The UG has spoken! (MMA Rankings)

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=3837&zoneid=2

They added Sherk, not high enough, IMO. Also, Gomi is not #1. Atleast they're trying.

i love the little disclaimer

anyone on a drug related suspension is not eligible to be ranked

and i could see sherk beating every single person ahead of him

Gonzaga below CroCop is a joke. MMAWeekly blows as usual.

How can Matt Lindland be #1? Has he beaten any of the other top ten?

there is no consistency in their ranking at all. serra is 1 at ww yet gonzaga is 6 at hw with the guy he destroyed at 3

Until unified rules are in effect, I think that rankings are useless.

No Diaz on there???

mmaweekly's rankings have been screwed up way before the latest string of upsets. I'm going to guess that they come up with the first 10 names that pop in there heads for each weight class, and then draw the names out of a hat. I'm probably not too far off since they came on here telling people to e-mail them to discuss their ranking system, then don't bother to answer simple questions.

"who got dropped off to make room for sherk? its not like sherk has actually done anythin himself to raise his ranking. seems completely arbitrary."

They dropped Diaz because of the weed thing.

"and i could see sherk beating every single person ahead of him"

Very possible. Ranking him in the top 10 is still ridiculous. He has one win in recent history at LW against a guy who would have been outside th top 20 at the time and he did not look very good in that fight.

How do you get in the top 10 with 1 win over a guy outside the top 20? I also don't think he has wins over top 10 WW's so it's not like he brought the ranking with him from WW.

Chuck has no wins over top 5 fighters in years... how does he magically get anointed #1?

Who did Lindland beat to be #1?

How can Gonzaga possibly be that low?

Sok should clearly be # 2 behind Shogun.

How can Kikuchi possibly be ranked ahead of Aoki who just beat him twice at WW?

"I don't like these rankings either, but to be fair, there have been a lot of upsets lately and it's going to be controversial no matter what."

Upsets don't create controversy they just alter the rankings accordingly.

Sonnyd - Read the page and the posts above you carefully. =)

anyone on a drug related suspension is not eligible to be ranked

ttt

Sonnyd may be on a short-term "drug related suspension" ;-)

BM21

slappy too much coffee this morning?

"Chuck has no wins over top 5 fighters in years... how does he magically get anointed #1"

Chuck took out Randy twice and Babalu, those are 3 legit wins and he's still holding a belt. Horn, White and Tito were all stopages too so you can't really fault the rankings. Shogun at #2 is solid but I think Hendo at #3 is a bit like Sherk. No disrespect to Dan but who - other than Wanderlei - has he beaten in the last 3 years at 205? I would love to see Dan and Chuck lock horns, that would be insane!

You have to beat the #1 guy to be the #1 guy. Chuck has not done that.

Wandy was # 1, Arona beat him, then Shogun beat Arona.

Shogun is #1.

Since his loss to Rampage Chuck has no wins that could put him at #1.

People have to realize that when Chuck beat Tito and Randy and Babalu, Tito and Randy were considered top 5 at the time, while Babalu was a top 10. It's not his fault that they dropped lower on the rankings.

Matty Mo not being number 1 and not being in the top 10, really says something about the MMAWeekly rankings.

Chuck lost to Rampage who then promptly got destroyed by Wandy (2x) and Shogun.

Wandy was clearly ahead of Chuck at this point.