Theory - Why Hendricks is Fighting at UFC 158

I think I know why Hendricks is fighting at UFC 158 after insisting that he would wait for a title shot.

It's simple. Johny knows (or was told by DFW) that there is a chance that Diaz will screw up and not make the fight. So if that happens, Johny will be able to slide into the title fight. And if by some chance GSP gets injured, Johny can fight Diaz for the title shot that's rightfully his.

For the promotion, it's great insurance against another UFC 151 type of situation, and for Johny, it's a chance at getting a title shot sooner than he may have thought.

Because he said, "Let me bang, bro!"

and Dana said, "I'll let you bang, bro. I'll let you bang."

Maybe he wants to get a pay cheque?

Doesn't anybody ever realize it's called prizefighting for a reason?

Fighters fight to make money. I think someone must have reminded him that he isn't in college anymore.

Being on the same card will really set up the title fight and yes, I think you are right, he will get the call if diaz flakes again.

fishyfish -

pretty good theory, OP.  as a matter of fact, UFC might start to use this model more often because of the constant "injuries" issue.  good idea.

This.
It's good business sense Phone Post

of course he is on the card as insurance, plus if he wins he def is the next contender no matter what so having him on the same card ties it together nicely.

But yeah its def about having an insurance policy should Diaz fuck this up.

myjawhurts - 
fishyfish -

pretty good theory, OP.  as a matter of fact, UFC might start to use this model more often because of the constant "injuries" issue.  good idea.

This.
It's good business sense Phone Post

Yup.

i didn't get why he'd risk the fight, considering his status, but this makes a lot of senes..

So does GSP prepare for both fighters, fighters whose styles are completely polar opposites of each other? I can't imagine GSP would agree to take that bout without proper time to prepare for the change of opponent. Jones not accepting the smaller, less dangerous Sonnen on short notice was one thing, GSP would be dumb to accept the switch to Hendrix at the last minute.

Also we have no idea what could happen, GSP could win and say ok I'm ready for the super fight with Silva. If Hendricks sits out he might be waiting until the end of the year before he got a shot at the belt.

Johny can fight Diaz for the title shot that's rightfully his........

Not you to...... Really..... Come on man!!! Phone Post

Well considering Dana himself admitted he's not sure with Diaz and has backup in the form of a bunch of other WW's, it's not really a theory anymore. Phone Post

NotImpressedByYourScreenName - Who's Hendricks scheduled to fight at 158? I'm guessing they're pitching him a softball? Phone Post

Nope. Ellenberger. Phone Post

same weight class cards are the future...  not only does it virtually solve the injury problem but it also self promotes the next fights and event for that weight class.

Because he is a champ and doesnt wait for title shots Phone Post

i uhhh.. thought this was obvious. but yes, i agree

Sal Penis - 

The real question is would GSP take a late notice 2 weeks from the fight or would he pull out like Johnny Bones did? Lol. I bet he cancels the whole ppv again. Phone Post

I think GSP would take the fight....but it's an interesting question.

youarewhatiswrong - So does GSP prepare for both fighters, fighters whose styles are completely polar opposites of each other? I can't imagine GSP would agree to take that bout without proper time to prepare for the change of opponent. Jones not accepting the smaller, less dangerous Sonnen on short notice was one thing, GSP would be dumb to accept the switch to Hendrix at the last minute.

This Phone Post

AnakinHelwani - 

I think I know why Hendricks is fighting at UFC 158 after insisting that he would wait for a title shot.

It's simple. Johny knows (or was told by DFW) that there is a chance that Diaz will screw up and not make the fight. So if that happens, Johny will be able to slide into the title fight. And if by some chance GSP gets injured, Johny can fight Diaz for the title shot that's rightfully his.

For the promotion, it's great insurance against another UFC 151 type of situation, and for Johny, it's a chance at getting a title shot sooner than he may have thought.

Solid theory, but would Dana really give a guy with several wins in a row a title shot?  Chances are if Diaz screwed up and gets pulled from that fight that they'd give Martin Kampmann the title shot since he just lost. ;-)

I do not see GSP fighting Hendrick's if Diaz gets injured; he will say he prepared for Diaz and now needs another full camp...

Yes DFW will walk around saying, "I can't believe it" and Tristar/Jackson's is ruining mma like he did when JBJ turned down Chael but believe it...

Also worst case scenario GSP has to pull out again and we get Diaz/Hendricks Phone Post