The worth of Jon Jones

I’ve seen many claim something along the lines of:

• He’s moved up weight, he deserves it.
  • He is fighting a scary guy, he deserves it.

He only deserves what he brings in, revenue wise. Reviewing his PPV buy rates, he doesn’t ever break a million. In order to get to a 10 million payday, he’d have to hit 1.2-1.5 million PPV- this is based off of Eddie Alvarez leaked contract PPV stipulations.

Why doesn’t Jones setup his contract using the same structure?

2 Likes

Jones doesn’t exactly have a good sense of fight promotion so his PPV attainment is probably weak.

It’s not like he has a cult following where he can push those numbers, he probably doesn’t want PPV points. He wants up front money.

But for the UFC it is not only about whether he deserves it or not. They have a totally planned approach, and model. Yes, fighter gets paid more than others depending on what they bring in. But UFC have strict limits on all fighters.

UFC pays fighters (as a whole) 18-20% of total revenue. That is what they want. They want to keep it to that. Jon’s money comes out of that.

They don’t want a new situation of fighters negotiating, and holding out and UFC relenting to their demands, and forcing fighters share above 20%.

(The 18-20% figure comes from the story about UFC’s antitrust/monopoly lawsuit, and those numbers were shown in court. You can google the story. Guys like Luke Thomas covered it. 18-20% per year, every year is what UFC pays fighters of total revenue.)

This. He’s not likable but not many people hate him enough to tune in for his downfall either.

Unfortunately he’s a bit of a douche with a fake personality. He could have easily been the best ever without all the drama - that’s if he would have been the same without the juicing etc.

So what percentage of revenue does he deserve then?

You do know that is he brings in 1 million in ppv purchases that is around 60 million in revenue from ppv purchase alone?

Taken from Eddie Alvarez contract:

For combined Pay-Per-View Provider buys purchased within thirty (30) days of the live event, Fighter shall receive One dollar ($1.00) for each pay-per-view buy between 200,000 buys and 400,000 buys; and Two dollars ($2.00) for each pay-per-view buy between 400,000 buys and 600,000 buys; and Two dollars and Fifty Cents ($2.50) for each pay-per-view buy over 600,000 buys.

Based on 2 million PPV buys:
Between 200k - 400k; $200,000
Between 400k - 600k: $400,000
Over 600k buys: $3.5 million

Total: $4.1 million in PPV points. I believe he had a 500k base, so close to a 5 million payday.

Looks like the UFC has plenty of room to provide him more incentive. $5 million for 2 million PPV buys is really low.

The 60 million you’re referencing is revenue. The UFC has expenses and business partners. However, I do agree that the UFC can spend more than the 18-20% they currently payout.

1 Like

In your first post you said Jon Jones ONLY deserves what he brings in in revenue.

I was asking you what percentage of the revenue he brings in should he get paid because I am sure when you name that percentage you will also agree that Jon deserves more money.

I made another post above detailing what he would get based off 2 million PPV buys and agreed that his pay needs to increase.

What I find to be interesting are the people that say he deserves more money just becuase the fighter is scary. Gtfo. Your worth is what you bring in. He doesn’t really bring big numbers.

The ufc has been paying Masvifal ever since he started bringing the PPV numbers.

I seem to remember Masvidal having the same exact negotiation issues even after he became more popular. It wasn’t too long ago that he was wanting more money for a fight and there was a public opinion that he should not be negotiating.

I’m sure he did have issues. I’d look at it this way: most MMA “journalists” are fucking morons and have uneducated opinions. I’d imagine the other half just create click bait articles.

What everybody seems to forget is that businesses are hard negotiators. They don’t just give money away.

The UFC and Jon Jones will figure this out. I guarantee it.

i dont know how hated he is amongst casual fans, but i suspect lots of people here would buy the ppv in hopes of him losing
(i am not one)

Jon Jones: Net Worth and Salary 2021

Per Celebrity Net Worth, Jones has an estimated worth of $3 million. He has earned over $7,230,000 in his UFC career according to The Sports Daily

I find that hard to believe. GSP said he got around $5mill per fight at his peak.

GSP: " “I learned that the UFC makes the most money on pay-per-view when I am fighting. That made me smile. For me, a fight is (worth) $4 to $5 million*”

https://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/9/2550462/how-much-money-does-georges-st-pierre-make-on-ufc-pay-per-views

Agreed. But PPV % for the fighter is where the money is made. JJ wasn’t a big PPV draw.
JJ needs a top class manager to do the “UFC talks” . No Pro athlete does the work theirselve. That’s where JJ needs to take his head out of his ass.

You’re correct in the sense of having top management.

It’s a tough, uphill battle though. Coupled with the fact that the UFC doesn’t fuck around and now they’re owned by the top talent agency in the world…owners that were masters at getting the most for their clients…that knowledge now being used against the fighters/agents

“Looks like the UFC has plenty of room to provide him more incentive. $5 million for 2 million PPV buys is really low.”

That’s ridiculously low, but his contract is probably set up as the B-side of a marquee match-up. If he gets matched up with Conor and it does 2 million PPV buys, it’s Conor that is getting the A-side money, not the B-side fighter (Alvarez in this case). For being the B-side, $5 million is damn good and more than he will get an any other situation with any other promotion.

So who’s the A-side/B-side in a Ngannou/Jones matchu-up? Or are they actually equals and deserve essentially the same pay?

1 Like

“I seem to remember Masvidal having the same exact negotiation issues even after he became more popular. It wasn’t too long ago that he was wanting more money for a fight and there was a public opinion that he should not be negotiating.”

I think that may be an apples-to-oranges comparison. If Masvidal is still on a current contract as a mid-carder, but all of a sudden becomes a main-event headliner and is selling a million PPV buys per event, I’d expect him to do nothing less than demanding a new contract and PPV points. That’s not the situation that Jones is in.

1 Like