The Sean Gannon Interview part 3 #JusticeForGannon

#JusticeForGannon

Part 1 of the Sean Gannon interview was rightly described by a number of UGers as the best thing they ever read in the UG Blog. Part 2, too, is must read.

Gannon is a member of MENSA, a UFC vet, with championship experience in amateur boxing, grappling, and Judo. He famously beat Kimbo Slice in a bareknuckle session. And he’s one of the smartest guys I’ve ever talked to. For a decade, the BPD has spent a fortune of the taxpayer’s money to keep him stuck behind a desk.

There have been public servants who feign injury to avoid work. Gannon’s case is the reverse – he is seeking acknowledgment from the Boston Police Department that he is fit to serve and protect on the streets.

This is part 3.

Kirik Jenness: How did you have the strength to keep fighting this for 10 long years?

Sean Gannon: I've had a bright, shining example living in my own neighborhood, and later, working right in front of me, someone who also had to fight for 10 years, but facing far more adversity than I ever did. I'm going to call this part of the interview, The Day Black Lives Didn't Matter, it's the first in a series of book reviews. This particular book is called The Fence, an excellent piece of investigative journalism by The Boston Globe's Dick Lehr.

One night, an African American security guard was murdered. He was just a regular guy doing his job, trying to support his family and maybe doing some good at the same time. The suspects fled in a wild car chase culminating in an even wilder foot pursuit on Woodruff Way after they bailed out of the car. The responding officers were able to catch the last suspect just as he was clearing the fence. The suspect had a gun, but the officers were able to subdue him with hand to hand without having to shoot him, but they certainly weren't polite about it. As it turns out, having to resort to firearms would have been exceptionally tragic in this case, because when they rolled his battered, unconscious body over, he was wearing a badge. A brave young plainclothes officer had been leading the pursuit. The tradecraft that enabled him to blend in with the seedier elements and do his job so effectively had also been his undoing, he had become a victim of "friendly fire" by his own people. He was so good at it, even one of the suspects looking back assumed someone from his crew had been caught by the cops.

Michael Cox had been a young, idealistic police officer determined to save the neighborhood he grew up in. One thing Dick Lehr didn't know was that this wasn't the first time Michael Cox had gone down. This was the third. The first time, an officer had been patrolling Blue Hill Ave, and heard a broadcast from Michael Cox, breathlessly chasing a "BLACK MALE, DRESSED ALL IN BLACK WITH A GUN!" across Blue Hill Ave. And guess what suddenly appeared in front of the patrolling officer? A black male, dressed all in black with a gun. He hit the gas and clipped the guy (a pretty reasonable use of force given that he had a gun, and avoided another tragic shooting). However, as the guy faceplanted across his windshield, he realized he had made a mistake. The face plastered on his windshield was Michael Cox's. "Sorry Mike!" the officer said. "Don't worry about it," said Mike as he hopped off the hood of the cruiser and continued his dogged pursuit.

Mike was a brave young idealistic police officer. But the thing about being a brave young African American police officer in plainclothes trying to make a difference in your own neighborhood is that when you're chasing a "BLACK MALE DRESSED ALL IN BLACK WITH A GUN!" across Blue Hill Ave, you just described YOURSELF! I've actually never personally known a good, aggressive African American plain clothes officer that DIDN'T have a near death experience from friendly fire. Hell, I remember the day Craig Smalls (another great cop) turned WHITE he came so close to death. We were chasing an armed suspect through backyards near the border of the B-2 (Roxbury) and C-11 (Dorchester). Craig was first in pursuit (as usual) and he cleared the fence...into the guns of the C-11 officers (guys from a different district that didn't know him). Nowadays Craig now works a quieter assignment in the Department, having done more real police work than 10 ordinary cops do in a lifetime, perhaps a little jaded by a Department that wouldn't back him and a community that didn't always appreciate him. And we're BETTER at this than most cities, we're actually the largest city I'm aware of that has never had a Friendly Fire death. But that night, we came close.

The next time Michael Cox went down, he was a little slower to get up, still brave, but a little less idealistic. And the last time he went down, he didn't get up for a very long time. When they realized he was a cop, something very shameful happened. Everyone just left the area and continued to look for the suspect, assuming someone else would take responsibility, call for medical assistance and write the report. Up till then, a very strong argument can be made that everything they did was necessary, maybe even heroic...taking down an armed murder suspect with a gun in close quarters, in the middle of the night, without shooting him, preventing an exceptionally tragic shooting from taking place sounds pretty solid right? Just walking away and leaving him bleeding in the snow, assuming someone else would take care of it was wrong. However, later it would become clear why nobody wanted to be the one to write that report.

The only guy that did his job right that night was another brave young police officer, this time a white guy from South Boston named Kenny Conley. That would prove his undoing. Kenny, a tremendous athlete, got ahead of the pack, chased down one of the ACTUAL murder suspects, tackled him, won a quick wrestling match and cuffed him. Then he humbly handed him over to other officers that took credit for the arrest (and did the hours of grinding paperwork) so he could get back to chasing bad guys on a Saturday night. Just a straight badass dude, a cop's cop.

The other officers couldn't take credit forever, when investigators began asking probing questions about what happened at the Cox incident, those guys were quickly forced to admit they hadn't even been there. And quick to point the finger at Conley. In court, everyone else allegedly at the scene took the 5th when they took the stand. Everyone but Conley, who was rightfully proud of the work he had done that night. As one senior officer commented, "Someone told him that he had done the right thing and that meant he would be OK. He got bum advice."

Federal prosecutors in the shadow of the Rodney King verdict were all hungry for the glory of hanging a cop for excessive use of force. This seemed tailor-made for them. They heard some Irish-sounding last names involved in the incident, and were salivating at the opportunity of hanging some evil white cops. They were bitterly disappointed when most of the guys allegedly involved turned out to be black guys with Irish surnames. So they grabbed the nearest white guy they could find and put him on trial. The nearest white guy they could put at the scene was Kenny Conley (by his own testimony).

They made a deal with the murder suspects that they could walk if they testified against Conley. Black Lives Didn't Matter that day, all that mattered was making a name for yourself by hanging cops. This black guy wasn't a criminal shot by police, he was a regular working guy, struggling to take care of his family working as a security guard, making money by protecting people (sort of like cops are supposed to do). The Federal prosecutor said (figuratively) "F*** his family! F*** a regular working guy trying to do the right thing! We don't care about those kinds of black people, we only care about black criminals hurt by cops." They were ahead of their time.

The prosecutors had the murder suspects testify and provided detailed diagrams "proving" Conley must have seen who took down Cox. Conley maintained he didn't see it, he was busy chasing and wrestling with his own suspect. The only guy that did his job right that night. He was convicted of perjury and sentenced to prison. He was told he could walk if he testified against the other officers. He said he wouldn't commit perjury to wrongfully convict someone, and that he could do his time as well as the next guy. What he couldn't do is lie and dishonor himself with a wrongful conviction of another man. A key point in this, is that Conley didn’t even LIKE some of these guys, he actually got into a brief scuffle with one of them at a bar (quickly broken up), angry that the guy wouldn’t step up, angry that the guy still got to wear the blue and be a cop while Kenny was a convicted felon that would soon be wearing prison orange. He just had too much integrity to put his hand on a bible, lie, and participate in the wrongful conviction of another man. He would rather just do the time himself…also wrongfully. Kenny appeals, and supports his family by doing construction and ironically, working as a carpenter as he is crucified by the Department for the sins of other men. He appeals all the way to the Supreme Court…and loses. And this is where the story gets messed up.

KJ: It's not messed up already!?

SG: It gets substantially more messed up. About halfway through this ordeal, one of the murder suspects is at the court to testify against Conley. He points at somebody and asks when he is going to prison. That guy is not Kenny Conley, it was another big jacked white guy, someone who was at the scene of the Cox beating. The prosecutor (disgraced former Assistant U.S. Attorney Theodore S. Merritt) realizes that all his diagrams "proving" Conley's guilt were bulls***, and that he's been putting an innocent man on trial this whole time (and attempting to suborn perjury).

KJ: So he's cleared?

SG: No, that's the messed up part, they doubled down, and started putting MORE pressure on Conley to testify against the other officers. The only way they could avoid disgrace is if they broke Conley. But Conley refused to be broken, like Jake Lamotta just refusing to go down. Day after day, he had his "last meal as free man" with his family before going to court, believing he wouldn't be coming back for years. Local politicians, like U.S. Representative William D. Delahunt interceded to make sure he got just one more chance, and his (brilliant) legal team kept throwing Hail Marys until they finally hit paydirt. They actually got the US Supreme Court to overturn their own decision based on new evidence!

It turns out that prosecutors were withholding other exculpatory evidence. It turns out Officer Ritchie Walker had admitted to Internal Affairs that he didn't really remember what happened that night, and had testified against Conley anyway. He was rewarded with a gold Detective's shield. Just in case the rookies haven't heard, yes, Ritchie Walker will testify against you about stuff he doesn't remember if he gets gold. Back in Biblical times it was 30 pieces of silver, but nowadays, with inflation, it's gold - a gold Detective's shield.

KJ: Jesus.

SG: More like "Judas". Some guys will say, "But Ritchie is a really good detective, he deserves that shield." I say, yeah, he's good. Almost too good. How does he even know half that stuff without playing part time for the other team?

That was the beginning of the end. Then their whole house of cards began to fall apart. There was actually a whole lot more disgraceful behavior involved from people in power, some of it public knowledge, some of which has never been released before.

THIS PART OF THE INTERVIEW WAS REDACTED PRIOR TO PUBLICATION, MAY BE ADDED IN LATER

SG: When I first heard of Kenny Conley, I thought this guy is so incredibly brave, being a cop in prison, fighting for your ass every day is no picnic. Being willing to face that, purely for honor, is not something many people will do. After I finally met him, I still knew he was incredibly brave, but not quite as brave as I had thought.

KJ: What do you mean?

SG: He is one BIG, BAD, intense, intimidating, Conan the Barbarian style son of a bitch! And when someone like me says that, that should mean something! It's always incredibly brave to be willing to go to prison for your principles, but he was just getting ready to give his best rendition of Rorschach's Watchmen speech - "I'm not trapped in here with you, you're trapped in here with MMMMEEEE!!!!" He got into his prison lifting routine early, every day for 10 years he worked out like he would be fighting for his ass in prison the next....because it might just be true. Everyone in South Boston has a Kenny Conley story - "I got jumped by 5 guys at the basketball courts, Kenny stepped in and kicked all their asses!" Also, just a genuinely kind soul. When I'm working the desk in his District (A-1 - Downtown Boston) and some late night party go-er loses his friends (and his ride home) because his phone died, Kenny will unhesitatingly just hand some stranger his own iPhone charger and ask them to drop it off at the desk when they've got a ride home. Then he hits the streets to go commit more badassery.

Kenny, I'm sorry I couldn't ask your permission for this, but then you would have been implicated when Internal Affairs came calling, and none of us want to go that route again. You're my Sergeant sometimes now, so if you feel I misrepresented you in any way, I guess I'm going to get the shittiest assignments for the next six months. But I hope it's something you approve of, because you have some amazing pics I think would really help make this article. Next time you see me, blink once for yes, twice for no on the pics. Or just send them to Tales.of.the.BPD@gmail.com. Or maybe I'm just some dickhead that will put them up anyway. That's called Plausible Deniability and Reasonable Doubt.

KJ: How long did his ordeal last?

SG: 10 years. That's why I don't feel quite so bad about my own 10 years, because his 10 years were a lot harder and more hopeless than mine, and he still prevailed in the end. You've just got to keep the faith and keep fighting these lying scumbags to your last breath. Never let them take your honor or your hope. He still had to fight to get his job back from these scumbags but he eventually hit them for over a million in back wages and damages. He and I are part of an elite club, The Seven Figure Club, the guys they've spent over a million dollars in taxpayer money trying to wrongfully get rid of.

KJ: Conley must hold the record!

SG: No, that honor belongs to Dave Williams.

KJ: Who is he?

SG: He is one of the other guys from The Fence. To distract people from his mishandling of the Conley case, Commissioner Evans (the first one) decided to compound his error by illegally firing Dave Williams with pretty much no evidence. This broke one of the most important rules of police work - "No matter how much you want to get the guy, you've got to do it the right way." And also "A**hole today, a**hole tomorrow," two of the most important mantras of police work.

KJ: I think I get it but what do they mean?

SG: It means that if someone is an a**hole (in this context, this usually means some kind of predator) and you lack the Probable Cause to arrest them, you don't do anything sketchy to get that Probable Cause, you do it legit or you don't do it at all. They're still going to be an a**hole tomorrow, and you'll get another chance to put him away. And another, and another. And heck, if he suddenly stops being an a**hole, then he's really not much of a problem anymore anyway. Some people do eventually grow up, and if he's no longer the person that does these things, then there is no reason to be targeting him anyway. If you have some junkie breaking into cars today, and he ditches all the evidence before you catch up to him, and you don’t have a reliable witness, then you’ve got to let him go, not “find” evidence that didn’t exist before. He'll still be a junkie tomorrow, he'll still be stealing, and you'll have another chance to get him. And if some day he stops being a junkie and stops stealing, even better. Being an honest cop is sort of like being a batter in the Major Leagues - if you fail less than 2/3rds of the time, they put you in the Hall of Fame. There is no way you're going to catch, convict, or even know about the majority of crime, you've just got to be able to work honestly and effectively with what you do have and do know about.

The Commissioner broke that rule when he illegally fired Dave Williams. By that point, there had been so many lies, frame jobs, bullshit and cover ups, it had been impossible to know who did what that night. And by law, the Commissioner must have cause, and must be able to prove it to fire someone. This is a safeguard that was written into law because they used to fire the entire police force and fire department every time a new mayor got sworn in. This obviously meant you lost a lot of veteran expertise, so they wrote specific laws about what evidence you needed to fire guys, to make sure the job was performed by guys with skills instead of the current Flavor of the Month. The Commissioner needed to fire someone to cover up how badly he handled the Conley case, and Williams was the sacrificial lamb chosen for that. And it's worth noting, that out of everyone allegedly at the scene, Williams was the least likely to do anything bad to Cox - they were classmates in the Academy.

Williams got his day in court, the truth came out, and he was reinstated. The taxpayer was again bent over by Department because they had to pay him $500,000.00 in back pay (and probably expended an at least equal amount in legal fees and investigatory resources used to achieve their unlawful design). And the Department was just getting started on wasting taxpayer money on their illegal vendetta. They kept calling him back to Internal Affairs on another case. Years later, he used slightly different words to describe the same incident. They decided to hang him for Untruthfulness, which is one of their favorite weapons nowadays, because who really knows what the Truth is? Certainly not these guys, they've lied so much and so often, they don't know where the truth ends and the lies begin anymore. And when the other party in Dave's new complaint realized the city was hanging their officer out to dry, his (very sharp) attorney decided to use the opportunity to wack the city for another 1.4 million. That's a major danger when you're trying to "get" an officer you have no real evidence against, you're not just making him look bad, you're making the taxpayer incredibly vulnerable to any shark attorney that smells the blood in the water. You can manufacture enough evidence in a kangaroo court Internal Affairs hearing to make him look bad, but this opens the taxpayer up to immense liability, and when your "facts" get seen where it matters, you get laughed out of court and ordered to reinstate him with back pay anyway.

So he was fired (again), and ordered re-instated (again), this time with $400,000.00 in back pay when the courts heard the real facts. And again, you can probably double all these numbers with the ancillary costs of doing this kind of dirt. The Department appealed, lost, appealed their appeal, lost again, and now they're trying to get one last bite at the apple with the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court (the same court hearing my case) in a few days. I realize my words won't influence the court, but every time his case comes out, the Department leaks a story to besmirch the name of a good man and a good officer, and I thought I would at least be able to set the record straight in the court of public opinion. Dave Williams is held in high regard by the working cops on the street and the continued vendetta against him is an expensive boondoggle for the taxpayer. It's like when (the slightly less foresightful) George Bush Junior dragged us into a war in Iraq based on stuff Saddam had tried to do to George Bush Senior, except this time it's a sibling instead of a son. There should be no room for family vendettas with taxpayer money.

EDITORS NOTE: The current Commissioner Evans is the brother of the Commissioner Evans that began the action against Dave Williams.

SG: Commissioner Evans once boasted "When I fire someone, they stay fired." Legally, he can't do that. I can arrest someone and say he's staying in jail, but if I do it with no evidence, when it gets in front of the judge he's walking away free. The only way I can stop that is by manufacturing evidence, lying or framing him for something else, and I won't do that. Some people are not so morally constrained when they say they're going to do something like that.

KJ: How is your own case going?

SG: Good, they're running scared at this point, it's highly unlikely we'll even get to the end of the case in court. I ran the secret system of city cameras for YEARS while I was benched, I have enough dirt to keep dropping three articles a week like this for a LONG time. These truth bombs will keep landing closer and closer to the people in power till they decide it's easier (and safer) to just do the right thing. Even if they don't land directly on them, they know that they'll eventually land on someone that will rat them out. And with all the amazing tips rolling into Tales.of.the.BPD@gmail.com, this train just keeps speeding up. AND THIS TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES! This stuff goes all the way to the highest levels, and will reflect very poorly on everyone in charge. If this Commissioner won't do the right thing, I'm sure his successor will. And when I get my settlement, I'm going to ask that I be given the Kenny Conley Award for Fighting Official Misconduct and Corruption.

KJ: They have such an award?

SG: They damn well ought to! They shouldn't be able to endlessly besmirch a good man's name, saying, "You're dirty!" You're a liar!" You're stupid!" and then when they're proven wrong, just bend the taxpayer over for another million dollars and say "My bad." At that point permanent damage has been done to your reputation and psyche. They should have to pin a medal on your chest, something they have to look at every day, something that says, "You're weren't dirty, WE WERE ... You weren't lying, WE WERE ... You're not stupid, WE WERE!" Hopefully, that would help keep stuff like this from happening again, and save the taxpayer a lot of expense and aggravation. If the Department won't do it, I'll see if the Union will start giving the award. Something needs to be done. "Justice for Conley" (the South Boston bumper sticker campaign that helped free Conley) also inspired our own #JusticeForGannon hashtag campaign, Old School to New School. We were actually originally thinking of going with #FreeGannon, but my lawyer advised me, "Sean, you want to save that for when they actually incarcerate you. These people are DIRTY and they don't play nice." I also wanted to say something about the FBI's role in this fiasco.

KJ: What's that?

SG: They weren't in it. And also, thank you for your service. You guys have come a long way since the days of John Connolly and Whitey Bulger, you've cleaned house and are now giving stellar service to the City of Boston. I'm asking that you help clean house for us too. I'm willing to fully cooperate in any investigation against corrupt Command Staff, and you have the full resources of Tales.of.the.BPD@gmail.com at your disposal. And again, I'm invoking all whistleblower protections, and I'm allowed to talk to the media because of the ruling the Department made that I am free to discuss my case. All these things show a general pattern of misconduct that is entirely relevant to my case. Plenty more stories just like it coming out.

THE FOLLOWING PART OF THE INTERVIEW WAS REDACTED PRIOR TO PUBLICATION WHILE SEAN SEEKS PERMISSION TO USE A STORY AND QUOTE FROM SOMEONE. IT MAY BE ADDED IN LATER WITHOUT ANNOTATION

KJ: How is Michael Cox doing now?

SG: Michael Cox also won a big settlement from the city for the "Friendly Fire" incident. The Department then issued a new rule that plain clothes officers must now wear a blue jacket with Boston Police stenciled across it in large letters.

KJ: That sounds a little ... silly. And possibly suicidal if they're doing something dangerous.

SG: It is, but it neatly solved the Legal Department's liability issue. If you want to do your job undercover, you obviously can't wear a big jacket saying "Boston Police" on it. So they have to leave the jacket behind if they actually intend to do their job. And if they get hurt by friendly fire, now the Department can just suspend them for not wearing the jacket, hang them out to dry, and laugh at any lawsuits from their survivors. And if they don't produce the numbers an undercover officer should, they just transfer them out, and bring in some other idealistic kid willing to risk it all to make Command Staff look good. It's pretty much a perfect system. They declared victory George Bush Junior style and then rode off into the sunset. And to continue answering your question, Michael Cox is now a highly ranked member of the Command Staff (and one of the guys that actually pulls his weight) as well as the proud father of former New York Giants running back Michael Cox Junior. And one more note - I'm also asking if I can get an interview with Channel 4 reporter Steve Burton.

KJ: The Pats guy?

SG: Yeah, we used to hang out in Faneuil Hall together back when I did the detail there 10 years ago. Just a really cool, chill genuine person. He's someone that has personally witnessed the quality of my work, and someone I trust.

#JusticeForGannon

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

Gannon should be working on a book about all this shit.

groundfighter2000 - Gannon should be working on a book about all this shit.

Absolutely should. Sit down one of the newspaper writers from the Herald or the Globe. My grandpa was chief of detectives and captain of the Somerville police  a good size city next to Boston (a great article of him being tired of Police protecting whitey. Hers an article of my grandpa having enough and  literally threatening  whitey is here.http://www.thesomervilletimes.com/archives/16623  So few old school, do it right cops left. 

#justiceforgannon 

BostonCharm - 

Absolutely should. Sit down one of the newspaper writers from the Herald or the Globe. My grandpa was chief of detectives and captain of the Somerville police  a good size city next to Boston (a great article of him being tired of Police protecting whitey. Hers an article of my grandpa having enough and  literally threatening  whitey is here.http://www.thesomervilletimes.com/archives/16623  So few old school, do it right cops left. 

#justiceforgannon 

Your dad was a Black Lives Matters activist that hated white people?

Just messing with you. For out of towners (and people that believe in proper capitalization) he's talking about Whitey Bulger, leader of the Winter Hill Gang in Somerville.

Would be an interesting movie...

GladiatorGannon -
BostonCharm - 

#justiceforgannon 

Just messing with you. For out of towners (and people that believe in proper capitalization) he's talking about Whitey Bulger, leader of the Winter Hill Gang in Somerville.

Thank you for being so honest. In these days of police / civilian confrontations its fresh to hear someone on one side be completely honest. If more people came out and spoke up we'd have better policing and better communities. They need to let you do your job!

That Conley case is nuts.

My only worthless critique for this series is to stop mentioning MENSA :)

Everything else is awesome. Really sucks what they are doing and how shitty the department sounds. Not surprising unfortunately. I remember when you said they were encouraging folks to arrest citizens for recording cops even when it was clear the statute would never fit and there were first amendment issues even if it had been written that way. Phone Post 3.0

Sorry that last part is my interpretation from that time. Don't mean to put words in your mouth. Just remember discussing it with you. Phone Post 3.0

Fake Pie - Sorry that last part is my interpretation from that time. Don't mean to put words in your mouth. Just remember discussing it with you. Phone Post 3.0

It was actually a topic of debate at the station house. We were given a training video saying to keep arresting for it under these circumstances, and some of the older guys looking at the law and saying "You'll be sued".

GladiatorGannon -
Fake Pie - Sorry that last part is my interpretation from that time. Don't mean to put words in your mouth. Just remember discussing it with you. Phone Post 3.0

It was actually a topic of debate at the station house. We were given a training video saying to keep arresting for it under these circumstances, and some of the older guys looking at the law and saying "You'll be sued".
Yeah I remember telling you that you guys were going to lose in court on that and I think you said or relayed that other people said well our lawyers think we are doing the right thing and have a good argument. Those are probably the same lawyers fucking you right now. Shows how honest they can be. Phone Post 3.0

Sean, reading that story (and I've only read part 3, would like to read the other 2 parts if I can locate them) the impression I get is there is a ton of dirty cops and corruption in the prosecutors office, judges, prison, etc. What is it about working alongside people like that is tolerable, let alone appealing? I've always thought you're one of the good guys. Your point of views here points to that. Would you clarify, do you still want to be a cop? Do you have any ideas on how to get the corrupt culture out of law enforcement?

GladiatorGannon -
BostonCharm - 

#justiceforgannon 

Damn you Gannon! ;)

This whole thing is like something out of a movie, it just doesn't make sense that a police department could be so corrupt in these times of everyone digging into everything. Fucking nuts.  

Im hoping for the best for you Gannon. Keep up the fight. 

1 Like

The sad part is as you read this, you don't even realize your police department is way worse. Phone Post 3.0