the spaz when injured

I've kinda been haivng a problem lately. I just came back from 2 months of a knee injury, and while it IS fully healed, it is not as strong as it should be, and i can feel that it is weak (and very tired after training). I don't really have a problem rolling full force if it's with technical guys, but i'm scared shitless of rolling with the spaz newbie that does atomic buttflop guard passing attempts and really goes balls to the wall and does awkward things.

I always roll with anyone who asks and usually kinda like rolling with spazzes, i just go really slow, calm and methodical when rolling with them, but now i just don't want to take the risk.

Is there any way to skip rolling with them when they ask and still roll with someone else? I mena i can obviously say "nah man i'm kinda tired now" but that makes it hard to go and roll with someone else 30 seconds later. I could of course just tell them the truth but i'm not really that kind of guy that's just blunt like that :)

Tell them that you're just coming off an injury and want to go slow: your health is more important than their feelings. Trust me they don't really care if they roll with you or the next guy in line.

Drac...it's YOUR health!
Look at it this way, no one is going to take care of your health but you.....if you get injured again, its YOU that's gonna miss matt time, it's you that will go through the pain, the rehab time.....

Bottom line, do what YOU need to do to stay healthy.

Or simply say "Just rolling with upper-belts tonight" and leave it at that.

Say... "Sorry, I gotta pee."
Then wait in the bathroom until he finds somebody else.

Or "Sorry, I'm saving myself for that special guy."

Or "Sorry, my card is full."

Or just tell the truth in a nice way. "No offense, but I'm working my way back in kind of slow and I'm waiting for (Blank) because he rolls real smooth." Maybe it will help them get the idea about how they should roll.

"Or just tell the truth in a nice way. "No offense, but I'm working my way back in kind of slow and I'm waiting for (Blank) because he rolls real smooth." Maybe it will help them get the idea about how they should roll."

There is much truth in this.

There are people at my academy who i won't roll with because they are careless/reckless/crank on armlocks & neck cranks too hard. I wouldn't have a problem saying to someone's face they were reckless and i didn't want to roll with them.

"Tell them that you're just coming off an injury and want to go slow: your health is more important than their feelings. Trust me they don't really care if they roll with you or the next guy in line. "

Agreed.

you're all of course right, but i dunno i'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to being blunt like that. I do seem to be quite blunt when the consumption of alcohol is involved, perhaps i should show up drunk to practice?

"perhaps i should show up drunk to practice"

Agreed.

Time to test the knee, get right back on the horse. hehehe

If you dont want to be blunt, just walk off the mat until you see someone who is better to roll with.

Oh... and definately go drunk.

I don't make eye contact with spazzes ... ;)

But seriously, I'd rather stick to some light drills with spazzes. There's always some position that I want to work on.

So I would say "I'm still recovering from *** injury. Do you mind if we did a light drill from --- (closed guard, or back or whatever) position?"
And often I'd let them start first and go at 25-50%, and let them 'win' a couple of times so that they get the idea how light I'm going. If they still spaz around, I'd say, "OK, that's was great. Thanks" and move on.

Yes it's mostly defending guard that scares me, since the new fashion seems to be to trying to jump over/into my guard (literally).

The knee has been tested though :) i'm kinda at a new school for the summer (i go home during the summer) so i don't know half the people there, so i don't know if they'll spaz until it's too late lol (btw i swear to god i already made this post, but i can't see it).

Your best bet would be to spar less and drill more.

But drilling is boring :(

I agree, telling people the reason you don't want to roll with them might help them improve.