Things one should know before joining a gym?

Thanks, and is it generally accepted for a noob to attend open trainings?

This is all good info for when they decide to have some sort of MMA gym or a no gi gym in my area. Phone Post 3.0

BusterBluth - Thanks, and is it generally accepted for a noob to attend open trainings?

Get over the "Spaz"(I hate that term but i can't think of a better way to describe it) stage and then go. You'll get beaten up a bit, but you'll be better for it.

flemingo - 
BusterBluth - Thanks, and is it generally accepted for a noob to attend open trainings?

Get over the "Spaz"(I hate that term but i can't think of a better way to describe it) stage and then go. You'll get beaten up a bit, but you'll be better for it.

Yeah, I hope to avoid that phase as best as possible., but I suppose everyone goes through it.

I'm quite wary of doing something stupid like eye poking etc.

Make sure you leave a strong first impression.

First session go really hard and hurt as many people as you can so they know their getting a serious fighter.

Claim the mats are dirty, and demand to have them cleaned so they know you won't tolerate that shit.

Also question the price of training and try to cut a better deal as you plan to fight UFC by the end of the year.

And finally, tell them, don't ask, that you will be selling Peanut Butter at the counter. And if any of them ni$$as got a problem with it then come get punchy! Phone Post 3.0

flemingo - 
Saltine American - 
BusterBluth - Whats the problem with anti bacterial soaps like dial?
It kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. You want good skin flora maaan. Phone Post 3.0

If you remove all your normal flora from your skin it makes it easier for other bacteria to colonise or for some of your normally harmless flora to overpopulate an area (like staph)

100% NOT true. You are confusing this with healthy "gut" bacteria.

(Verified with numerous medical professionals before posting.)

EvilGumby -
flemingo - 
Saltine American - 
It kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. You want good skin flora maaan. Phone Post 3.0

If you remove all your normal flora from your skin it makes it easier for other bacteria to colonise or for some of your normally harmless flora to overpopulate an area (like staph)

I'm not sure about the flora but for like 6 months I had ring worm or staph just about everyday. I went to multiple doctors, they all put me on different antibiotics and it would go away and comeback. Finally I went to a Dermatologist they asked me if I used antibacterial soap to bathe with u said yes. Dude basically said stop doing that idiot you are killing all your good bacteria., start using moisturizing shampoo. Since I started using that about 2 years ago I have had no outbreaks. Phone Post 3.0

^not u but I said yes. Phone Post 3.0

I apologize for reposting this information for those of you who have seen this before but for the rest of the forum who may have questions on hygiene I think we cover it here pretty well.

http://www.defensesoap.com/Jiu-Jitsu-Hygiene-Guide.pdf

As always we offer samples and have our UG discount.

Guy
Defense Soap

Do:
Show up early and clean.
Clip finger n toe nails.
Shut up and listen.
Ask questions pertaining to technique at appropriate times
Be friendly and open to learn.

DONT:
-ask "what if" questions : there is a counter to everything, if you are being shown a technique just try to get what you're instructors are showing you instead of thinking about hypotheticals in that position, this is especially annoying in Bjj
- start a sentence with "I learned to do it like..." They're not interested in how u originally learned it. Repeat the technique shown
- go 100% with everyone: within a very short time you will find out who wants to go hard and who doesn't, respect that. I recommend you don't go your hardest, quick way to get mangled by more advanced students. Start off gushing your effort of what you feel from them or let them lead the dance so to speak. You'll quickly learn how to spar and with whom you want to
- ask about promotions or advancement, just keep going and they come
- try to brag or talk about your credentials, no one cares and you might come off as a douche
- don't be afraid to tap!! It's practice, nobody worth their salt counts taps. You'll catch your self doing it early on but try to stay away from it
-put it on someone too hard that has been there longer your first day: if you are beating on a student really bad or playing dirty (I came from wrestling and many things we do in wrestling are considered dirty in bjj) Most certainly you will get fed a shark a get your turn being the nail instead of the hammer. If your just walking in , virtually everyone is ahead of the game so respect that.
Overall have fun, don't put to much pressure on your self to grow, it will happen. Push yourself but also remember this is a service your paying for, if u don't like it, try another gym until you find the right fit. If it's not fun somethings wrong.
Good luck,keep us updated!! Phone Post 3.0

Clip your nails and wear clean clothes and deodorant, sounds silly but some people don't do it Phone Post 3.0

BusterBluth - I will be looking to join a gym in the next month or two, and am wanting to see if there is any advice you all may have for a noob like myself...like how to conduct myself, good habits, appropriate attire etc.

I will discuss this with the trainers when I visit the gym, but I thought I'd take advantage of the knowledge here.
Sub Phone Post 3.0

Does anyone wear wrestling shoes during submission wrestling?

BusterBluth - Does anyone wear wrestling shoes during submission wrestling?
If it's a bjj school our the like, absolutely not

If wrestling, then yes

I'd guess Hell no Phone Post 3.0

pistolpete86 - Clip your nails and wear clean clothes and deodorant, sounds silly but some people don't do it Phone Post 3.0
True, I've needed to tell some people to wash their feet, no joke Phone Post 3.0

TKD LOL - 
BusterBluth - Does anyone wear wrestling shoes during submission wrestling?
If it's a bjj school our the like, absolutely not

If wrestling, then yes

I'd guess Hell no Phone Post 3.0

Its a question that will have to be asked, but AMC Pankration does have submission wrestling and I'm sure I've seem pictures of people wearing the.

*them

dhughes -
cg51mma -
EvilGumby -
flemingo - 
Saltine American - 

I'm not sure about the flora but for like 6 months I had ring worm or staph just about everyday. I went to multiple doctors, they all put me on different antibiotics and it would go away and comeback. Finally I went to a Dermatologist they asked me if I used antibacterial soap to bathe with u said yes. Dude basically said stop doing that idiot you are killing all your good bacteria., start using moisturizing shampoo. Since I started using that about 2 years ago I have had no outbreaks. Phone Post 3.0
Doctors out you on antibiotics for a fungal infection?? I find that very hard to believe. Phone Post 3.0
Anti fungal is for ring worm, antibiotics is for the staph. I was having problems with both. Phone Post 3.0

Saltine American - Know who your instructors are and their backgrounds. If you have options in your area, find the gym with the best coaches. If anything, remember that.
Look for signs of a bad gym. Do they have a Zumba class blasting that Pitbull music when your instructor is trying to give instruction?
Behavior at a gym is common sense, and you'll realize where everyone puts their bags and waters, how they feel about coming late, etc. within the first week.
You'll get a pass on any newbie mistakes like wearing blue gi pants and white gi top, or changing shirts in the open gym in the first few weeks, but remember, you're paying good money (I assume) for a service, so be humble, but get what you have coming. Don't be too shy to ask a question, or ask the instructor to repeat a move again if you didn't catch it.
Don't get scared grappling with chicks. Go as hard as they do, and put your hands where you would put them on a man. Unless it's her tits or crotch. Avoid putting your hands there, but if it happens, embrace the moment, but move the hand quick. Phone Post 3.0
I lold at Zumba class. My gym has a class going on the other side of the wall. Hear their music nonstop lol but we play ours too.

That being said, my gym is pretty legit aside from that. Phone Post 3.0

In Phone Post 3.0