The ‘Sweet Science’ - The UG’s Boxing Thread!

Ben Davidson was commentating today. You know Ben? The young trainer who has so far worked with Fury, BJS, Haney, Josh Taylor and others. All whilst been aged 24-27.

Josh Taylor worked with him for the Ramirez fight, and spoke very highly of him. Apparently he is very cerebral and analytical.

1 Like

10 mins. Rummy gives a breakdown of the absurdity of the alphabet sanctioning bodies.

He gives an example of WBA’s HW division.

WBA World Champion - Trevor Bryan
WBA World Super Champion - Anthony Joshua.
WBA Gold Champion - Mahmoud Charr
WBA World Champion in Recess - Robert Helenius

Tyson Fury, Deontay Wilder, Joe Joyce and Dillian Whyte don’t make top ten.

But Charles Martin, Gerald Washington and Adam Kownacki do.

Daniel Dubois holds a healthy number 1 contender position, despite losing to an unranked bum like Joe Joyce, just two fights ago! lol

1 Like

Yes I know Ben. Who was the previous analyst?

1 Like

Richie Woodhall is the usual co commentator for BT. He was a decent, but not great, boxer in the 90’s. MW. Bronze medalist. Won a world title at one point.

A likable guy though. Like a Chris Algieri type.

Highlights of his fight with calzaghe.

Starts an anti bullying gym, but is on video bullying people lol

3 Likes

Well to be fair, in his speech in the video, he says he used to be a bully, and now regrets it and wants to help.

1 Like

Okay I didn’t make it that far lol. Touché.

I actually didn’t care for Ben’s commentary that’s why I was curious. It wasn’t awful but definitely left something to be desired. He didn’t seem very seasoned on the mic. Now it makes sense. But even his analysis wasn’t that good.

1 Like

Crap weekend for sports if you don’t like the Olympics

I somewhat like the Olympics

1 Like

Owen Wilson Trailer GIF

1 Like

Yeah, not everyone makes a good commentator. The voice, the tone, and the pacing has as much to do with the craft as the knowledge.

Ben is not entirely popular in the UK. If you look at some of his interviews, he often gets 25% or more dislikes. Which is quite high. He sometimes gets the unwanted nickname ‘boxercise Ben’.

However, I think much of that hatred, comes from envy, and that negative feeling that sometimes comes over us, when we feel a person is in an undeserved position.

I have no bad feeling to him, and time will tell with his boxing career.

He kind of looks like a schmuck with that hair and there’s something about his voice and the way he comes across that isn’t the most charming.

Nothing he can do about some of that but it all matters on how people perceive you.

I do agree a lot of people are probably jealous a dude in his 20’s was picked up by Tyson Fury seemingly out of nowhere and into worldwide recognition. And after leaving him is now training other world champions.

Deserved or not I guess time will tell but some high level people think well enough about him that’s for sure.

Whether Dillon was in on it or not…. Still makes him look like a hypocrite. Of course I made that comment before watching the whole video. As DY pointed out, he did acknowledge he was a bully.

1 Like

The dude talking is the give me that banana bitch right?

2 Likes
2 Likes

2 Likes

Is that suppose to be an angry basketball?

1 Like