yeah i love his channel…he has so many classic kickboxing bouts

it is sad how a talented guy like this can be ruined by coke
as were many people in 80s…

i wonder if he had any boxing fights

2 Likes

And many people today unfortunately I know more than a few who died while under control of that stuff and I’m only 31.

Glad you are familiar with his channel.

The content he creates himself on big kickboxing events and fights is stellar…woah that’s an 80s term isn’t it…or 90s? Anyways.

2 Likes

I remember Crandall. Sad to see this.

2 Likes

yeah buddy i am in the same age group as you and also know people whose
lives were ruined by that drug

thanks his channel is great and yes the content is stellar for sure
did you see that they took his channel down for a bit a couple of mouths ago

1 Like

Wait coke is really a big deal like that?

2 Likes

Crazy. i trained with him. We had the same coach, same school while I was competing in KB and attending East Carolina University after my tour of the Army. Memories. What a waste. Along with Oaktree Edwards

5 Likes

who is oaktree edwards?
how good was curtis crandall? since you trained with him

2 Likes

Coke snatches peoples soul man, very highly addictive.

1 Like

Any other names from the era?

1 Like

Dale Frye also trained with us. He was NA PKA champion. I did many rounds with him. He became a successful stuntman and actor. I think he was in the first Ninja Turtle movie and many others.

3 Likes

Nice that reminds me of Curtis Bush ever run into him? He was a world champion of the time and got into the stunts / movies also appearing in TMNT he was a foot soldier that got dummied and had his mask removed.

2 Likes

what a shot

4 Likes

I did coke once (and not really by choice) and that was all I needed to know that I couldn’t do it at all.

3 Likes

Like anything, moderation is the rule

Oaktree was at one time the PKA heavyweight champ back in the early 1980’s. He actually had some national exposure on network tv when they showed a title fight with Ross Scott on CBS Sports Spectacular, which was CBS’ version of ABC’s Wide World of Sports. The fight was a dud and got bad reviews.

Back in the day there was a guy named Steve Shepherd who was a top kickboxer at the time and a pioneer of American kickboxing. He used to promote his own fights and actually held both the PKA & WKA world welterweight titles at the same time. He used to co sanction his fights and when the PKA found out about the co sanctioning of fights, they stripped him of the PKA title.

To get back at the PKA and in an attempt to embarrass them, Shepherd challenged Edwards in a non title fight. Welterweight Shepherd defeated heavyweight champ Edwards by a unanimous decision and got his revenge. Some time later Don Wilson a light heavyweight also challenged and beat Edwards as well.

2 Likes

Saw this one live at Lake Tahoe. The program says Bush’s original opponent was Rick OKane, but he pulled out due to an injury and Visitacion took his place.

2 Likes