the "streetfighter" mindset

Tekton,

That's what the ISR offers at its ground level and what I am currently editing. The ISR for civilians DVD set addresses that and builds from there.

I would post more but my time is better spent on the next best vehicle for being there and showing it hands on. I am certain you will enjoy the material therein.

Back to the editing PC,

-Luis

Tekton,
In our SBG intro class escapes from headlocks, and use and counters of the guillotine are heavily emphasized as they tend to occur often in fights.

Basic counters to holds are also taught, and attached striking from the single and double neck ties is introduced. As well as counters to assault tactics which use those positions.

As the student progresses all the other positions of the clinch are integrated into their pummel game, including underhooks, overhooks, 2 on 1's, bodylocks, handfighting, armdrags, chokes, snap downs, level changes, etc.

But this is the usual order.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

ttt

Paulo might have felt like a smashed Potatoe but he kept armbarring the crap out of me and Dan.LOL And I only had a "FEW" pounds on him.

Adam

I'd like to get Paulo back at one of our upcoming Camps, he had some outstanding stuff,

-Matt

My friend Rob teaches jiujitsu out of the DFW Gun Range. It's pretty interesting to see the difference in the people who train with him and the mercenary types that hang out in front of the machine guns. The guys that train are laid back good natured people but when you walk out of the gym you can just feel the paranoia that some guys have. Great article.

"you can just feel the paranoia that some guys have."

No doubt.

Thanks, I am glad you enjoyed the article.

-Matt

THE MAP IS NOT THE TERRITORY: I Took the Long Way Around

I used to hate self-defense courses. I hated taking them. Later, I
hated teaching them. I always thought that the students were
getting ripped off: 5 responses to grab, 6 responses to a wild
swing, 2 responses to a kick, poke them in the eyes, kick them in
the nuts&

Eventually I refused to have anything to do with the self-defense
aspect. I would actually refer people to Adrenal Stress self-
defense courses. I guess, even then I knew that a little aliveness,
trained intensively, over a short period of time would serve
someone better in a street situation than the dead stuff I was
doing at the time.

For those of you whove seen those courses know the deal. A
Michelin Man padded attacker goes after the victim who
responds viciously. Most classes based on this principle deal
primarily with what Matt once called the ladder to the diving
board all the steps before the altercation: dealing with the
cussing, the yelling, the fear -- being able to stay in control. Once
contact occurs the victim fights, fights, and keeps fighting.
Rudimentary skills (knee, elbow, claw the eyes, slap the groin,
knife hand) are trained in an alive manner in terms of the
introduction of the skill, but often not in the development of the
skill itself. So things often look like a foul-mouthed Barney
attacking someone who hits, hits and hits until someone calls
time.

I dont have any reservations about running self-defense courses
anymore. Our gym just ended a 10-week womens self-defense
course. I didnt run any of the classes, but I was pulled in at the
last minute to be the mugger in the FIST suit for the graduation.

Outs ran a bit differently, Lily taught the course using our 101
(intro course) material. The only difference was the limited course
length and the additional emphasis placed on awareness and
scenario training. (A 1 1/2 hour class: 1-hour physical training,
1/2-hour scenarios).

So what happened? I went through ten rounds of hell. I was
punched, snapped down, nearly choked out -- repeatedly. Kneed
in the groin (thank god for steel cups) and the coccyx. If I did get
someone down I was stomped, If I backed out of someones
guard, I got kicked in the face.

True, it was difficult to breathe, it was hot, and the suit limited my
movement. Of course I was role-playing an attacker, but it was
tough. No one cut me any slack, and I got my ass kicked.

And you know what, in the end, everyone was smiling, and was
looking for ways to adjust their schedules to fit in regular classes
at the gym because the training itself was fun.

That was something I didnt see in the graduations from the
Adrenal Stress courses I had seen. There it was mostly relief at
getting it over with. The training was intense, difficult,
challenging, scary but never fun. Most of there graduates
there had little, if any interest, in continuing their training.

(continued)

SHORT TERM TRAINING: Getting Better All the Time

Skill wise, our graduates were on the same level as someone out
of our 101 class and the skills themselves were identical. They
were able to put those skills into use in an extremely stressful
environment because thats they way they trained. They were in
much better position to defend themselves after this course than
they would have been training in any of other self-defense
courses in the area. They began with the same issues of contact,
violence, aggression, ego, but they worked through them. As
opposed to simply instilling a short-term system of coping, the
students actually had the ability to swim after they jumped of
the board.

Most importantly, in my opinion, they understood what it takes to
maintain that level of functional skill and what it takes to get
better. Thats the beauty of it. No mysteries and no false sense of
security.

Its the individuals decision where to take it from there. (Isnt it
always :o) ?)

If they were going to maintain the skills, they needed to train. If
they wanted to get better, they needed to train hard.

ISR, is great. STAB and Redline work. Rodneys and amazing coach
and Im sure his CIA program will meet his incredibly high
standards. I recommend anyone involved in the streetfighting set,
to at least look into these programs.

GROWING UP: Coach Galli Was Right After All

When I first saw the SBG website, I got very angry because I took
all the posts very personally. I was the geeky teenager with the
troubled home life and the beat up the football player fantasies.
My friends now dont believe it, but I flunked gym my first two
years in high school. My remedial PE in my junior and senior years
was wrestling. Most of the other coaches wrote me off, but the
wrestling coach didnt. He basically forced me on the mat every
class. The experience helped me immeasurably. I started to grow
up. Confronting my ego on that mat every day, did something&

That experience helped me to make the decision to join the Army
and get out of a horrible home situation. After college, I got
involved in the JKD group that eventually went tactical. Instead
of personal liberation and personal safety I found myself
around a dozen of the geeky teenagers, but this time with
knives, guns, and fantasies of breaking knees. It was scary. I
found myself regressing instead of developing.

Fortunately I took refuge in combative sport. Muay Thai and San
Shou led to a Burton Richardson Seminar, and that led to the SBGi.

Luis mentioned at the last fall camp that I used the terms enjoy
and fun just about every time I describe training. Thats because
for the first time in a long while I have no reservations whatsoever
about my training methods, no reservations about the people I
train with, and I am having fun. It wouldnt be fun, for me, if the
focus was different, or if the training wouldnt serve me well in a
confrontation. Thats why I keep training.

Jude Ledesma

www.moderncombatives.com

Right on, Jude. That was and is a great post.

"They began with the same issues of contact, violence, aggression, ego, but they worked through them. As opposed to simply instilling a short-term system of coping, the students actually had the ability to swim after they jumped of the board.

Most importantly, in my opinion, they understood what it takes to maintain that level of functional skill and what it takes to get better. Thats the beauty of it. No mysteries and no false sense of security."

These are key distinctions. (I have written similar things re: LEO training.) Taking a course, being certified, etc. are all meaningless without ongoing, consistent, and alive training.

On a related, perhaps more confrontational, note, being the author of numerous volumes on street fighting through Palladin Press will not keep you from getting pounded if you are fat and out of shape; being a first generation student of Bruce Lee will not save you from getting pounded if you spend more time with martial politics than you do training; and no amount of saying that it is a bad idea to go to the ground in a "real fight" will keep you from being grounded and pounded if you do not train some credible style of grappling.

John Frankl
www.norcalbjj.com

"no amount of saying that it is a bad idea to go to the ground in a "real fight" will keep you from being grounded and pounded if you do not train some credible style of grappling. "

beautiful quote !!!!

RodneyPoldrack my good friend Marco trains jits out of there occasionally. I actually did a little rolling there one weekend I was in town putting on a Seminar for Marco. Good group of guys.

Great post Jude! It's always really nice to hear first hand accounts like that. That is really what it's all about.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

"being the author of numerous volumes on street fighting through Palladin Press will not keep you from getting pounded if you are fat and out of shape; being a first generation student of Bruce Lee will not save you from getting pounded if you spend more time with martial politics than you do training; and no amount of saying that it is a bad idea to go to the ground in a "real fight" will keep you from being grounded and pounded if you do not train some credible style of grappling.'

Awesome qoute. . .and on that note I best go do my cardio rounds.

-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

I have two suggestions for you.

First of all nobody has suggested that training for MMA and training for self defense is the same. So suggestion one is to actually read the article or thread before posting. That will make understanding what IS being said possible.

You may wish to research more on the street vs sport section of www.straightblastgym.com located in the 'gorilla press' area.

Secondly, in the words of Rory Singer. . .paragraphs are your friend. It's hard to read as it's posted.

Enjoy the day
-Matt Thornton
www.straightblastgym.com

A and B's post formatted for your reading pleasure:

" If you train hard then you fight like how you train. If MMA has all the nasty stuff taken out by all the rules, how can they do or defend against something they never train for? For example I simply enjoy pulling the shirt or jacket over the guy's head. It has worked well in the street for me. I've never seen it taught in any MA class I've ever been to, so how to defend against it? I've seen sucker punches take down a few of my MA friends at bars.

Geeze, all those years of competition training in the comfort of a practice hall just didn't pay off. They never trained for sucker punches. I watched my karoddy friend who is one of the top competition fighters in the world fall down during the rush of his opponent only to land in a ditch and crack his scull on a rock - funny thing was that was all the damage he suffered... He never trained in the element he was likely to fight in.

A good friend who never trains, drunk as a skunk, stood with a beer in one hand and cracked the other guy with jabs in the head with his free hand. After the third jab the guy went down. My friend has a very solid jab, and he never lets go of a good beer. The other guy is known as a top fighter in town, and, the all star wrestler. This was in the middle of a dark highway of all places - I guess he didn't want to wrestle on the pavement with the chance of a car were going by... so much for ground fighting out in the street.

That same friend heard another competition fighter wanted to challenge him. So at lunch he found him downtown in front of a butcher shop, punched him and the guy went through the front window, unconscious lying in the meat display. My friend took off because he didn't want to pay for the window, he only had enough money for beer that weekend. That guy was all mouth and just wasn't ready for the sudden emotional challenge and my friend's Clint Eastwood eyes. He wasn't "mind" ready.

My friend's uncle is a thick guy who gets drunk and doesn't feel pain, he went to prison for 3 years for sending 6 police officers to the hospital. So much for training against drunk people. In asia I've seen too often the stupid gwy lo hit on a girl and her boyfriend tell him to piss off. After he took his first swing about 12 skinny local people from various places around the bar stood up, walked over, and hospitalized him.

Ever train on a regular basis in a bar against many unknown opponents? My friends went to play pool at the local bar. Two guys from out of town were hogging the table for too long and eventually a fight broke out. My friends thought they won when the four of then trounced these two guys quickly and threw them out. A minute later they noticed blood coming out of my friend's back near the kidney. He was rushed to the hospital and treated for two 3 inch deep knife wounds, he even had a leather jacket on.

Ever train in a dark room where you can't tell if someone has a weapon or not? My arnis teacher works in a hospital all his life, a lot in emergency. He sees so many people hurt from fights, many people don't mind telling the story. It's amazing how many "tough guys" who train for fighting come in with broken fingers, amazing how much from hitting things other than their opoonent... Ever train in a new setting with obstacles besides the comfort of the dojo?

I have a truck load of personal or very close to personal stories to tell of the street. NEVER NEVER NEVER have I seen one look like the NHB contests of today in shape, form, or time duration. I have been taught again and again an explosion of violence with speed going for the most vulnerable targets - a fight only lasts 6-10 seconds, if the weapon isn't out already it won't come out. "

Let me tell you how it was, back when I was working for the CIA in Vietnam. I threw this knife at this guy, but he caught it in his teeth, so I shot him with mindbullets, and one time at band camp...

I do so hate war stories.

they help with my insomnia. so thanks, man.

I used to have the streetfighter mindset but found it to be unhealthy so I got rid of my mullet and stopped wearing my wife beater shirt in public.