they made history, founders of MMA

and by the way, NO ONE would mistake Yoshiaki for a kickboxer.... he was a dedicated wrestling student of Gotch's but he couldn't kick to save his life!

Kimura should be given a side note mention. Well traveled, contemporary and good friend of Mas Oyama, and challenge match winner over Helio. He also battled Pro Wrestling Icon Rikidozen, in what was billed as the "Match of the Century" in the late 50's in Japan. The match went from pre-arranged work to a shoot mid way through.

Rikidozen also gave Antonio Inoki his first break in Pro Wrestling

ttt

ttt

Good thread.

I believe the name of the fencer you are looking for is Aldo Nadi.

I just would like to clarify something on here. Jigaro Kano, despite all his great achievements in the world of Martial Arts, did NOT invent "alive" training. Such training was to be found in practically every culture in their wrestling since probably the dawn of man.

Regardless, this fact does not take away from his monumental achievements.

Daniel Mendoza, for boxing!

"Born in the Aldgate district of London, England, he was educated in a Jewish school. Anti-Semitic incidents led to numerous street fights in which he distinguished himself. Then he had a series of victories in the ring earning him such titles as 'Star of the East' and 'Light of Israel'. One of his contests was attended by the future king George IV of England who handed him the purse. Between 1788 and 1790 he fought three fights with the reigning champion, won two and was acclaimed the champion of England. His ring style revolutionized the sport, introducing a more rapid and elegant style of boxing. Mendoza was received by the king and the Jewish community looked on him as a hero. With his earnings he opened a London boxing school and some of his Jewish pupils became outstanding boxers. He toured extensively and always billed himself as 'Mendoza the Jew'. He lost his championship in 1795 and thereafter his generosity left him usually in debt. Two of his descendants were the English statesman Rufus Daniel Isaacs, 1st Marquees of Reading (1860-1935), and the actor, Peter Sellers (1925-1980)."

I walked past his house in Bethnal Green the other day. He wasn't in.

Fightstudent: Alive training as the main thrust of the art was nearly unknown at that point in the eastern MAs.

interesting you mentioned Ch'ang Tung Sheng. I always wonder if the stories of the number of fights he had are true. He did seem to believe in cross training, as he knew several KF systems in addition to his own.

Bruce Lee

Gene Lebell

Larry Hartsell...SP??

Chuck Norris

Helio, Carlson, Rickson, and Royce Gracie.

Masa Funaki

Ken Shamrock

ttt

Geez, so many.

All the usual suspects: Kano, Helio, Carlson Sr, Rorion, Royce.

And let's not forget Kirik and this sites crew without whom we wouldn't even have this conversation. This site has just about kept the sport going at times and The Fighter's Notebook has been a huge influence.

Nathan

well, I'd def say people who created media centers like this and mousel's have pushed our sport forward, especially in the dark ban stages...

but some of the others, I still prefer the big ripple guys