Thinking about BUYING A GUN for Home Protection

I've never shot or handled a real gun in my entire life. I had pellet guns as a teenage but I've never actually fired a real gun. I just moved into a first floor apartment and theres a sliding glass door and window thats low to the floor. Somebody could smash through both and walk right in. Even if I called the cops somebody could kill me before they even show up. Is buying and learning how to use a gun my best option for home defense?

find a local shooting range and consult with their staff.  shoot a bunch of different guns and the right one will come to ya.   

Don't use it on yourself!

. I feel safer without a gun anyways to be honest.

Get a dog

12 gauge. It's hard to miss.

RedneckBeiBer - Get a dog

lady I'm renting from said no dogs or cats, or else i'd get one

You need a shotgun. It's got a good spread. Further away you are, the more shit you hit.

Yes, you have to exercise care and responsibility but its not a big deal.

Go buy a Glock 19 or Sig P226.

And for "fail safe" security, you can have a full magazine without chambering a round.

Gun cant fire without a bullet in the chamber.

If someone tries to rape you, chamber your round in a second and youre good to go.

Hashtag - 12 gauge. It's hard to miss.
That's a myth. It's (almost) as easy to miss with a shotgun plus follow up shots are way slower and round count is extremely low.
Shotguns are fun but are outdated as far as being a self defense weapon

FreightTrain - Yes, you have to exercise care and responsibility but its not a big deal.

And for "fail safe" security, you can have a full magazine without chambering a round.

If someone tries to rape you, chamber your round in a second and youre good to go.
I'm w this guy for a handgun. I went for M&P Shield 9mm though, as it is very reliable and low price point.

First gun - and apartment - wouldn't go shotgun. Really easy to carry and pull out a 9mm. One other important factor, where do you live? I have a range 1 mile away from my house that I can fire most handguns, and it is open 24/7. I have insomnia, love to run over and fire a few clips when I can't sleep. No range that I know of that you can go fire shotguns indoors for practice.

ChipW -
That's a myth. It's (almost) as easy to miss with a shotgun plus follow up shots are way slower and round count is extremely low.

Everyting you just said is a myth except for them being fun.

Get a shotgun with a laser/flaslight combo. And load it with buckshot. I have seen double barrels that hold 14 rounds. If you really want to  fuck shit up get one of those AKs in 12 guage with a drum magazine.

Shotgun is only answer. Unless you want to risk shooting through multiple walls.

Areola Wani -
ChipW -

Get a shotgun with a laser/flaslight combo. And load it with buckshot. I have seen double barrels that hold 14 rounds. If you really want to  fuck shit up get one of those AKs in 12 guage with a drum magazine.

To each their own. I love shotguns but I'm a gun guy and it sounds like you are as well.
It sounds like the OP is not yet a gun guy. I'd recommend for his first gun he get a pistol (glock 19 because they're so prolific) and learn to use it well. Once he becomes a gun guy, by all means buy a whole quiver full all types of guns.

My advice is always buy a glock19 and learn to use it, then AR15 and learn to use it. Once your proficient with pistol and rifle by all means branch out into what ever direction your heart desires.

Hashtag - 12 gauge. It's hard to miss.

sigh.... Shoot a round of Skeet or Sporting Clays just ONE TIME and find out how false that tired old piece of internet BULLSHIT is.

Now tell him the one about "You don't even need to load it, just rack the slid..."

You STILL have to aim a shotgun.

OP, a shotgun DOES tend to be the best option for home defense. A Remington 870 Home Defense like the one pictured below, or a similar Mossberg 500, is inexpensive, tough, reliable, and easy to use.

And it's perfect right out of the box. I have one next to my bed right now.

BJTT-ComeHonorFace - You need a shotgun. It's got a good spread. Further away you are, the more shit you hit.

At home distances a shotgun pattern, even a short barrel shotgun (18" legal length) will only be about four inches across.

Whatever you get, make sure to get a lot of good training in. The last thing you want is to buy a gun and let it sit there untouched until you have to use it and then not know how to operate it properly. Shooting is a perishable skill.

I would recommend a glock 19 as well.

I would also recommend going to a local range, or gun store and enquire about taking some classes and trying out a varity of things.  A gun will do more harm then good if you do not know how to use it.  

choadler -
FreightTrain - Yes, you have to exercise care and responsibility but its not a big deal.

I'm w this guy for a handgun. I went for M&P Shield 9mm though, as it is very reliable and low price point.

First gun - and apartment - wouldn't go shotgun. Really easy to carry and pull out a 9mm. One other important factor, where do you live? I have a range 1 mile away from my house that I can fire most handguns, and it is open 24/7. I have insomnia, love to run over and fire a few clips when I can't sleep. No range that I know of that you can go fire shotguns indoors for practice.
"fire a few clips"

And here we go!

ChipW - 
Areola Wani -
ChipW -

To each their own. I love shotguns but I'm a gun guy and it sounds like you are as well.
It sounds like the OP is not yet a gun guy. I'd recommend for his first gun he get a pistol (glock 19 because they're so prolific) and learn to use it well. Once he becomes a gun guy, by all means buy a whole quiver full all types of guns.

My advice is always buy a glock19 and learn to use it, then AR15 and learn to use it. Once your proficient with pistol and rifle by all means branch out into what ever direction your heart desires.

Well, a gun is a tool. A tool is only ever good or not depending on how well it does the job you are asking it to do.

OP said "GUN for Home Protection." That tells me it is a gun he will be leaving at home. and only used to protect himself and his family when he is home. IMO the best tool for that job is a shotgun.

If OP has instead said "personal protection" then that would have implied something to protect himself and his family both when he was home AND when he was out. So a pistol that works well for both home and CCW would be the right tool for the job. Glock 19s, Sig P320s and Sig P229s excel at that. Both Sigs are more expensive than the Glock, but the P320 only slightly so (for now). The P229 is nearly TWICE as expansive as the G19.

If he had said "for CCW" then I could have recommended one of the sub-compact single stacks like the S&W Shield.

quarcus - Shotgun is only answer. Unless you want to risk shooting through multiple walls.

This!

870 Express or similar