Thinking about buying a motorcycle.. TME

Fell in love with neighbors Harley Iron 883 the other day. I looked them up online and was shocked to see they were cheaper than car I am two payments from paying off.

I am really only interested in this model or another one like it. Love the black on black! None the less, my work is 6 miles up the road and I work in the middle of the night when the roads are dead. Really considering getting one of these.

Anyone have any advice? Phone Post 3.0

JimLahey - Do it faggot
I like the way you think, sir. Phone Post 3.0

Have you ridden in the past? Phone Post 3.0

RATFINK13 - Have you ridden in the past? Phone Post 3.0
Absolutely not, just grown up around the culture. My parents have two bikes. Phone Post 3.0

the_b00ts -
Retired Blue Belt -
Absolutely not, just grown up around the culture. My parents have two bikes. Phone Post 3.0
"Doesn't matter. Buy a Kawasaki ZX-14. Best bike ever. You won't regret it!"

-OG Squids Phone Post 3.0
Hah, what is this about? Phone Post 3.0

I would go for a dual sport bike first or maybe a low CC ninja or CBR. I have a Yamaha FZ 650 and it's a crotch rocket/touring hybrid. If your not into sport bikes I'd look into a Honda shadow or a low cc Harley. Phone Post 3.0

Having the same thoughts op. I'm considering taking a 2 day biking course to get my license. Phone Post 3.0

illegitimateDiaz - I would go for a dual sport bike first or maybe a low CC ninja or CBR. I have a Yamaha FZ 650 and it's a crotch rocket/touring hybrid. If your not into sport bikes I'd look into a Honda shadow or a low cc Harley. Phone Post 3.0
Any reason why you would point me in another direction than the HD Iron 883? Phone Post 3.0

Beer and Hotdogs - Having the same thoughts op. I'm considering taking a 2 day biking course to get my license. Phone Post 3.0
I guess this would be a good start, have you priced them out? Phone Post 3.0

Take the safety course , get your gear and then start looking , plus with the safety course you won't have to take your dmv test to get your license Phone Post 3.0

Retired Blue Belt -
Beer and Hotdogs - Having the same thoughts op. I'm considering taking a 2 day biking course to get my license. Phone Post 3.0
No, but the motorcycle training course cost about 250$ Phone Post 3.0

Beer and Hotdogs -
Retired Blue Belt -
No, but the motorcycle training course cost about 250$ Phone Post 3.0
That's what I meant. Dang, not exactly cheap, but I suppose it's fair. Phone Post 3.0

Buy something used, small, and cheap. Ride it until you are competent then sell it and buy the Harley. If you lose a couple hundred on the starter bike it's still a lot cheaper than fixing the Harley when you drop it. Phone Post 3.0

Kubla khan - Buy something used, small, and cheap. Ride it until you are competent then sell it and buy the Harley. If you lose a couple hundred on the starter bike it's still a lot cheaper than fixing the Harley when you drop it. Phone Post 3.0

A good starter bike is worth its weight in gold, the biggest thing to become a good competent rider is confidence. If you have half a brain you will not be confident for quite some time on the road.

Take the MSF class, tons of knowledge and experience you can gain from them, on top of an insurance discount.

Eyes open constantly, in the 3 years I've been on a bike I've almost been smashed by someone not paying attention no less than 30 times, and my most recent bike was a very loud bright orange Repsol CBR sport bike, so not exactly subdued , most of the time in traffic, and someone either doesn't see me and tries to merge, pulls out in front, or almost rear ends me and doesn't brake.

Dress for the fall, not the ride. No one wants bacon skin.

Any other questions PM me

the_b00ts -
Retired Blue Belt -
the_b00ts -
Retired Blue Belt -
"Doesn't matter. Buy a Kawasaki ZX-14. Best bike ever. You won't regret it!"

-OG Squids Phone Post 3.0
Hah, what is this about? Phone Post 3.0
Some people here tell inexperienced riders here to just get the most powerful bikes.

I started out small and worked my way up the tiers until I had a CBR1000RR.

Look for MSF courses in your area. They will give you the feel for riding on 250s and it will bypass the riding portion at DMV when you go to get your endorsement. It also helps to have for lower insurance. From there, find a reasonable bike. In the street bike world, I tell people to start with something small, 600cc at the most. Actually, with traffic laws, a 600cc is all you need.

V-Twin Harleys are different, obviously. So I would research what most beginners start on there. Once your comfortable in that, I would wait even longer before upgrading in power.

Just my $.02 Phone Post 3.0
I see, some good advice! It's definitely not a power thing for me. I am drawn to the look of this bike specifically.

The wife and I are getting older and I am looking for something her and I can do on the weekends that's fairly cheap. Phone Post 3.0

slagathor -
Kubla khan - Buy something used, small, and cheap. Ride it until you are competent then sell it and buy the Harley. If you lose a couple hundred on the starter bike it's still a lot cheaper than fixing the Harley when you drop it. Phone Post 3.0

A good starter bike is worth its weight in gold, the biggest thing to become a good competent rider is confidence. If you have half a brain you will not be confident for quite some time on the road.

Take the MSF class, tons of knowledge and experience you can gain from them, on top of an insurance discount.

Eyes open constantly, in the 3 years I've been on a bike I've almost been smashed by someone not paying attention no less than 30 times, and my most recent bike was a very loud bright orange Repsol CBR sport bike, so not exactly subdued , most of the time in traffic, and someone either doesn't see me and tries to merge, pulls out in front, or almost rear ends me and doesn't brake.

Dress for the fall, not the ride. No one wants bacon skin.

Any other questions PM me
Thanks for the info, definitely going to do the course.

I hear what you're saying. My parents are full on bikers who have ridden for most my life, they don't ride much these days in the city because they feel it's too dangerous.

That said, I am mostly driving to work at 3:00AM. The roads are empty, yeah I got to watch out for drunk drivers, but I feel it's not really a risk right now. I live in a nice area and my work is in a nicer area. Phone Post 3.0

I'd buy the cheapest 883 possible if you must. Preferably I'd start on a ninja 300 or something similar if you have never ridden. No one that rides an 883 wants it, it's what they can afford at the time or for whatever reason don't want to be on a big harley just yet.
If you really want a harley even if you buy an 883 it won't be long until you want a softail slim or a wide glide so I'd spend fuck all on the bike purchase and stay away from parts.
I have owned a kawasaki 300 and a 650. The jump to the 103 cube softail was a massive one. Phone Post 3.0

How old are you? My motorcycle advice is heavily influenced by maturity level. Phone Post 3.0

BookOfReason - I'd buy the cheapest 883 possible if you must. Preferably I'd start on a ninja 300 or something similar if you have never ridden. No one that rides an 883 wants it, it's what they can afford at the time or for whatever reason don't want to be on a big harley just yet.
If you really want a harley even if you buy an 883 it won't be long until you want a softail slim or a wide glide so I'd spend fuck all on the bike purchase and stay away from parts.
I have owned a kawasaki 300 and a 650. The jump to the 103 cube softail was a massive one. Phone Post 3.0
I actually don't like the look of almost any other Harley. So for me personally, it's the Iron 883 with a few mods or nothing. I disagree with its what they can afford, I am a fan of bobbers over all. Phone Post 3.0

Curtis_E_Bare - How old are you? My motorcycle advice is heavily influenced by maturity level. Phone Post 3.0
I am 31. Phone Post 3.0