These Guys Are Amateurs?!?

By Joe Pawlus

josephpawlus@gmail.com

Hammond, Ind.- The legendary Chicagoland Total Fight Challenge hosted a night of amateur MMA action Friday night, but it was hard to tell. TFC loaded the card with skilled warriors and not a can among them.

Torres Martial Arts’ up-and-coming light heavyweight Bill Johnson had to wait until the last minute to find out who he would be fighting as Joe Gotiya had to find a third last minute replacement. As it turned out, Modern Martial Arts’ Brando, a huge light heavyweight, showed up to fill the bill and battle for the amateur belt.

During the first minute, the two opponents engaged in exploratory circling until Johnson threw a head kick and slipped to the mat. Brando moved in to strike, but Johnson was already back on his feet. For the remainder of the round, Johnson played a game of cat and mouse with Brando, never really gaining his rhythm until the end of the first round. With about a minute left to go in round one, Johnson engaged with an upper body clinch and tossed Brando to the ground. With the remaining seconds, Johnson controlled from the top side position and laid down some leather.

At the beginning of round two, Johnson wasted no time engaging with strikes, managed to secure a clinch position, and as he brought Brandon to the mat he was able to secure an armbar. This is the second armbar victory for Johnson in his last two fights, and the technique was almost identical.

Fight of the night came right out of the box as John Degan and Alex Markovic let it all hang out. Degan and Markovic spent most of the fight exchanging brutal strikes and fighting for position in the clinch. Markovic managed to absorb an incredible amount of punishment, but Degan eventually mauled his way to a unanimous victory after three rounds.

Malik Elliot earned submission of the night after brutalizing Efrain Vasquez for a full round. To his credit, Vasquez did everything he could to avoid being pounded into paste as Elliot put eight years of wrestling experience to work. Elliot dominated the entire first round, but Vasquez displayed giant stones as he survived to see round two.

Elliot once again pressed the action from the bell and slammed Vasquez to the mat. He caught his opponent in a vicious side controlled kimura at fifty-nine seconds of round two.

Honorable mentions go to the entire card, but standout performances were handed in by Jeremy Turner, Byron Traylor, Alex Alvarez, Leo Husarik, and Jeremy Sikorski.

Although it was an entire amateur event, all of the mixed martial artists demonstrated just how far the sport has evolved.

Bill Johnson def. Brando R2, 49 seconds, armbar

Guillermo Serement def. Bobby Reardanz R3, split decision

Jeremy Turner def. Byron Traylor R3, unanimous decision

Malik Elliot def. Efrain Vasquez R2, 59 seconds, kimura

Mike Cieo def. Ray Bohm R1, 1:27, TKO

Curtis Bailey def. Pete Barrera R1, 2:38, KO (knee)

Vaughn Camacho def. Josh Johnson R1, 1:08, triangle choke

Jake Narcy def. KC Irvin R1, 39 seconds, armbar

Rich Molina def. Tom Klest R2, 1:50, TKO

Alex Alvarez def. Chyle Vance R2, 2:32, TKO

Leo Husarik def. Jeremy Sikorski R2, 1:30, TKO (ref stop)

Dan Aguirre def. Donald Paskiewicz R1, 1:06, TKO

John Degan def. Alex Markovic R3, unanimous decision

missing your point with the Thread title

they are all amateurs, but fought like pros.

How can you tell?

Some of them went to decision. Rare that amateurs do that in my experience. In fact, round 2 is rare, a decision is almost unheard of. People usually go pro before they have the gas tank or defensive skill set to do that.

Bryan Reese - Some of them went to decision. Rare that amateurs do that in my experience. In fact, round 2 is rare, a decision is almost unheard of. People usually go pro before they have the gas tank or defensive skill set to do that.

I see lots of decisions in amateur mma around here. Probably more due to the lack of skill required to finish the fight than anything else.

Foundation - 
Bryan Reese - Some of them went to decision. Rare that amateurs do that in my experience. In fact, round 2 is rare, a decision is almost unheard of. People usually go pro before they have the gas tank or defensive skill set to do that.

I see lots of decisions in amateur mma around here. Probably more due to the lack of skill required to finish the fight than anything else.
What area? I'm speaking of experience from a few shows I went to in the Indiana area and a few we traveled to.

Eastern Ohio. I've seen my fair share of bad fights haha

THe thread title was in reference to the way these guys fought. Most amateur cards (and this one actually had two pro fights - found out from the promoter after the event, Guillermo Serement def. Bobby Reardanz and Curtis Bailey def. Pete Barrera) are usually pretty green...round one kos and subs.

I was trying to point out the evolution of the fight game based on the displayed skill levels. I have seen some crap amateur cards, and this was as good as some of the big show pro cards, guys leaving it all out there. Plus, the thread title gets more reads than if I wrote - Total Fight Challenge Results, eh?

EIther way, great show from ALL the fighters. TFC is an awesome card almost every time. Birht place of guys like Chambers, Bonnar, Hughes, Alves, Guida, and Torres.