The world record for the marathon is 2:02:57.

That's running 26.21875 miles at a pace of about 4:42 per mile.

Which is only a minute off the world record for the mile (3:43).

How is that fucking possible? Phone Post 3.0

Sub! Is that a new record? If so, who? That's insane by the way. It's like a 26 mile sprint Phone Post 3.0

Who is this Warlock or Witch? We should consider burning them for our safety

My brother ran marathons in under 2 hours and 30 min. I cant even imagine doing that much less almost 2 hours flat.

i can't even fathom the training it takes to get to that level

That pace is faster than my best 1 mile time in high school. Granted I was a sprinter, but still.

ohpossum - Sub! Is that a new record? If so, who? That's insane by the way. It's like a 26 mile sprint Phone Post 3.0

Dennis Kimetto of Kenya (of course). Set in the 2014 Berlin Marathon.

Honestly, I can't fathom running a 4:42 mile

Running 26 of them in succession is so far beyond my comprehension it's absurd

boomtown -
ohpossum - Sub! Is that a new record? If so, who? That's insane by the way. It's like a 26 mile sprint Phone Post 3.0

Dennis Kimetto of Kenya (of course). Set in the 2014 Berlin Marathon.
Was the entire course downhill with a hurricane pushing him on? Phone Post 3.0

lol and I can't even break 4:00 (I'm a 4:10 )

I ran one where you see the front runners on a different street as they make their way back.
I kid you not the guy was full on sprinting and he was about 20miles in.

I felt great when I opened this thread. By the time I finished reading the replies my legs were sore and my knees ached.

EPO? Phone Post 3.0

It's insane and beyohnd comprehension to most.

I was a cross country runner in high school and track athlete for couple years.

Best 2 mile time was 10:43.  Best mile recorded was 4:56.  Breaking 5 minutes for a mile is pretty damn impressive for the average person. 

Royce Nelson - And here I am..... happy to just get one mile at an 8 minute pace. Phone Post 3.0
I ran a two mile loop last night and was overcome with joy when I did it in 15:55.

Now I feel like a disgusting fat body. Phone Post 3.0

Russ - lol and I can't even break 4:00 (I'm a 4:10 )

I ran one where you see the front runners on a different street as they make their way back.
I kid you not the guy was full on sprinting and he was about 20miles in.

My cousin is a BQer. He also runs 5ks in 17 minutes and has pretty fast running buddies. He went to go see the 2012 Olympic Marathon trial in Houston and got to see Meb and other leaders, and my cousin said his jaw just dropped at how fast the leaders were running. He said they were running faster than anyone he's ever seen at any road race distance.

I wonder how much faster a top marathoner can go for 200 meters in a full out, anaerobic level sprint, compared to their average 200m time at marathon pace. Phone Post 3.0

LOL - reminds me of a scene from one of Hunter S. Thompson's lesser-known works, "The Curse of Lono."

He goes to Hawaii to cover the Honolulu Marathon, and somewhere in there, one of top-end competitors either goes crazy or takes a shitload of bad drugs, and winds up running down the street naked. The cops of course give chase, only to be shocked at how they are apparently chasing "the fastest crazy motherfucker in the world." They chase him for miles (both on foot and in cars) and can't catch him as he ducks in and out of alleys, around parked cars, etc.

4:42 is their average time. Look up the race times by mile and that will really make your jaw drop. You'll see times like 4:19 at the 19th mile where they were making their move to shake someone off.

I ran the 4th leg of a relay in a marathon. When the leaders came by where I was set to start at - roughly 22 miles into their run - I could not believe how fast they were running. And they were smiling and waving to the crowd as we cheered them on. Not even struggling. Amazing. Phone Post

Alco Hauler - I ran the 4th leg of a relay in a marathon. When the leaders came by where I was set to start at - roughly 22 miles into their run - I could not believe how fast they were running. And they were smiling and waving to the crowd as we cheered them on. Not even struggling. Amazing. Phone Post

*20 miles into their run. Damn phone. Phone Post