The Top 11 Most Haunting Songs About Combat...

1. We Were Soldiers by SGT Mackenzie. Scottish band SGT Mackenzie does a powerful job of humming a war tune mixed with highland bagpipes that stays with you.
  1. I was Only 19 by Redgum. This musical apology for Vietnam is not an easy one to sit through. It's a confession of one man's sins when he was but a boy that drops your smile and raises your glass.
  1. Danny Deever by Jon Boden. Jon Boden can only take half credit for this song since the legendary Rudyard Kipling wrote the poem in 1890 that he put to music. But what an incredible job he did. Danny Dever is a poem about a British soldier hung in front of his Regiment for shooting a comrade that was one of Kipling's greatest works. Putting it to music must have been a daunting task, but it turns out to be one Boden was capable of as he paid great respect to the story of shaken soldiers who had to take the life of one of their own.
  1. Drive On, by Johnny Cash. There's no shortage of Johnny Cash songs on any list ever and we had a hard time picking this one over a few others. It's Cash's straightforward, simple delivery and impactful lyrics that give this song a punch to the gut. "Many a good man I saw fall. And even now every time I dream, I hear the men and the monkeys and the jungle scream. Drive on. It don't mean nothing."
  1. Traveling Soldier by The Dixie Chicks. How the hell can you include the Dixie Chicks in the same list with Alice in Chains and Johnny Cash? Easy. This is America. Say what you will about the southern gals, but this song is such a well-told story about a Vietnam crush that it earns a few pushes on your iPod's repeat button.
  1. And the band Played Waltzing Mathilda by The Pogues. The basic premise of this song is a wandering hobo from Australia is enlisted in WWI and loses his legs at Gallipoli. He returns home and though his wandering days are over he doesn't want anyone's pity. Nothing could be worse for this guy. He led a nomadic life of walking and suddenly didn't have any legs. This song hits home for any combat vet who wants to return to a normal life but just can't seem to.
  1. Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits. Doesn't matter who you are or where you served, Dire Straits got it right on this one. Their homage to a soldier sitting on his porch reminiscing about his days in uniform is hard to turn off.
  1. Ballad of the Green Berets by Barry Sadler. Yeah yeah yeah... "Fuck Special Forces" some of you are saying, but deep down The Ballad of the Green Berets is a tune that every branch wishes they had. The fact that it was written by a real Soldier only adds to its awesomeness.
  1. The Rooster by Alice in Chains. This shit will echo throughout your life. There's nary a trooper in the world who can discount this as noise. It's a double finger to the enemy. Here I am. Come get me if you dare.
  1. The Green Fields of France by The Dropkick Murphy's. If you haven't heard of it get thee to Google. Eric Bogle first wrote it in 1976 as a tribute from one Soldier to another who was cut down in his prime, but the Dropkick Murphy's perfected it.
  1. Goodnight Saigon by Billy Joel. There's no debate here, so don't try. Billy Joel's tribute to Vietnam is the holy grail of combat songs no matter your age.

Hero of war by ride against Phone Post 3.0

tonyromosbackspasm - Hero of war by ride against Phone Post 3.0

I think you mean Rise Against... And fuck that. That fucking song is all about how inhumane and morally spineless American soldiers are. That song turned me from being a huge fan of Rise Against to not being able to stand them.

Again, FUCK EM'!!!

BILLY DONT BE A HERO Phone Post 3.0

amadeus - 

I think you mean Rise Against... And fuck that. That fucking song is all about how inhumane and morally spineless American soldiers are. That song turned me from being a huge fan of Rise Against to not being able to stand them.

Again, FUCK EM'!!!

I think it tries to be about how war changes a person and the lingering effects that it has on you. But it ends up just being poorly written and full of cliches. The song sucks.

http://youtu.be/7KcIu3pIzWI

The Zombies: Butcher's Tale (Western Front 1914)

I've always been moved by the contrast between the gallows-humor bravado of the verses and the vulnerability of the chorus. It's especially powerful after hearing Dan Carlin's WWI podcasts. Phone Post 3.0

maybe not completely about War but this one always got me 

amadeus -

Again, FUCK EM'!!!
I did mean rise against, but I just posted that trolling like, lol

That song made me lose a ton of respect for them Phone Post 3.0

Any Amon Amarth song ever.

The Dreadnoughts - The Cruel Wars

I honestly hadn't heard that song. Rise Against comes up on an AFI Pandora station I have, but I really didn't know them. That song is brutal.

On a brighter not, I do dig the Sinead/Chieftains Foggy Dew. They played a short clip of it before McGreggor walked in against Dustin Porier. I just like the old Irish/Celtic sound anyways.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yaS3vaNUYgs

uncommon valor by Jedi mind tricks

boxing wiz - I honestly hadn't heard that song. Rise Against comes up on an AFI Pandora station I have, but I really didn't know them. That song is brutal.

On a brighter not, I do dig the Sinead/Chieftains Foggy Dew. They played a short clip of it before McGreggor walked in against Dustin Porier. I just like the old Irish/Celtic sound anyways.

metallica - one ?

Good thread OP Phone Post 3.0

Awesome. And rooster is a great song. Glad to see that on the list. Vtfu Phone Post 3.0