Thinking about going to college.

I'm 26 now, never went to college after high school. It always seemed kinda like a waste, with all the student loans. I have a decent job, make about 22/hr, but everyday it becomes more apparent that this is not what I want to do forever.

Anybody have experience going to College 10 years late? Should I do it? Should I just find a different job, and stay out of debt? I have social anxiety, and I'm worried about showing up, looking way older than everybody else, and sticking out. Phone Post 3.0

Started college at 22, almost 24 now. Best decision I made. Worked 4 years as a custodian making decent money but not what I wanted to do. I'd say go for it and at least try. You'd be surprised at the amount of older adults you'll have in your classes. Highly doubt you'll be the oldest in every one. Just make sure you know what you want to do and then go for it. Phone Post 3.0

Havent you seen 22 Jump Street? They wont even know bro.

Seriously though, its awesome you wanna positively influence your life. Do it man, college girls, spring break, goddamn can I come with you? Im 27. Phone Post 3.0

Do it, but make sure you get a degree that you have at least some interest in. Also look for a degree/certification with a positive job outlook. Phone Post 3.0

30, getting ready to start in 2 weeks. Found a community college near me that offers the entire AS-T I want online, then I'll transfer to a university that offers the bachelors I want online. I'm nervous as shit but why not try to improve myself and career right? Phone Post 3.0

I got my B.S. In business- operations management. It was a beneficial learning experience but most importantly put me in touch with great people and professionals. Phone Post 3.0

Do it, but get a degree in something that you 1) like and 2) can get a job with.  Don't get a degree that you won't be able to get a job with.  That would be a waste.

Don't do it unless you will finish what you start.

Don't do it unless you are going to study for a career that will make you a decent income. Remember even Biochem Phd's make less than 50k for a few years. Sometimes up to 5-10 years of less than 50k post doc work with What? 10 years of school. Trust me i know. Sometimes STEM degrees don't pay the big bucks, you have to earn it, it will not come from the degree alone.

Forget about all the social stuff. If that is what you are worried about then you will fail. What the dumbass kiddies at college think should be the absolute last thing you worry about. College course work is not easy, espceically the higher level courses in any worthwhile degree.

You need to have a career or job in mind and then school yourself for exactly that type of postion with a known salary. People will tell you otherwise but they are fucking stupid, if you are vague with your goals and education you will be compensated vaguely.

Do everything humanly possible to avoid going into debt. That means take courses at local community colleges first then move to the university. Get scholaships, take a second jobs. The debt will destroy you if you take to much out. My advice is do not take a single dime out for college, you will thank yourself for your hard work later.

Yes and plan on getting a Masters degree from the onset. Its usually only a few more courses and perhaps a thesis. Not worth the effort without it. You won't be making 22$ hr with jobs out the gate without adavanced education or the right field. IE business, law, healthcare, Administration.

Engineers can still get by with Bachelors, but that day is fading as well for any real advancement.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I'm 26 now, never went to college after high school. It always seemed kinda like a waste, with all the student loans. I have a decent job, make about 22/hr, but everyday it becomes more apparent that this is not what I want to do forever.

Anybody have experience going to College 10 years late? Should I do it? Should I just find a different job, and stay out of debt? I have social anxiety, and I'm worried about showing up, looking way older than everybody else, and sticking out. Phone Post 3.0

At 26 you won't really stick out unless you're an old 26.

You will stick out, you will have anxiety, you will want to kill yourself, you will want to sleep with your classmates, you will screw up, you will hate having to grind out going to class semester after semester, you will learn pointless shit, you will waste alot of time on pointless classes, you will work yourself to death to stay out of debt, you will question yourself.

Everything that will suck is going to happen at some point. you just gotta enjoy making a better life for yourself and push through all the BS.

You will learn and get out of the degree EXACTLY what you put into it

Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA -

Yes and plan on getting a Masters degree from the onset. Its usually only a few more courses and perhaps a thesis. Not worth the effort without it. You won't be making 22$ hr with jobs out the gate without adavanced education or the right field. IE business, law, healthcare, Administration.

Engineers can still get by with Bachelors, but that day is fading as well for any real advancement.

It's usually only a few more courses maybe a thesis?

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

I have a Masters in Recombinant Plant Genetics and Cancer Genetics soooo.... maybe just a little.

Working towards Phd

LiquidLaotzuMMA -
Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA -

I have a Masters in Recombinant Plant Genetics and Cancer Genetics soooo.... maybe just a little.

Working towards Phd

My MS was 30 hours ( 10 courses basically) and a Thesis. Sometimes you can take a few more courses and not do a thesis. Non-Thesis track.

How about you?

The delta between what a college grad earns in their lifetime vs. a HS grad is $1M.

Plus, nobody can ever take your education away.

Go forth and conquer.

HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - I'm 26 now, never went to college after high school. It always seemed kinda like a waste, with all the student loans. I have a decent job, make about 22/hr, but everyday it becomes more apparent that this is not what I want to do forever.

Go and don't look back. I pay $14 to $25 an hour. I have 20 year old kids who are making 50K a year with overtime. I tell them regularly that is great for a young guy or girl but won't be nearly as great when you are married and have kids. I also won't consider them for promotion to salaried positions without their degree.

Having a degree does not guarantee you a job but it does let you apply for 75% more well paying jobs than a resume with a high school education only.

Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA - 
LiquidLaotzuMMA -
Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA -

Working towards Phd

My MS was 30 hours ( 10 courses basically) and a Thesis. Sometimes you can take a few more courses and not do a thesis. Non-Thesis track.

How about you?

30 hours, 10 courses is a lot more than a few more courses maybe a thesis.

Only for a whiney loser

Z NEDCMK1 -
TInkerbellBeefcake -
LiquidLaotzuMMA -
Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA - 
LiquidLaotzuMMA -
Z NEDCMK1 -
LiquidLaotzuMMA -

Working towards Phd

How about you?

30 hours, 10 courses is a lot more than a few more courses maybe a thesis.

Only for a whiney loser

Did one of your plant cancers implant itself into your asshole? Phone Post 3.0

Probably another TUFer/Dr Shop alt.

Yall bitches sure do bitch about the most rediculous shit sometimes.

Ok You WIN. Its not a few more courses and maybe a thesis.

It's slightly more than a few more courses then maybe a thesis.

LOL. anything else you could cry and pick at?

There is a very old very long thread about this already that I still see pop up from time to time.

I went back at 30 & it was one of the best decisions I ever made, but it's not for everybody.

I appreciate all the great input. If I go, it will be for something practical. I'm definitely not going there for a liberal arts degree. I wish it was something I could do full time, and just jump into. But I have a full time job to work around. Luckily I don't have a spouse or children.

I'm also a little worried about the actual work. I'm a smart guy, but I'm not good at math, at all. I'm not really interested in the social aspect, more worried that the team is a social aspect. That's kind of what fucked me in high school, being far more concerned with my social life. I don't really have one now, so I'm not concerned with it taking priority, and I'm infinitely more responsible. Phone Post 3.0