The Top Traders in the World $$$$$

Are you assuming only those who create some kind of social wealth should be compensated for it, or that there should at least be a positive correlation? Maybe I'm reading that from your post and it's unintended.

What data is used to say traders don't beat indexes? I have to see any real data that represents traders as a whole (who are themselves a hugely various group), only various studies concerning the US equity markets, which is only a small piece of puzzle. In the case of other markets, which indexes are they unable to beat and which studies are you referencing?

By and large, most traders fail because of inadequate capital, risk management, disciple, and overly adequate ego. That's not from a study. It's from my own personal experience, admittedly.

I still don't see how this is a scam. I only see an article through which the author tries to pluck heart strings to show how evil M&A people are.

Much of the income of hedge fund managers is derived form themselves having a huge stake in their own funds.

those guys shouldn't be allowed to make that kinda money when the nurse that wiped my ass when I was in a stupor from od'ing only makes $50k

it ain't right I tells ya

"i think this is demonstrably false over a ten year period. ex poste their may be exceptions."

Uh, the guys on that list definitely generate over 10%, pal. Simons has been kicking the shit out of your S&P500 for a long time.

I'd be interested to see what these guys grades were like...

crooks and swindlers every lat one of them

You gotta admire them though. They played the system.

Do these funds take individual investment from guys like you and I?

Is there a minimum amount?

"Stevie Cohen is absolutely the richest man on that list if i had to guess actual worth"

Cohen is personally worth around $3 billion

"Do these funds take individual investment from guys like you and I?

Is there a minimum amount?"

I believe the SEC mandates that to invest in a hedgefund you gotta have a net worth of $1 million or at least a $200,000 per year income.

However, each fund has their own bar and I bet most of those on this list are closed to new investors and they probably had a minimum of $10 million back when it was open.

They are not easily accessable, in other words

You gotta admire T. Boone.

Dude's been up there for a LONG time. WTF is that dude even working for anymore? He should be chatting with his old buddies about sand wedges and 9 irons.

The thing about hedge funds is that the managers aren't slaving away 60 hours a week like a corp inv. banker, unless they really want to.

Lots of them just make the trade and then have to endure the pressure until it comes home or goes bust.

The only thing that Ben Stein said that is close to correct is that the vast majority of Hedge Funds do not beat the market.

There are probably 7-8000 HFs nowadays. Most are tiny and do not do very well.

Barron's prints the performance of the larger ones about once a month.

HFs have many different strategies. Ben is confusing Private Equity with Trading. They are different.

T. Boone Pickens = worth $2.5 billion

Lol at being pissed that some of the smartest and hardest working people in the world make more money then you. In other words, if you are so smart and cool and badass, why aren't you up there?

Kbhat, when am I gonna see you on that list? It's about time!

To invest in a Hedge fund you need to be an accredited investor, which is....

a natural person who has individual net worth, or joint net worth with the person's spouse, that exceeds $1 million at the time of the purchase;

a natural person with income exceeding $200,000 in each of the two most recent years or joint income with a spouse exceeding $300,000 for those years and a reasonable expectation of the same income level in the current year; or

a trust with assets in excess of $5 million, not formed to acquire the securities offered, whose purchases a sophisticated person makes.

"why dont we grab the last ten powerball winners and see how they decided to pick their lotto numbers, and then deify them."

If they could pick say 30 Powerball winners every year for 5 or more years this would make sense.

kot1k: You know, I don't like to show off that I should have been number 4 on that list. Remember, I was once the largest 5 lot trader in the front euribor contracts.

"will these guys beat the mkt for you after fees, for the next ten years? that is the question."

Once again, YES. That's why the guys on that list are on that list.

"I was once the largest 5 lot trader in the front euribor contracts."

This is true, and at $25 per bp per lot, I'm amazed that you aren't #1.

" but realize, trading is just a game like baseball."

That might be the most ridiculous analogy ever.

"the guys are on the list due to survivorship bias. i will keep track of this list for the next ten years though, because it is something i am interested in."

LOL, most of those guys have been beating your S&P fund for more than 10 years.

Further, survivorship bias works both ways. Many of the good funds don't report because they're either closed, or are trying to keep a low profile.

You're dead wrong here.