The wonderlic test

Hey so I gotta do the wonderlic test next week for upcoming job opportunity. Really good job opportunity that pays qutie well. So how difficult is the test? Ive been doing some practice tests online and with how little time you have to answer 50s, I find it a little more difficult than I expect. I found a decent strategy though of just guessing the really difficult questions instead of spending too much time on them.

Any advice? Cheers.

If in doubt : Answer C

Dangerousdoug - Hey so I gotta do the wonderlic test next week for upcoming job opportunity. Really good job opportunity that pays qutie well. So how difficult is the test? Ive been doing some practice tests online and with how little time you have to answer 50s, I find it a little more difficult than I expect. I found a decent strategy though of just guessing the really difficult questions instead of spending too much time on them.

Any advice? Cheers.

It’s more logical than it is knowledge based.

I had to take it years ago, and basically it’s just math word problems and verbal reasoning, like analogies and stuff.

The trick is in thinking about the problem, setting it up right. There’s no high level math, it’s testing your ability to think about the relationships between things, not do calculus. Nothing more complicated than fractions and introductory algebra.

Honestly, I found it pretty easy, and scored in the low 40’s (I think, it’s been a while).

Test strategy: There is no penalty for misses, so quickly go through and bang out all the ones you can get quickly.

Then go back through and get the next easiest round.

Then go back through on the ones that you just can’t get, and see if there’s any OBVIOUSLY wrong options you can eliminate and guess from the remainder.

Hint: if you have no idea, and there are two options that are VERY similar, it’s probably one of those two, and they have inserted a similar answer to trip you up if you’re not careful. Flip a coin and hope for the best.

So, where to spend your time is in setting up the word problem. Getting the fractions on the right side of the equals and such.

Also, if you take an old SAT prep book, and do the analogies section a few times, that’ll refresh how they like to ask the questions.

If I recall, it’s vaguely comparable to the whole A:B::x:Y thing.

You can take practice exams online.  It's all about practice and focus.

I took it while watching TV.  Got a 16.  Went into my office and focused got a 38 then after a few times was able to get a 45 which put me in the top 99.999%

Finally took it for real and breezed through it.  When I showed up for the inperdon interview they made me take it again on paper.

Practice.  It can help a lot.

1 Like

Thanks fellas. Been practicing a lot online. Ill be doing it online due to covid but it isnt proctored like a lot are so Ill be using my calculator for some of the trickier math ones.

Slowshot - 
Dangerousdoug - Hey so I gotta do the wonderlic test next week for upcoming job opportunity. Really good job opportunity that pays qutie well. So how difficult is the test? Ive been doing some practice tests online and with how little time you have to answer 50s, I find it a little more difficult than I expect. I found a decent strategy though of just guessing the really difficult questions instead of spending too much time on them.

Any advice? Cheers.

I had to take it years ago, and basically it’s just math word problems and verbal reasoning, like analogies and stuff.

The trick is in thinking about the problem, setting it up right. There’s no high level math, it’s testing your ability to think about the relationships between things, not do calculus. Nothing more complicated than fractions and introductory algebra.

Honestly, I found it pretty easy, and scored in the low 40’s (I think, it’s been a while).

Test strategy: There is no penalty for misses, so quickly go through and bang out all the ones you can get quickly.

Then go back through on the ones that you just can’t get, and see if there’s any OBVIOUSLY wrong options you can eliminate and guess from the remainder.

Hint: if you have no idea, and there are two options that are VERY similar, it’s probably one of those two, and they have inserted a similar answer to trip you up if you’re not careful. Flip a coin and hope for the best.

Dont think Ill have the ability to go back and forth between the pages when doing it online? Could be wrong tho, and due to time constraints dont think flipping back and forth would serve me well. Last similar type exam I did, once you selected an answer it was locked it. Thanks for the advice though pal. Any good websites with timed practice tests?

Refuse to take the test on the grounds that it is racially biased and then put your fist in the air.

Just make sure you beat Vince Young's score

Dangerousdoug - 
Slowshot - 

Any advice? Cheers.

Dont think Ill have the ability to go back and forth between the pages when doing it online? Could be wrong tho, and due to time constraints dont think flipping back and forth would serve me well. Last similar type exam I did, once you selected an answer it was locked it. Thanks for the advice though pal. Any good websites with timed practice tests?

Yeah, this was years ago, and it was a paper test. Can’t speak to the online version, sorry friend.

It's not a hard test. I took it for a job. I answered all the questions In 9 min and was told I got better than a 45 on the test. They wouldn't tell me my exact score but someone in HR said I had one of the best scores they ever had. 

Dangerousdoug - Thanks fellas. Been practicing a lot online. Ill be doing it online due to covid but it isnt proctored like a lot are so Ill be using my calculator for some of the trickier math ones.

a calculator will hurt you.  speed is important.

MojoSoDope -

It's not a hard test. I took it for a job. I answered all the questions In 9 min and was told I got better than a 45 on the test. They wouldn't tell me my exact score but someone in HR said I had one of the best scores they ever had. 

Ill add that I did no practice and had no idea I was taking it until they were walking me upstairs to the computer. You will do fine. 

MojoSoDope -
MojoSoDope -

Ill add that I did no practice and had no idea I was taking it until they were walking me upstairs to the computer. You will do fine. 

Theyre not supposed to know the score.  Wonderlic just tells your employer if you're within range for the job or not.

EFM -
MojoSoDope -
MojoSoDope -

Theyre not supposed to know the score.  Wonderlic just tells your employer if you're within range for the job or not.

They seemed to keep it super secret. I had to do a lot of pestering to figure out what I figured out. I only know of one other person who worked there who ever found out their score. This was like 7 years ago. Maybe they just told me that to shut me up. 

MojoSoDope -
EFM -
MojoSoDope -
MojoSoDope -

They seemed to keep it super secret. I had to do a lot of pestering to figure out what I figured out. I only know of one other person who worked there who ever found out their score. This was like 7 years ago. Maybe they just told me that to shut me up. 

i wasnt' doubting your story, but it's supposed to be a secret.  your company doesn't grade it, wonderlic does and only reports back if you ended up in the range (there are actually positions you can over score for from what i've heard).  i've taken it a few times, and have never been able to get my grade.  the last time i took it, i was a little intimidated by the pedigree of the people at the firm so i studied up for it.  i'm not even sure if my online score was a 45, but that's what the online practice tests claimed. 

regardless, practicing definitely made the actual test easier and the tests i found online were VERY similar to the actual test i took and like i said, i may have practiced too much as they made me retake it when i got to the interview which i thought was a little weird.

I sat at my desk and did it without a calculator, just a smalls scrap of paper and a pencil…pretty straight forward. If I had a calculator and unlimited area to write on, it would be hard to miss many answers. There are practice tests that prepare you for them and give you strategies. Once you have seen one question of every kind broken down, its pretty simple.

Same with the FBI test and logic games, same thing. Once you know the blue print, it’s straight forward.

jcblass - I sat at my desk and did it without a calculator, just a smalls scrap of paper and a pencil...pretty straight forward. If I had a calculator and unlimited area to write on, it would be hard to miss many answers. There are practice tests that prepare you for them and give you strategies. Once you have seen one question of every kind broken down, its pretty simple.

Same with the FBI test and logic games, same thing. Once you know the blue print, it’s straight forward.

yeah, none of the questions are hard.  almost anyone could get a perfect score if it wasn’t timed.  but that’s the trick, time.

EFM -
MojoSoDope -
EFM -
MojoSoDope -
MojoSoDope -

i wasnt' doubting your story, but it's supposed to be a secret.  your company doesn't grade it, wonderlic does and only reports back if you ended up in the range (there are actually positions you can over score for from what i've heard).  i've taken it a few times, and have never been able to get my grade.  the last time i took it, i was a little intimidated by the pedigree of the people at the firm so i studied up for it.  i'm not even sure if my online score was a 45, but that's what the online practice tests claimed. 

regardless, practicing definitely made the actual test easier and the tests i found online were VERY similar to the actual test i took and like i said, i may have practiced too much as they made me retake it when i got to the interview which i thought was a little weird.

I would have definitely practiced if I knew I was taking it. The interview process lasted 4 hours from when I got there to the time I left. I wasn't expecting anything like that. I was 2 hours in and they said we have to go upstairs to the computer and do some stuff. I found out I was taking a test and 5 min later I was doing it. I think I probably did better because of that. I would have definitely over thought it. I didn't have enough time to think about it and that's probably better for how my brain works. 

MojoSoDope -
EFM -
MojoSoDope -
EFM -
MojoSoDope -
MojoSoDope -

I would have definitely practiced if I knew I was taking it. The interview process lasted 4 hours from when I got there to the time I left. I wasn't expecting anything like that. I was 2 hours in and they said we have to go upstairs to the computer and do some stuff. I found out I was taking a test and 5 min later I was doing it. I think I probably did better because of that. I would have definitely over thought it. I didn't have enough time to think about it and that's probably better for how my brain works. 

what do you do?  i'm in finance.  pensions.