The ‘Sweet Science’ - The UG’s Boxing Thread!

Canelo has been outboxed by GGG twice and got the nod both times. I expect that to happen again. However, I think that he will lose to Saunders before then if that fight actually comes off.

1 Like

I rewatched the first couple of rounds of GGG vs Alvarez I. Alvarez did much better in those rounds than I remembered. His head and upper body movement was good…BUT

His footwork is terrible. This greatly limits his mobility, which is probably why GGG made him move in the second fight. Also, when Alvarez leans to slip a punch he becomes momentarily immobile with all his weight on one side. Saunders can exploit that. If he jabs and gets Alvarez to slip or feints and gets Alvarez to slip, he can crush Alvarez to the body. After a few rounds of this, he can go up top.

I don’t know if you care, but that’s what I think will happen.

It’s going to be an interesting fight, since being caught juicing Saunders hasn’t been impressive. I feel he was at his best when fighting at 160.

Dory - I rewatched the first couple of rounds of GGG vs Alvarez I. Alvarez did much better in those rounds than I remembered. His head and upper body movement was good...BUT

His footwork is terrible. This greatly limits his mobility, which is probably why GGG made him move in the second fight. Also, when Alvarez leans to slip a punch he becomes momentarily immobile with all his weight on one side. Saunders can exploit that. If he jabs and gets Alvarez to slip or feints and gets Alvarez to slip, he can crush Alvarez to the body. After a few rounds of this, he can go up top.

I don’t know if you care, but that’s what I think will happen.

I’ve argued forever that GGG should have been happy with the draw. The first five rounds he couldn’t touch Canelo. Canelo gassed and he threw very few punches in rounds 6-10, but GGG couldn’t hit him either. Canelo had very slick defense and some pretty slick counters. His slow feet have always been his weakness. He has trouble getting his punches off when he is forced to move after boxers. BJS could pose some big problems, but I question where he is at in his career. He hasn’t looked remotely impressive in quite sometime. Canelo’s people know this and are looking to add another name to his resume that looks a lot better than it really is. Kovalev looked like an old faded journeyman type against Canelo, yet Team Canelo will hype it up likelhe beat a prime Bob Foster. They are hoping BJS will give a similar effort. I’m sure they have done their due dilligence and know (or think they do) if BJS has been in the gym much, and if he has how he has been looking.

I disagree with a draw in the first fight. Canelo did have some nice counters in the first few rounds, but he was simply outworked. GGG just landed more punches because he threw more, but he still had the better offense in many of those rounds.

I think that Billy Joe has been fighting to the level of his competition. If the Canelo fight actually happens, I look for him to do great.

The great Rummy, of 'Rummy's Corner, gives his thoughts on Fury vs Wilder 2.

If you dont know Rummy, check out his channel, he's fantastic at what he does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzwK408_N30

Thanks for the post DY

No problem.  How are you guys holding up without any fights, or even sports.

I have watched a couple of the Legendary nights series, and inevitably watched rounds 9 and 10, of Gatti v Ward 1.  lol

Olympics put back too.  Maybe some of those guys will turn pro early,  and skip it.

Odd time.

Been busy with work and my daughter so it hasn’t been too too bad lol. I’ve been posting old Pride fights on the main page. 

I saw you post about Furys glove/thumb a couple of weeks ago.   I see it has picked a lot of steam among wilder supporters.  Most fighters I have heard call BS or say its a no big deal.  But Spence and Cunningham seem interested.   What are your thoughts on it?

So Rummy is the Cre of Boxing lol

Barry_BondsMVP - 

So Rummy is the Cre of Boxing lol

lol

DY2 -

I saw you post about Furys glove/thumb a couple of weeks ago.   I see it has picked a lot of steam among wilder supporters.  Most fighters I have heard call BS or say its a no big deal.  But Spence and Cunningham seem interested.   What are your thoughts on it?

it should be investigated, I like Fury but with his past history with Roids etc who knows honestly. It wouldn’t be the first or last time a fighter tried/s to get some type of advantage in a fight. 

I like Rummy’s honesty lol

Barry_BondsMVP - 

I like Rummy’s honesty lol

lol, yes.  That is part of what makes him very likable.  No ego.  He just has a passion for the sport, with self-deprecating wit.

This is a pretty entertaining episode of this podcast,  'The 3 Knockdown rule'.   Steve Kim, Mario Lopez and Joe Tessitore (guest).

They discuss Wilder vs Fury, boxing in general, and also compare positives and negatives of boxing vs MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aQ1meVAAJg

Unfortunately I can’t stand Steve Kim 

ha!  Why?   I like Kim.   He seems to be a straight talker.

I got blocked by him, Doug Fischer and Gabriel Montoya on twitter. They are GGG homers and tried to claim Ward was scared of him, so I went back and forth with them, they were also rooting for Kovalev to beat Ward, and they blocked me after Ward knocked him out lol.

DY2 -

ha!  Why?   I like Kim.   He seems to be a straight talker.

He’s made a lot of tweets that seem to really skirt the line of having a dislike for black fighters. He seems to have a particular insane hatred for al haymon. So he’s come off as very non objective