The truth about the media ban

"By the way supersonic ESPN news showed the Tito Ortiz/Randy Couture weigh in live. UFC fighters have been guests on talk shows both morning and late night on every major network in the United States."

I am well aware. Add the BDSSP as well. But if you think these orgs have a ready supply of reportes and wriiters who can speak inteligently on MMA, i think you are wrong.

TTT for PRIDE on FSN... and K-1 on ESPN

LastCall is correct.

It seems to me that the UFC probably decided that it has outgrown the rag-tag MMA Media, and no longer needs the MMA media because its PPV shows get promoted by TUF, UFN, Fox Sports specials and mainstream media. You see evidence of this on the UFC website where there is an article (actually, more like a press release) in which the UFC brags that it has been written up recently in 5 mainstream publications.

I can understand that the UFC might want to foster a professional atmosphere and create tougher standards for press credentials. I can even understand why the UFC might want to limit the number of MMA media that gets good seats in front of the cage.

But, what I can't understand is why the UFC would not at least allow the major MMA sites to have back-stage media access so they can do pre-fight and post-fight reporting. After all, the Sherdog video reports of the weigh-in's and post-fight news conferences do nothing but promote the UFC for free.

It takes an extreme arrogance for the UFC to so coldly turn its back on the MMA Internet sites that were instrumental maintaining fans' interest and keeping MMA in the U.S. alive when all the other media wanted nothing to do with the sport.

I wonder what will happen if the TUF ratings continue to slip and the media continues to be uninterested in reporting on UFC events.

I predict that the major MMA Internet sites will receive press credentials again within a year.

"the UFC is on the best damn sports show all the time"

There is no MMA NEWS on FSN. Little promo spots are great and very important but that's not in depth reporting. Why shun the only sources for knowledgeable MMA reports?

Antico I would never deny that I have enjoyed reading articles at Sherdog, insidefighting etc..

All I'm saying is the internet media doesn't have any kind of right to be treated as if their any different than a normal fan.

Most of the articles on those sites are sparked from news that appears on the Underground first. Should we all be given press passes?

Zuffa is not banning these sites from doing just what they were doing yesterday. They're simply not going to help them do it anymore.

Why is that wrong?

"Why is that wrong?"

You're seriously asking why it's wrong for a sports promotion to deny access to their core media - the only press that gets the story right and doesn't invoke words like "bloodsport" and "barbaric" on a regular basis?

Did Zuffa suddenly become allergic to free advertising?

What do you think happened when "Ultimate Fighter" became Yahoo's most searched item last month? Do you think everyone went to the UFC's anemic clusterfuck of a website to get information?

Every special-interest industry has a devoted media. Zuffa seems to be the first organization to find a reason why that's not desirable.

"Most of the articles on those sites are sparked from news that appears on the Underground first. Should we all be given press passes?"

Every fucking time someone sneezes, it'll appear on the Underground. Since some drooling fuckhead makes a half-assed post about it, there's suddenly no reason to have a site that tries to get the facts straight?

"without sherdog, etc. people are more likely to buy the ppv"

Wrong. For the first time in my life im considering watching a UFC event by not ordering it.

ttt

All I'm saying is the internet media doesn't have any kind of right to be treated as if their any different than a normal fan.

No, they don't have any special rights but they are still media, despite your appelation of "Internet media." And media are traditionally given special priveleges at sporting events for a reason... it allows them to do their jobs and the relationship is mutually beneficial. Media reports are free advertising for the sporting body, and the media outlet profits from selling their magazine / newsletter / banner ads on website / whatever.

It's not a question of the Internet guys wanting to be treated as "special" when they're just average fans, it's a question of them wanting (and deserving, IMO) to be treated as legitimate media (which they are, by the standards of MMA).

I don't think anybody is saying that any joe blow with a blog should be given a press pass by the UFC, but the well-know, established, credible media outlets (Sherdog.com, etc.) certainly should.

what an incredibly shitty move by UFC