"There are no atheists in foxholes"?

We've all heard the saying "There are no atheists in foxholes", but I wonder if that really is true.

I mean I wonder if you really got direct answers from soldiers who have been in firefights, and generally thought they were going to die, if at any point they said a silent prayer, or even invoked gods name to protect them.

Personally I'm more agnostic than anything, but at that point when I was shitting my pants I probably wouldn't give a fuck. If I felt at the time that it consoled me, or focused me in some way, I'd probably ask anyone and everyone to watch out for me.

So OG, do you think that saying is true? Or do you think it's just a clever religious sound byte? Phone Post 3.0

I would pray to Krom for revenge. If he would not grant it to me then to hell with him. 

Christopher hitchens.

He died of throat cancer in 2011, and i remember when he was dying people would bring up this garbage and they would make up stories that he converted.

Then he came out saying this was garbage.

It's one of those things religious people make up and pass on like it's fact.

shaqitup -

Christopher hitchens.

He died of throat cancer in 2011, and i remember when he was dying people would bring up this garbage and they would make up stories that he converted.

The wiki article has now mention of him:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are_no_atheists_in_foxholes Phone Post 3.0

Nitecrawler - 
shaqitup -

Christopher hitchens.

here

Fundamental religious people.

For example Burka? lol. Religion has made those women it's bitch.

Mormon's against coffee, tea...

Religion, it is not supposed to be rational or sane.

It's Pascal's wager. I may not believe in god but I'm going to cover my bases Phone Post 3.0

I was in a few situations in Iraq, where I have look up to the sky and said " alright well if you are up there, now is the time to help me out", this despite me considering myself to be agnostic. Phone Post 3.0

checkuroil - It's Pascal's wager. I may not believe in god but I'm going to cover my bases Phone Post 3.0

I don't think zeus would be pleased that you mentioned thousands of others gods when trying to get into his good books.

HereWeAre -

I would pray to Krom for revenge. If he would not grant it to me then to hell with him. 

THIS!!! Phone Post 3.0

shaqitup -
Nitecrawler - 
shaqitup -

Christopher hitchens.

here

Wow, that was awesome. Thanks for posting it.

VTFU. Phone Post 3.0

Jason - I was in a few situations in Iraq, where I have look up to the sky and said " alright well if you are up there, now is the time to help me out", this despite me considering myself to be agnostic. Phone Post 3.0
Thanks for being honest.

VTFU. Phone Post 3.0

Dumbest fucking saying ever.

Im not in a foxholes because of anything remotely doing with any god or any religion. I'm in a foxhole because it's the best possible way to avoid being hit by bombs and shrapnel and bullets from enemy soldiers. Period. Phone Post 3.0

Hitchens was a major boss, and maybe the most well spoken man of all time.

I didn't agree with him on everything, but he was one of those guys a lot of atheists listened to and would just regurgitate things he had said.

One of my favourites is when he went off on bill maher and his audience.

RIP Christopher.

You will always be missed.

I watch clips of the Hitch eviscerating commentators every few months.

I'm not religious, but when I'm walking home from the bars I say a quick prayer to R'hllor for safety.

Because "the night is dark, and full or terrors." Phone Post 3.0

I've never heard that saying until just now. Phone Post 3.0

It confirmed my atheism. Phone Post 3.0

allyourbasebase - It confirmed my atheism. Phone Post 3.0
Oh and that was in Iraq. I wouldn't waste time staring at the sky like a previous guy said. That's stupid. I was too busy concentrating on doing stuff that would actually save my life. Phone Post 3.0