'The Savage Peace'

Found an interesting documentary produced by the BBC in 2015 called '1945: The Savage Peace'... It's about the reprisals against ethnic Germans following the end of WWII and is the largest ethnic cleansing in known history. It mostly deals with the what happened in Eastern Europe but does touch on what happened in the German heartland as well. It talks about the mass rape and murder, and systemized torture of ethnic German minorities, especially in the former Czechoslovakia and what became Poland.

Many will say that the German's deserved it, and from a certain point of view it's hard to argue. The problem is that in the end what was done to these people, was no different than what the Nazi's did, and because by the end Germany was impressing kids as young as 10 to fight, the victims were almost entirely women and very young children... And those who were imprisoned for speaking out against the Nazi's.

These are events that are largely ignored or unknown outside of Germany. And because German's still live in perpetual guilt, it seems they ignore it as well. I knew about the reprisals of course, but was surprised at the depths it sunk to, and how much it altered the ethnic makeup of Europe.

On a personal note, my grandmother was 20 when the war ended in Germany. She refuses to talk about the immediate aftermath... Considering the widespread rape, sanctioned in some Allied quarters, I can't help but wonder what she had to endure.

If you have Netflix, look it up...

You know those good old OGers Grandad's didn't have to take it from your granny.

Hitler was the worst thing to ever happen to the German ppl

Uwe Boll was the single worst thing to ever come out of Germany.

gregbrady -

Hitler was the worst thing to ever happen to the German ppl

I think that's pretty much indisputable...

pretty brutal documentary

I knew about the soviet rape machine but not some of the other reprisals

thanks amdaeus

I gotta admit, I'm disappointed this thread didn't get more traction... It's an extremely interesting forgotten chapter in history.

Maybe it's because even today we think that 'the German's deserved it'... Even the 3 year old children who were starved, beaten, and had their heads stomped in because they were German.

amadeus - I gotta admit, I'm disappointed this thread didn't get more traction... It's an extremely interesting forgotten chapter in history.

Maybe it's because even today we think that 'the German's deserved it'... Even the 3 year old children who were starved, beaten, and had their heads stomped in because they were German.
It's a profoundly uncomfortable subject