There is no infinity in physical word

Times UG app has crashed > infinity Phone Post 3.0

Gored Matador - 
BlueDream - Pi is an infite number. Circles do exist.

right, but i agreed that in mathematics infinity exists.

but take Pi. it is used to determine the circumference of a circle. when we do math we round to 3.14 so we are really giving an approximate value.

now, apply this to a physical object. I have a balance ball. it is a sphere. It has a circumference. Now, if i put the radius into a math equation i would not get the exact answer, just an approximation.

but, if i take a tape measure i get an EXACT measruement for the circumference.

so, this is in a weird way illustrating my point about infintiy existing in math but not in the physical world.

i am ready to take that damn GED test mewo

No you would not get the exact measurement.  All measured values have an inherent error.

Isn't it strange how people talk about infinite dimensions as though that makes any sense?

Mathematics is a useful tool. But when you try to translate mathematics into intelligible concepts, you get gibberish. The use of an actual infinite, as opposed to potential, is a perfect example. It's a testament to how thoughtless most people are that they simply parrot these concepts as though they were unproblematic.

Calculus limits at infinity are very real.  It’s not just “math,” they have many practical real world applications.  Likewise with irrational numbers, It’s like saying the number “one” doesn’t exist outside of math.  The only time “one” shows up is in math.

BlueDream - 
Gored Matador - 
BlueDream - Pi is an infite number. Circles do exist.

right, but i agreed that in mathematics infinity exists.

but take Pi. it is used to determine the circumference of a circle. when we do math we round to 3.14 so we are really giving an approximate value.

now, apply this to a physical object. I have a balance ball. it is a sphere. It has a circumference. Now, if i put the radius into a math equation i would not get the exact answer, just an approximation.

but, if i take a tape measure i get an EXACT measruement for the circumference.

so, this is in a weird way illustrating my point about infintiy existing in math but not in the physical world.

i am ready to take that damn GED test mewo

No your use of a tape Measure only shows our inability to perceive things in small units or never repeating numbers. Humans like things to be whole and easy we have made most things that way.

Humans lack of ability to see things for what they are don't change the fact of what they are. Math is a part of everyday life perceived that way or not.

ok, help me out here. we are talking about my balance ball, right?

SOMEONE had to make my balance ball. How could they make it in the dimensions of an infinite number? The ball is not some approximation. it is a physical object that i can touch and bounce around on. someone make it with a machine and this machine hard regular hard numbers in it. someone did not feed it an infinitly long number.

Curtis_E_Bare - 

Calculus limits at infinity are very real.  It’s not just “math,” they have many practical real world applications.  Likewise with irrational numbers, It’s like saying the number “one” doesn’t exist outside of math.  The only time “one” shows up is in math.

What do you mean they are "real"? How do they exist? And how do you know they are real? Shit, how do any numbers exist?

People used to believe epicycles were real, because Ptolomaic astronomy was useful and had real world applications.

Jambo888 - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

except one has a very apparrent physical association whereas pi, e, SQRT 2, etc do not

I have one donkey. pretty easy for everybody, no matter their intelligence or education, to understand.

now zero took a while for people to accept... and imaginary numbers had the catholics burning people at the stake

“One” is certainly easier to understand and conceptualize I’ll agree.  But they are both exist.

Jambo888 - 

"This universe is not infinite in ... spacial dimensions."

this supposes there is an edge of the universe then... like the shoreline is the edge of a ocean. so what is just an inch beyond the edge of the universe?

i say that the universe started with a big bang and its width is dependent on how much expansion has occured since then.

i say our time is contained in our universe (check out the True Detective outside of time speech).

now, i do not think that we are contained in some infinite space becuase then you start getting into sily shit that come with infintie worlds. that there is a world (and world meaning what we are contained in) where every possible outcome has played out. So a world where cats can drive cars (hey toonces).

But, also, a world where there was nothing at all. and once you get to a world with nothing at all, how do you get back to one with anything in it.

Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

What do you mean they are "real"? How do they exist? And how do you know they are real? Shit, how do any numbers exist?

People used to believe epicycles were real, because Ptolomaic astronomy was useful and had real world applications.

Have you taken Calculus I and II?

Curtis_E_Bare -
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

Do you even calculus bro? Phone Post

Infinity has become a religion. Why are people so afraid of infinity not actually existing in reality?

Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

Yes, I have. I also studied Newton's Principia rather extensively in college. If memory serves, he is very clear that his limits should not be understood as actual infinites, although he often seems to treat them as such.

Will you answer my question now?

Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

Yes, I have. I also studied Newton's Principia rather extensively in college. If memory serves, he is very clear that his limits should not be understood as actual infinites, although he often seems to treat them as such.

I know infinity exists because I have used infinity.  It exists as much as any other number.  In terms of answering your question “Shit, how do any numbers exist?” I don’t take enough drugs to tackle that one.

Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

I know infinity exists because I have used infinity.  It exists as much as any other number.  In terms of answering your question “Shit, how do any numbers exist?” I don’t take enough drugs to tackle that one.

Just because mathematics is a useful tool does not mean that it "exists". Think of zero. Certainly, zero is useful. But does zero exist? What would that possibly mean. It is... nothing. How could nothing exist?

Nothing has no existence. If it did, then it would be something.

There is only something, and that something is what exists. We define what exists as the universe. Since there is nothing to limit what is (ie. the universe), the universe is infinite.

If there was something to limit the universe, it would have existence, and would simply be part of the universe. It could not be distinct and separate from the universe, as that would imply a separation of two things in existence by pure nothingness. If there really was nothing between these two things, then they would be perfectly contiguous.

So there is only one thing in existence, the universe, and it is infinite.. Something is naturally infinite in size unless it is limited by a similar substance. But there is only one substance. Phone Post 3.0

Jambo888 - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 
Phaedo - 
Curtis_E_Bare - 

Just because mathematics is a useful tool does not mean that it "exists". Think of zero. Certainly, zero is useful. But does zero exist? What would that possibly mean. It is... nothing. How could nothing exist?

zero isn't a thing any more than one is. it is a property of a thing.

How can zero be a property of a thing? If I have one apple, I suppose you could say "one" is a property of the apple (although I'm not even sure about this). But, if I have "zero" apples... there is nothing for zero to be the property of.

Jambo888 - 

"This universe is not infinite in ... spacial dimensions."

this supposes there is an edge of the universe then... like the shoreline is the edge of a ocean. so what is just an inch beyond the edge of the universe?

DE2Z + N(uT)s

Thacommish - "Nothing is infinite in time."

When does it start? end?

I read somewhere that time is needed for change. things are one way at one point in time and something else in another point in time.

and that if something was outside of time, that it could not change because time does not exist.